general advice on T1N built 2005; looking to buy

Hello. I'm considering buying a class c 2006 Winnebago View 23J, which is on a Sprinter T1N manufactured in late 2005, with 160,000 miles. It's at a dealer on consignment, so I'm still digging into the vehicle's history and maintenance records. It appears to have been heavily used, but cared for inside, but not garaged. Anyway, I just retired and have never worked on cars before, but I'm getting under them now and am very interested in doing as much as I can, short of major engine work. Before I would close on the vehicle, I'd get an RV inspector to go over it and take it to a MB dealer for a mechanical evaluation. I have not made an offer yet. I was a real estate developer, so I'm used to transactional process.

For now, I'm just trying to see if some folks here have some advice on what I saw today, which was that the bottom of the engine was wet with oil. I couldn't see well where it was coming from, but higher up on the engine than I could see. The vehicle is parked on small grey gravel, not on a rack. I can confirm the sprinter was at that spot a few days, and no drip was down on the gravel, but the "pan", if that's what I was looking at, seemed wet. I have no idea how bad this is, if at all. My 2011 F350 had a "wet pan" and it cost $1,200 to replace the seal between the motor and the transmission; no idea if this sprinter may have a similar issue.

My thought is I'd contract to buy it subject to inspections and my price would be based on no material repairs (over $500 say) discovered in my inspections. If over $500, I could drop the deal and eat the inspection costs, or negotiate to split it, whatever makes sense. I have no idea if this could be a $750 issue or a $4,750 issue.

I like the RV, but I refuse to make an emotional decision. Any thoughts? At this point, I have not made my opening offer to purchase it yet and they want $47,000 for it, which seems 20% high. The RV is loaded with every option that Winnebago offered, including a 3.6 Kw generator, but still, I'm thinking this is a $33,000 vehicle. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Look at RV Trader.com. I think you'll find that a 2006 View with those miles is more in the range of $25K. And you should find them with under 50K miles for less than what you're looking at.

Gary

cacaw

We have a 2007 H. (The newer J's are almost two feet longer than the old ones, which had a very small rear bed.)

If I were in your shoes, I'd be aiming for a dry-state (western US) single-owner 2007 (without the rusty sill cap found on the 2006's) with about 40,000 miles for about $40,000. Restricting your search to your specific area is not a good idea.

molloy

We have a 2007 H. (The newer J's are almost two feet longer than the old ones, which had a very small rear bed.)

If I were in your shoes, I'd be aiming for a dry-state (western US) single-owner 2007 (without the rusty sill cap found on the 2006's) with about 40,000 miles for about $40,000. Restricting your search to your specific area is not a good idea.

I'm a noob here, so forgive any forum etiquette misunderstandings on my part - just point them out!

What interests me in @cawaw's comment is the reference to the "rusty sill cap found on the 2006s".

I'm looking at a 2006 right now - never RVed before - and it has the rusty sill cap. Winnebago Industries no longer sell the part apparently - see the part numbers below. My expectation is that I can brush the steel sill clean (awkward work, for sure), primer, paint, and seal it with a urethane sealant like sikaflex, and keep an eye on it thereafter.

However, on what looks like an otherwise good condition 2006 View (42k miles), the rusty sill cap surely wouldn't be a deterrent against buying it, right?

molloy

I forgot the part numbers is the prior post (noob error #1):

1 151287-01-12B EA SILL - ROOF CAP/CAB - BRIGHT WHITE FROM: 00-00-00 THRU: 04-16-06
1 151287-01-02A EA SILL - ROOF CAP/CAB - BRIGHT WHITE FROM: 04-17-06 THRU: 99-99-99

Top Bottom