HELP! Oil level indicator

germanad

I replaced the oil pan gasket of my om611 engine. When i start the engine.. after ten seconds the oil indicator appear (no Hi no Lo). The oil level was 100cm3 High. I quit 1/2 liter of oil but the light is in the dash again. If i drive the sprinter the indicator appear and dissapear

How can i check the oil lever sensor?

How can i check the oil lever sensor?
I can't answer your question.

... If I drive the Sprinter the indicator appears and disappears.
With what frequency? If it comes on when the engine gets hot, and stays off when the engine is cold(er) then maybe you didn't drain aka "quit" enough oil. Your crankcase level may still be just a bit too high/overfilled.

vic

Last edited:

germanad

I can't answer your question.

With what frequency? If it comes on when the engine gets hot, and stays off when the engine is cold(er) then maybe you didn't drain aka "quit" enough oil. Your crankcase level may still be just a bit too high/overfilled.

vic
The engine was cold. The Frequency was twenty seconds on. Ten seconds off. Etc

So its impossible that this indicator appear because the low pressure?
Correct.

The T1N Sprinter has no OEM oil pressure monitor. Any dash indication will relate to sump aka crankcase oil level. Added: or oil condition???

Is it possible that you somehow disturbed the proper orientation of the level sensor while the pan was off for the seal change? Check that the electrical connector is not corroded and is properly seated

vic

Last edited:

I remember that i cleaned the pan with water. Maybe the sensor recognize water in the oil
If you aren't getting a LOW or HI indication I suppose that is a possibility. If true given time it may dry out.

Not that you asked...
Why water? I should think that mineral spirits or even diesel fuel would be the better choice for cleaning.

vic

germanad

its strange, now the indicator shuts on everytime.
i must dismount the sensor and i will clean it.

i cleaned the pan with diesel, and then with water! :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

germanad

If you aren't getting a LOW or HI indication I suppose that is a possibility. If true given time it may dry out.

Not that you asked...
Why water? I should think that mineral spirits or even diesel fuel would be the better choice for cleaning.

vic
I'm going to go crazy. now after a few meters, turn on the light and mark me -2lts. in the dipstick was at the minimum. I added a liter and it reached almost to the maximum. for my bad luck it keeps scoring -2lts. will the sensor be locked?

in the dipstick was at the minimum. ...
Red handle or yellow handle on the dip stick? Was the engine hot or cold?
Red = Hot Check.
Yellow = Cold Check.

Beginning with my first car, a 1959 Triumph Wagon, I never had an oil level dash warning until buying the 2004 Sprinter. You can live without an automated oil level monitor.

My guess.
It is likely that your water cleaning method has affected the sensor operation.

If the mechanical dip stick shows proper level, ignore the automated dash warning.

Give it some time. Any water will take quite some time to migrate away (if it ever does).

vic

germanad

Red handle or yellow handle on the dip stick? Was the engine hot or cold?
Red = Hot Check.
Yellow = Cold Check.

Beginning with my first car, a 1959 Triumph Wagon, I never had an oil level dash warning until buying the 2004 Sprinter. You can live without an automated oil level monitor.

My guess.
It is likely that your water cleaning method has affected the sensor operation.

If the mechanical dip stick shows proper level, ignore the automated dash warning.

Give it some time. Any water will take quite some time to migrate away (if it ever does).

vic
it has red dipstick, i think that the problem is on the sensor too.
its strange that the water into the sensor make a wrong measure. maybe changing the sensor will solve, i hope.
the van isnt mine!!
what should be the cause of disconnecting the sensor?

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Ths forum is outstanding. Learn something every day! I did not know you could measure oil quantity in millimeters..... Only in Germany!

Red handle.
Check the oil with a hot, or at least warm engine.

what should be the cause [response?] of disconnecting the sensor?
I don't know. You can certainly disconnect the sensor without any worry of serious results. It may give a dash warning, or maybe nothing. Try it and see.
vic

germanad

Red handle.
Check the oil with a hot, or at least warm engine.

I don't know. You can certainly disconnect the sensor without any worry of serious results. It may give a dash warning, or maybe nothing. Try it and see.
vic
i will try it and then comment you the results

Top Bottom