Windsurfing Vanformation

jogger

I began the windsurfing van transformation today.
Pulled out last 2 rows of benches (no, I am keeping them for now) and removed the partition.
Next step is to mount it even with the second glass/sliding door.
I will retain the first row bench and have 9'8" of space for the boards!
More pics to come as I continue the installation.

Attachments

312 diesel (closed)

That's cheating, looks like you started with a very nice Sprinter:tongue:

Seriously though, looks like a nice project, I'll be keeping an eye out for updates

jogger

I didn't like the idea of sheetmetal screws or nutserts holding up my board rack so I came up with this.
Stainless 5/16" carriage bolts as studs to hold up some UniStrut. The carriage bolts kept slipping back into the void so I jammed washers on them.
I am going with 1 1/2" styrofoam sheets, the factory "insulation" holds them firmly in place.

Attachments

windsprinter

I can see why you wouldn't like sheet metal screws for a board rack, but why not nutserts? I've had my rack on some pretty rough washboard last weekend and its bomber. So far, anyway!

BTW are you a Nitinat sailor? The road is supposed to be the worst ever this year, 0 maintanance and no grading. Might as well go to Baja!

312 diesel (closed)

Wouldn't it be easier to put a washer on the back of the nutsert before you pull it down? That way you have some load spreading on the nutsert as it experiences pulling forces.

jogger

The relatively small loading area of the nutsert was my main concern (or was it because I'm cheap?, one or the other)
I am going to be carrying 5 plus boards at any given time (my 10 year old also sails) and the carriage bolts have a 7/8" head. The way this van bounces down the road I would just feel safer going overboard (no pun).
No Nitinat yet. We do go to the Gorge yearly, however, otherwise its all in English Bay.

jogger

More work this weekend. Tiled the insulation like the Inuit might.Still debating which way to face the UniStrut,up or down. Holds the 90 degree better slot up, but the nuts may interfere with the padding. Also deciding to secure it to the ceiling area too.
I love the 22 gauge factory speaker wire. Just going to leave it for now as an upgrade for the front is in the works.

Attachments

jogger,
It looks very good. I do love Unistrut. We built some Laser/Opti racks out of it. We covered the steel with pieces of fire hose.

Not that you asked, but with as strong as your uprights appear I think you could avoid needing supports to the roof if you use this bracket.
P2484.gif

http://www.unistrut.com/Browse/cat_detail.php?S=S05&P=P2484

I would think loading boards would be easier with open ends, but there may be other reasons to support to the ceiling. Hope this does some good. AP

jogger

Thanks, I saw those in the catalog. I wasn't sure the non reinforced 90's would be enough support but when they are mounted above the horizontal bar the flex is much less than on top.
The support to the roof concern was on the uprights that are attached to the wall. The sheet metal is so thin and relies solely on its channelesque( if that's a word ) shape for rigidity. If I pull on the verticals' the whole wall flexes and I'm afraid with the weight of 5 boards and endless miles of driving the flexing could lead to a fatigue failure.
Unrelated structurally, the first thought was to mount the boards on the left side behind the driver, but realizing my bulkhead is only aluminum I didn't want a board in the head in an accident.I told my wife to duck! She didn't find it as amusing as I (?)

jogger,
I thought you had an anchor to the wall on the back of the Unistrut at the top of the vertical. If you don't have, then I would imagine the wall would flex given the leverage. Anyway, you're aware of the options and know what you're doing so there's no need for input from me. I didn't know how much fitting info you had come across. Unistrut has many options. AP
Thanks, I saw those in the catalog. I wasn't sure the non reinforced 90's would be enough support but when they are mounted above the horizontal bar the flex is much less than on top.
The support to the roof concern was on the uprights that are attached to the wall. The sheet metal is so thin and relies solely on its channelesque( if that's a word ) shape for rigidity. If I pull on the verticals' the whole wall flexes and I'm afraid with the weight of 5 boards and endless miles of driving the flexing could lead to a fatigue failure.
Unrelated structurally, the first thought was to mount the boards on the left side behind the driver, but realizing my bulkhead is only aluminum I didn't want a board in the head in an accident.I told my wife to duck! She didn't find it as amusing as I (?)

Top Bottom