Exhaust Flex Pipe Replacement

Hey everyone, just wanted to get an opinion on this. I had the flex pipe replaced the other day after it broke, and the shop replaced it with a shorter section of flex. It was probably 8" original, now it's only about 3" maybe. They also sleeved inside the pipe to weld, and I'm not sure that would restrict any flow or hurt mpg? It seems like I'm hearing more rattles, which I would think is the shorter flex pipe doesn't have the same amount of movement because it's shorter (stiffer)?

lindenengineering

I think I know what section size was used!

Yes the flex section is stiffer and if the support brackets up front are loose you will hear some noise.
The original flex is very flexible and i always install a new section from Walker that has similar flexible properties.
My suggestion is to try it and see if it works.
The biggest issue I see is that "zorst shops" don't weld the top section of the pipe too well as it is very hard to get at with the stinger unless the whole exhaust on on the floor.
So you get clumps of "gringo beans welding" that leak and corrupt the gas pressure signal to the diff pressure sensor which is essential for the system to work correctly.
So be mindful of that.
& damn Gringos with their steel/slag shaped beans --:lol:
Dennis

You don't see any issue with it having a smaller interior pipe size where it's welded on though? The welding looks perfect, it's an exhaust/plow shop, he said he removed the crossmember/transmission support so he could better weld the top, so at least I know that.

A short interior sleeve to join pipe for repairs won't cause enough restriction to be noticed. A length smaller diameter pipe could be a problem.

:cheers: vic

Someday15

I think I know what section size was used!

Yes the flex section is stiffer and if the support brackets up front are loose you will hear some noise.
The original flex is very flexible and i always install a new section from Walker that has similar flexible properties.
My suggestion is to try it and see if it works.
The biggest issue I see is that "zorst shops" don't weld the top section of the pipe too well as it is very hard to get at with the stinger unless the whole exhaust on on the floor.
So you get clumps of "gringo beans welding" that leak and corrupt the gas pressure signal to the diff pressure sensor which is essential for the system to work correctly.
So be mindful of that.
& damn Gringos with their steel/slag shaped beans --:lol:
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I've removed my DPF on my 2008 144. During the process, my partially torn flex pipe became completely torn. Either way, was going to grab a flex pipe from walker, but wondering how to connect it to the new DPF. I will be welding it to the CAT, but it looks like the fitting from flex pipe to DPF (the beveled clamp I bought from Mercedes) will not work. On that note, is there any sort of clamp system that will work to connect it to the CAT? I feel as if it's going to be difficult to remove the CAT just to do the welding.

lindenengineering

Well simply separate the ball section of the DPF tail pipe connector from the damaged Cat flex . Using a die grinder
Now weld that to the flex section you are going to insert on the bench .
Now offer the thing up to the exhaust system at the Cat and tack weld in the new section at the cat down pipe with beveled clamp fixed in place.
All very easy.
Dennis

Someday15

Well simply separate the ball section of the DPF tail pipe connector from the damaged Cat flex . Using a die grinder
Now weld that to the flex section you are going to insert on the bench .
Now offer the thing up to the exhaust system at the Cat and tack weld in the new section at the cat down pipe with beveled clamp fixed in place.
All very easy.
Dennis

This makes sense. Thank you.

Cvollmar

Sycor makes a complete replacement pipe for this includes the ball section. I have not used one so don't know how they work.

Someday15

Sycor makes a complete replacement pipe for this includes the ball section. I have not used one so don't know how they work.
I ordered from them last week but it was too wide. Ball socket didn't fit. Flex section was too short. Brought to a shop that made new one for me and welded in.

D

Deleted member 50714

Just my two cents. Please note there exist strict tolerances relating maximum "flex" exerted on flex pipes. In addition, Mercedes-Benz recommends replacing sealing rings and clamps after disassembly. Please refer to WIS for detail information for specific model and engine configurations.

Just my two cents. Please note there exist strict tolerances relating maximum "flex" exerted on flex pipes. In addition, Mercedes-Benz recommends replacing sealing rings and clamps after disassembly. Please refer to WIS for detail information for specific model and engine configurations.
Yes! :thumbup:

Be very careful. You wouldn't want to unwittingly change the design such that the DPF and hanger brackets don't crack as intended. Stick with OEM.

:dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm: vic

P.S. -Sorry Bob. I just couldn't resist.

9000RPM

Took our '14 sprinter 2.1 diesel 170"WB DRW to the dealer to get some maintenance done at 120k miles. Maintenance cost already up to $3,600 dollars and now the dealer calls to tell me that the flex pipe has a crack. They can only repair by replacing the entire front pipe (part number: 9064909481) at a cost of another $3,700.00.

Anyone know if that Sprinter 2.1CDi flex pipe on eBay will work if I get a welder to weld that on?

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
Should this not be part of the emissions system, and covered under warranty?

How would the exhaust get to the scr without it???

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
It's 5 years/100,000 miles. I'm over at 120k
Has it always been dealer serviced?

If so ask if MB will help with the cost, you never know and have nothing to lose.

Put a call in to MB directly, not through the dealer.

Keith.

9000RPM

Has it always been dealer serviced?

If so ask if MB will help with the cost, you never know and have nothing to lose.

Put a call in to MB directly, not through the dealer.

Keith.
Always dealer serviced with the exception of oil changes. I've already called MB corporate and "Taj" says his computer can only go back to August of 2016 and even when he says he can't see the work order. It was related to the DEF pump issue that was fixed under warranty at 90k miles. He just kept repeating himself that it was out of warranty. :thumbdown:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Always dealer serviced with the exception of oil changes. I've already called MB corporate and "Taj" says his computer can only go back to August of 2016 and even when he says he can't see the work order. It was related to the DEF pump issue that was fixed under warranty at 90k miles. He just kept repeating himself that it was out of warranty. :thumbdown:
Try again, you might get a more approachable service agent.

lindenengineering

Took our '14 sprinter 2.1 diesel 170"WB DRW to the dealer to get some maintenance done at 120k miles. Maintenance cost already up to $3,600 dollars and now the dealer calls to tell me that the flex pipe has a crack. They can only repair by replacing the entire front pipe (part number: 9064909481) at a cost of another $3,700.00.

Anyone know if that Sprinter 2.1CDi flex pipe on eBay will work if I get a welder to weld that on?
You need a 2,25" 8 inch flex section with stubs from Walker or Bosul. Cost around $80 to $100.
Labor is up to 5 hours to weld it in perfectly with NO leaks.
Dennis

Top Bottom