Oil change how-to

kmessinger

For those who have done it themselves. Where did you get a waste oil container that fits underneath and holds 13+ quarts? I know when you first pull the plug the flow will be quite strong - did you get a lot of splash or miss the container?

I'll be doing this on a creeper so I won't have a lot of room and want to avoid hot oil! :bounce:

Regards,

Keith

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I picked up 15 (?) quart drain container at Wal-Mart. It's pretty wide. I've used it on several vehicles with large sumps, but I do have to reposition a few inches it when the flow slows down.

If I'm on concrete owned by someone that cares, I'll put down a plastic garbage bag and cover the bag with news paper to contain any incidental micro-Valdez events.

-Jon

I picked up 15 (?) quart drain container at Wal-Mart. It's pretty wide. I've used it on several vehicles with large sumps, but I do have to reposition a few inches it when the flow slows down.

If I'm on concrete owned by someone that cares, I'll put down a plastic garbage bag and cover the bag with news paper to contain any incidental micro-Valdez events.

-Jon
You mean someone who cares like........a wife? They really seem to have no sense of humor about such things.

I watch for discarded boxes from water heaters or other appliances. I leave them in large pieces when I cut the seams. You can then slide the cardboard underneath fairly easily. With the clearance of the Sprinter I slide under on cardboard without a creeper. It's a little more effort to get around without a creeper, but it gives me more height to work with. The cardboard can be re-used many times. The price is right too.

I forgot to mention this. When it comes time to remove the oil catch pan it's very easy to grab the edge and pull cardboard with oil container out from under the vehicle. It gets the pan out in the open where it's easier to deal with. None of that pushing the pan and possible sloshing of the oil.

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Actually, I used to have that one (in the oil spill picture), but someone borrowed it.

I picked up another one that has a really wide entrance orifice, which reduces the vortex effect.

My current oil drain container looks like this one

oilchgbolt.jpg

but the grate is red and the capacity is closer to four gallons than three.

-Jon

PS: I live in Seattle. Oil slicks are not just unpopular, a spill can get you burned in effigy in many neighborhoods and in some, a drop of petroluem on the ground can get you lynched.

Last edited:

twistyroad

I know when you first pull the plug the flow will be quite strong - did you get a lot of splash or miss the container?

Tip of the day:
Go to the pots and pans section of Wally World (or Target, K-Mart, whatever). Ask for a spatter screen for a large skillet. What they'll give you is a circular metal screen, about 12~14" diameter, with a handle. It's intended to lay over a skillet when you're frying something like bacon, to contain the grease spatter. If you lay it over your oil drain pan, the draining oil will go right through the screen, and the screen will prevent it from splashing. Works like a charm. :cheers:
As an added bonus, if you drop the oil drain bolt, the screen will catch it. :rad:

Tip #2:
Buy your own screen. Your wife won't appreciate your borrowing hers from the kitchen. :bash:

Rock

lockrob

Dont get the drain pan you lay on the side to fill then pick up like a 5 gal container.The oil comes out of the truck faster then it can go into the container.
I learned this the hard way.
Synthetic oil also doesn't clean up off concrete like reg oil.
Wife wants to paint the driveway red now.

Top Bottom