PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Aloha
05-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Hello my name is jerred. I am starting a plumbing company with my recently purchased a 2005 sprinter high top 118", i love the headroom this thing is great. This forum is great too, all the info you could ever need. Where should i post my vin # to get all my specs from one of the seasoned vets here? Thanks in advance you guys are great.:clapping:

Trayscott
05-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Scott here in Southeast Michigan. Looking at a low miles Mega Roof 170 inch 2008 in the next week or so. Planning on using it for business and pleasure. Have a vending business (small) also do a little cargo hauling for a courier often to Canada. Intend to install seating for at least 5 of us. Foam insulation throughout. Has door glass and glass behind driver's door already. Also fly RC planes, it will be the ultimate plane hanger! Will also by our steel sided tent or tow vehicle for a small trailer or pop up. Am I crazy thinking it can be all of this? Your thoughts?

MurdoGuy
05-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for having me.

Regards

Murdo

Timberdog
06-25-2013, 12:50 PM
I've already started using this forum but haven't introduced myself. I'm going to retire soon so the wife and I decided to purchase a motorhome. Looking for ease of use and fuel mileage we decided to go with a Coachmen Prism on a Freightliner chassis. We've done a couple of short trips and so far so good. Looking forward to travelling around N.A. and seeing the sights. Lots of good info here.

photogravity
06-29-2013, 03:00 PM
I've been lurking around here for the past few months, trying to glean information about Sprinters and finally joined a few days ago.

My better half and I live in Central MD, near Frederick, with two cats and and a collection of around 35-40 classic and vintage bicycles, four of which are tandem bicycles. In any case, I have grown tired of putting my tandems on the roof of the car or hanging them off the rear where they are vulnerable and out in the weather, so that's where a Sprinter comes in. I recently sold my Jeep CRD and am looking for a Sprinter to replace it.

Baxis
07-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Hey guys, not completely new here, but first time registering. I have helped a couple of sprinter owners at my work, so as one of them decided to sell it... I figured why not :)
I am a proud owner of a 2005 Dodge Sprinter "short and low" as it currently has 575,500 Miles, it is running hard and strong.
In its current state, I should have it to 750k in not too long as I work as a courier, so to many happy miles n keep on trackin' fellow sprinters!:thumbup:

Motowheels
07-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Good afternoon all :smilewink:

We are a company by the name of Motowheels:rad:

Experience the MOTOWHEELS difference...
We are not your typical motorcycle(parts & apparel) Internet Company.
We are stocking distributors and direct importers with over a million dollars in parts inventory. We supply many dealerships with product. We can ship the same day because we stock everything we sell. We don't rely on third party drop shipping or special orders to fulfill your orders. Many companies advertise a low price but don't have the products on hand to deliver. We fill over 95% of our orders the same day. Our website features an inventory counter for many products to let you know what we have in stock.

We are constantly expanding and adapting. So as such we have opted to go with a transportation haven to share our world with everyone addicted to anything with two wheels!

We recently purchased a 2013 Sprinter 3500 model in white which is outfitted and customized accordingly to fit the needs from your full motorcycle racer to your typical enthusiast. The variables within this spectrum is vast which is exactly what we represent. We've got stocking cages inside, rear & side windows deleted, the complete rear interior removed and enough vinyl to sponsor/promote Troy Bayliss himself:bow:

We are passionate in everything we stand for and would love to extend an open invitation for any and all to--Come check us OUT!:cheers:

geapi
08-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Hi, Georg here, after owning a couple of Vanagons and Eurovans I finally got back to the Sprinter world. Got a 2003 140 WB, HR with 95K miles. Working on converting it into a travel mobile. First step was a bed, see attached image.

Tom9054
08-19-2013, 01:57 AM
Tom and Carla. Waterloo, Iowa. Home of John Deere row crop tractor factory.
And a proud new sprinter owner. Well, new to me, with 280,000 miles, but I went bottom fishing and we paid accordingly. First 2,000 mile road trip and everything worked swell. Still much to learn and what an asset this forum is, just awesome!
Here's some pics of my new hot rod, if your interested:

https://drive.google.com/?tab=no&authuser=0#folders/0B9zpqLALaO3-R2NUUVRmdTdKcWs

later
Tom

Jb1rd73
10-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Jason Lightfoot, Indian Harbour Beach Florida 2006 140 High Roof Cargo (getting converted for play)
I think I may have gotten the best deal ever on a Sprinter and am excited for the possibilities that lie ahead. I miss my old V-dub but the Sprinter is a great successor :clapping:
This forum is a god send and saved me $$$$$$$$$$$ which being a new graduate is tight to say the least!! Thank you all, hope I can return the favor.

moto4life
10-11-2013, 08:00 PM
hello im kenny,,, race motocross and want to build a race van out of the 2014 ext 250 sprinter,,, anybody know how,,, or if u can throw larger rims and tires to give it a little better look,, and if so pics of stuff u seen,, thz,, mx34

srfsprinter2007
10-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Hello to all,

My name is Kevin and I live in northern Ontario (Smooth Rock Falls). My wife and I a year ago purchased a 2007 Dodge Sprinter, passenger van with a 3l diesel engine. We love the forum and have gained a lot of valuable info. We hope to contribute. Cheers

SpecIndustries
10-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi Everyone. My name is Rich and I'm a Sprinter geek as well as a looong time forum lurker.

Being a Sprinter fan and having spent nearly 14 years as a Mercedes Benz automobile/Sprinter van technician and sales consultant, I decided to take the plunge and start a Sprinter van parts and accessories business. http://www.sprinterspec.com/ The website is currently being tested and should launch soon! It's a challenge sometimes but I am having a ton of fun!

It looks like I'll be getting my first Sprinter in 2014. Being a competitive trail runner and all-around outdoor enthusiast, a Sprinter is perfect me. This forum is a great source of inspiration for me. Thank you!

P.S. I'll be making some for sale threads for various items including Shell ATF-134, Pennzoil Oil and other maintenance kits.

zipperje
11-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Hi, my name is John. Just bought a 2013 144 high roof Crew and will be customizing it this winter. First road trip is planned for February to sunny California.

I originally planned to hire an outfitter for the conversion but after seeing the pricing will take this on myself nights/weekends. Basic build plan is (1) soundproof/insulate cargo and crew areas…floor, walls, doors, ceiling. (2) 30 amp shore power/inverter/dual 6V battery, LED interior lights, fantastic roof fan. (3) wall and ceiling panels with birch plywood strips lengthwise along upper and lower foot or so and (4) panel bed removable in 4 18-inch panels, high enough to leave bikes in place below. Plumbing, cabinets, cooking are not planned for now. A little nervous about cutting the roof opening for the vent fan!

SpecIndustries
11-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Hi, my name is John. Just bought a 2013 144 high roof Crew and will be customizing it this winter. First road trip is planned for February to sunny California.

I originally planned to hire an outfitter for the conversion but after seeing the pricing will take this on myself nights/weekends. Basic build plan is (1) soundproof/insulate cargo and crew areas…floor, walls, doors, ceiling. (2) 30 amp shore power/inverter/dual 6V battery, LED interior lights, fantastic roof fan. (3) wall and ceiling panels with birch plywood strips lengthwise along upper and lower foot or so and (4) panel bed removable in 4 18-inch panels, high enough to leave bikes in place below. Plumbing, cabinets, cooking are not planned for now. A little nervous about cutting the roof opening for the vent fan!

Welcome John! Your project sounds fun...except for the cutting the roof open thing! :lol:

mxjoe99
11-07-2013, 07:56 PM
My name is Joe and I have been looking for a Sprinter for some time. Me and my kids are going to be racing bikes out of it. I found a 2004 that I could afford and took the plunge. The check engine light is and I believe it is in limp mode. 2nd gear and reverse only. I am looking for someone in the area for some help. Tacoma wa.

Patrick T
11-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Since there's the invitation.... :)

I'm in Southeast Michigan and have been interested in Sprinters for several years... the "form follows function" mindset is a good thing, and I love the idea of a small diesel in a larger van (vs a 7.3L diesel in a standard van - what gives?!). I've been involved with a few other niche cars... Fieros... Corvettes... and I'm a big fan of stock but also a fan of tasteful modification... usually electrical since my day job involves designing computer modules for vehicles, but as a former certified mechanic I don't mind getting my hands greasy either.

My truck is getting more expensive to maintain than it's worth after 18 years, so I've been considering following through with my Sprinter interests. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time since I need a working vehicle back and new/recent ones are out of my price range, but I figured even if I can't act now I'd make myself wiser for when the time does come.

As a part-time small business owner and full-time nerd, I often have projects that are physically bulky that could benefit from the Sprinter's cargo capacity, though I'll also throw a curve ball and say that I've also considered them - don't laugh - as a possible way to transport smaller livestock to shows. The efficiency and maneuverability is far better than a truck + trailer, and with appropriate ventilation I bet it would be pretty easy to build a modular pen/stall that could slide in and out easily.

Right? :crazy:

Worst case, they seem to have decent trailer capacity too.

Anyway, if you're in the SE Mich area, drop me a line! Meanwhile thanks for having great resources on the forum here!

Mein Sprinter
12-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Hi Everyone...

New here. Live in NC with my wife and dog :thumbup:. Looking for a 19' Sprinter Camper to go camping and traveling in style. Planning on retiring the ever loving 2002 VW Eurovan.

Great Forum by the way..

http://elsha.smugmug.com/Other/LabradorBlanc-Sablon/i-NJ9PtSq/0/M/Labrador_2013%20013-M.jpg

cheers....

connolly14620
02-13-2014, 12:16 AM
New to posting on the forum. We finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 2012 170wb high roof passenger to carry wheelchair passengers, who are part of a power wheelchair soccer team. Next up is trying to figure out what type of wheelchair lift to install and how best to configure the seats to provide enough flexibility to carry multiple wheelchairs and able bodied passengers. Any suggestions? Right now we are using a manual fold up 8' ramp and taking out the bench seats when we need additional room. When I am not carrying the wheelchair soccer team, it is just my son, in a power wheelchair, but who transfers to a passenger seat, my wife, and my son's 95 pound service dog. We live in San Jose, CA

Matthew911
02-26-2014, 03:14 AM
Hello,
My name is Matthew, I am a retired Paramedic/Fireman, I am currently training the special forces men in the USAF and I just bought a 2013 Sprinter Cargo 170E. The plan is too convert it for motocross uses, first thing is too find a 3 seater bench seat and then build a garage in the back compartment. I live in New Mexico and have 2 boys that race motocross

hkpierce
02-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Since there's the invitation.... :)

As a part-time small business owner and full-time nerd, I often have projects that are physically bulky that could benefit from the Sprinter's cargo capacity, though I'll also throw a curve ball and say that I've also considered them - don't laugh - as a possible way to transport smaller livestock to shows. The efficiency and maneuverability is far better than a truck + trailer, and with appropriate ventilation I bet it would be pretty easy to build a modular pen/stall that could slide in and out easily.

Right? :crazy:

Worst case, they seem to have decent trailer capacity too.

From this forum's Larry Llama (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/member.php?u=136)
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53804&postcount=4

ctp89
02-28-2014, 04:13 AM
Hey all,

I'm Charlie from the uk I'm in the forces so don't have as much time to work on my van as I would like

I use it for mountain biking and it's currently mid build on a conversion, this site has been very useful so far and has already caused me to re think a few a few things in the conversion

I have a 1999 sprinter 310d hi top lwb(longest) 2.9 5 cyl

KollmarSprinterRepair
03-10-2014, 03:42 PM
My name's Chris, I am a Technician here at Kollmar Sprinter and Fleet Solutions. We service and repair all various forms of Sprinter vans and RV for both commercial customers, as well as the common sprinter owner, on a daily basis.

Due to the frequency of our service personal working hands on with these unique Diesel van's, we carry regular service items in stock, and have all the common and odd tools required to get the job done right, the first time.

Thanks to our consistency to supply Sprinter owners with a quality inspection and repair process, we have developed a loyal customer base. (some of which even being MB and Dodge dealership referred)

We strive to continue to provide a reliable repair option for the growing community of Sprinter owners and enthusiast. Id like to welcome you all to stop by our shop and see what we can do for you.

You can check out our website,
http://www.kollmar.com/

Call us at, 2062429500

Or stop by our repair facility Monday-Friday 8am-5pm,
1421 S 192nd St, Seattle, WA 98148

Thank you for your time, we look forward to meeting you.

NomadicSoul
04-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Hey everyone! My name is Mark and I just joined the forum. I've been lurking a few days and already have found this forum invaluable for my conversion project.

Quick background...I'm 35, never married, no kids, very stable career, great friends and girlfriend, bought my dream house in 2011, and living what appears to be the American Dream. Only problem is I've been unhappy. It's as if I've spent most of my life chasing goals and working at climbing the ladder or success. Only problem is after nearing the top of the ladder and looking around I've realized it's leaning against the wrong wall.

So i spent the last few months trying to figure out my options and decided to do the following..
-Sell my House
-Buy and RV or van (settled on the Sprinter for MPGs and versatility)
-Convert the van to have (almost) every comfort of home
-Sell/Donate/Trash all of my possessions that I can't use in the van
-Takeoff for a few months and explore the country
-Record my experience to help inspire others in the same situation.

I'm only a week into this adventure and it's been quite the ride. I've never used an online forum before so I apologize in advance for any newbie mistakes I might make in my posts. Thanks for reading...Cheers!

http://i.imgur.com/mXhbaXQ.jpg

sikwan
04-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Welcome Mark! Looking forward to your adventures. :popcorn:

RambleVan
04-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I am Darren. I live in Denver, CO. I have recently purchased a 2004 Sprinter 2500 High Roof 158wb. I and separating from the Navy this summer and I plan on spending the rest of the year building my camper and road tripping through the west.

Nino
05-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Nino here from Belgium.

I'm a techkid and always behind computers. But also a self-teaching mechanic, but still a lot to learn!

Glad to be on the forum !

See your posts around

VTHokie
05-07-2014, 05:44 PM
I've been checking out the site for a few weeks. We just got an '09 with a side-loading lift. We have two boys in wheelchairs, plus two other kids. It was getting a little cramped in our Town & Country.

So far we love our Sprinter. Plenty of room and it doesn't look like a creeper van.

The site's been great as I'm adding a brake-controller and just learning more in general.

10man
05-09-2014, 03:58 AM
Like to say hello to everyone. My name is Robert and I don't own a sprinter but I work on them 5 days a week for Chalmers Automotive. I joined the forum to get real life reviews of products that everyone uses, information on repairs and to share my information on sprinters.

BamaSprinter
06-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Just wanted to say Hello from North Alabama, we only have one dealer so far in Alabama, who deals with the Sprinter,, hoping other Mercedes dealers will get on board more locally,, been doing a lot of reading and decided to join, we currently are not Sprinter owners but plan on in the near future buying or doing a conversion to meet our needs, we have a daughter who is handicap and smaller vans are getting to be a pain to see to her needs when traveling, not counting we're getting older and the Sprinter looks and seems to meet our needs more than anything available, I will probable do more reading and listening to those of you who are experienced with this awesome vehicle.. thanks Tim

Timberdog
06-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Just wanted to say Hello from North Alabama, we only have one dealer so far in Alabama, who deals with the Sprinter,, hoping other Mercedes dealers will get on board more locally,, been doing a lot of reading and decided to join, we currently are not Sprinter owners but plan on in the near future buying or doing a conversion to meet our needs, we have a daughter who is handicap and smaller vans are getting to be a pain to see to her needs when traveling, not counting we're getting older and the Sprinter looks and seems to meet our needs more than anything available, I will probable do more reading and listening to those of you who are experienced with this awesome vehicle.. thanks Tim

Any Mercedes dealer should work on Sprinters, it's a Mercedes. Never heard of a dealer turning away Sprinters, if that's the case it's a shame.

OneLuckyDog
06-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Greetings!
My '06 Sprinter and I head out several days a week to Marin & San Francisco, as a mobile dog-grooming unit. It's all fitted out with a fresh and grey water tanks, a big tub, inverter, and all the things I need. Have driven it to Canada, just take the business decals off so folks don't try to have me groom at rest areas!
Love, love, love this rig. Have had other trucks, but no comparison for mileage, business image, ease of operation. Now wondering about towing a tiny trailer for hauling gardening amendments, flotsam and jetsam, and maybe something to sleep in at the dog shows...any advice appreciated. I've had a hitch installed by my mechanic (non-dealer), and am not sure it's OK...will check with local metal guy tomorrow while showing him some of your comments.
Beyond dogs, I garden, read, make wine and beer, and try to appreciate something new every day.

Graphite Dave
06-29-2014, 02:16 PM
I also visit SF regularly and have seen your Sprinter many times. Mine is a gray 08 with solar panel on roof. Converted stealth camper.

Joshcbf
08-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi all! This site and everyone's input is unbelievably helpful thank you!
I'm from Oklahoma, play in a band full time and when our van's transmission went out we purchased a 2011 Bluetech 2500 passenger 170 HR. That is literally everything I know about the van. Ha! So I'm a newb and apologize in Advance for my ignorance but can't wait to jump into this world of converting these things!

First question...what can I bolt/screw into behind these wall panels? Do I have to put holes through the van??? (Hey I said I'm sorry!)

DirtyChimp
08-20-2014, 09:13 PM
This site has already saved me a mountain of time, money, and headaches. I am not normally one to join a web forum, but this one was a must after I purchased my 2007 Dodge Sprinter (as of July 2014). It is my first diesel, and so far it is a flawless victory for me (considering I got it used). I primarily use my van for work and regularly drive as far as northern Washington, Western Idaho, and Southern Oregon (home base is the Portland area).

I am slowly working out all the details of the modifications i have in store, hopefully going to finish some fun ones before this coming labor day weekend.

sweet-pete
08-20-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm onboard, been lurking for years. Hoping to take a 3500 Cab and chassis with a Morgan box and turn it into a RV. Lots of work and lots of reward. Thanks for this holy grail of helpfulness and insight. Also hope to get a mb star MUX clone and learn the inner working of this thing as I plan to live in it in the middle of nowhere.

bark615
10-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Hello from Ohio!

I just purchased a '12 2500 cargo 170EXT and have been enjoying the wealth of knowledge on here!

Shaikh@FatCatMotorsports
12-13-2014, 03:29 AM
Greetings from the SF Bay Area, I'm a life-long resident and lover of the outdoors. I'm starting to see the vast potential of the Sprinter platform (as all of you and many others have already). I have a suspension design business and a race car that needs a tow vehicle... hmm I think I see the stars aligning!

Shaikh

Spencermobile
12-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Unexpectedly got a new to me 03 Sprinter here in central New Hampshire! Yes, it's in the US. We're sandwiched between Vermont and Maine. Found this site and gotta say it's terrific! We wound up with the van with a rear wheelchair lift for my stepson with Muscular Dystrophy. It's a far better vehicle than what I expected. Thanks for the good info and expertise that you've all posted here!

JimDyson
12-31-2014, 12:36 AM
Great site, appreciate the investment of time that some of the regulars make to share experience with the newer members. As a result, this has become one of my favorite sites. My wife, Karen and I just bought a 2015 Winnebago Era on a 2014 Sprinter chassis with V-6. We downsized after 20+ years of driving Class A motorhomes. Hope to enjoy the Sprinter in days to come.

SpeckTater
02-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Hi - I'm Jerry. I will have a RB I4 hightop sprinter delivered to Sportmobile South this week. My hobbies are salt water fishing and touring bike motorcycle riding. I live in the New Orleans area with my wife and two cats. My RV will be be used as a toy hauler, an "iron tent", some tailgating and as a third car. I intend to use it at BMW motorcycle rallies. When I take a more extended trip, I may park van (with bike inside) at airport parking lots or secure towing company sites between destinations. I know this is unorthodox, but, it allows me to travel long distances on the bike and "mind the shop"' at the same time. This site has been a great help and I hope to gain enough experience and knowledge to give something back.

jon159785
02-23-2015, 02:42 AM
Just took delivery of a Silver 2015 Crew Van 170 that I'll be using to transport a 13 sailboat inside slung on the roof with a bed in the back below it. Thanks for the hours of entertainment and insight I've gotten out of these forums over the years as I've plotted this project and I'm looking forward to being part of the community and will post my conversation as I get underway.

Bluepig
02-24-2015, 06:10 AM
Been on boards since the early days of BBS' in 1987/8 and know better to find the intro page first.

Name is Randy, and I'm in Utah just west of Salt Lake City (nope, not Mormon). Picked up my Freightliner Sprinter 2500 long wheelbase a month ago. It's a retired FedEx van, and in pretty good shape. The sliding door works, but needs to be adjusted to close properly. It might also need some of the rollers, but I'm just getting started. Plan is to sell my motorhome and convert this into a dual purpose motorhome/work van. I'll build the middle as a permanent kitchen, dining area, and the back will be shouldered for a 1" ply board for a bed, and removable for drywall, 4x8' ply, other lumber, metal and welding materials. Since I'm just getting started, I'm looking at all of the ideas so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Was an engineer, Data Center designer and Project Manager for over 18 years, now trying a T-Shirt printing business. Been in the Martial Arts for over 41 years, love camping, biking (motorcycle and bicycle road bikes), skydiving, private flight, wood and metal work, computer design and build, website development, tactical shooting drills, long range shooting, Constitutional studies, ham radio, movies, old westerns, and time with the family.

Based on everything I read, I have a lot more reading and learning to do.

janjolu
03-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Hi I am Chrys,

I spend half the year in Boundary Alaska and the other half in Reno, NV. I have a 2008 3500 cargo Sprinter I purchased at auction. Lots of bugs and a transmission brain I believe on the rear axle has been my biggest expense. I did have a 1955 Cadillac coupe de'ville I worked on and rebuilt the interior. Dad had a shop in Vegas and I learned basics from him. I always wanted a van to have for traveling so bought this Sprinter before I knew much about it. This site has helped. At least I can see when I should take it to the dealer now.

I am an electrician by trade but have worked as a hoddy, a mason, and a teacher and now have tried mining. I am not much of a miner but life is good when I am mining.

I too am planning a new set up for the van....I plan on a raised bed to accommodate storage and hope to get a microwave and fridge/freezer. I have insulated the roof and walls and covered in thin plastic type 4x8 sheets to quiet it down. It provides retention of heat and keeps it cooler in the summer too. I installed that silver air bubble wrap underneath the carpet to keep the cold from coming up through the floor. That really made a difference.

I am now having problems with the acceleration and no guts up a hill....hoping it is minor fix and scanning the forum

richiemiami
03-07-2015, 01:54 PM
My name is Richie I'm from Miami. I have a low-voltage company here in South Florida. I had van's before my Sprinter but always wanted a sprinter for the class, room, and fuel mileage. I have a 2008 Sprinter with 18 inch wheels whith dirt/highway profile tires. It sits pretty high up and runs hard especially with the big wheels/tires for it gives me another 8 mph on the 80mph speed limiter. All my other cars are mercedes as well (two 1999 CL 500's). I'm glad to be here where I can learn and help others in areas that I can help.

r

gnach
03-08-2015, 04:13 AM
Greetings all, I'm Gary, retired from a varied career in construction, but most recently as a full time caregiver. As that gig ended, I'm embarking on building a 2014 2500 HT into a minimalist camper to head out and explore this country. I've been devouring the diy build threads. I'm so in debt to members who've detailed their decisions, material choices, the banter and exchange on finer points of designing the systems. Each has solid merits for the owner's needs. I hope to pay back some of that. Thanks (and I'm cursing an HP laptop's erratic cursor- grrrrrr)

Black Sheep Fabworx
03-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Hey everyone, I'm Rock. I got introduced to the wonders of the sprinter van threw an unfortunate event, and I'm reaping all the benefits :bounce: My uncle owns a glas company had had 2 vans that have served him very well. A few months ago some idiot kid was texting and driving, ran a red light, and hit the van hard in the right front corner. After months of arguing with the insurance company it was totaled, and he bought it back. So, I now have a 5 cylinder Mercedes turbo diesel sitting on the flor of my garage! :rad:

I will have a bunch of questions, and will be posting a thread later. I need a bunch of wiring info, and I'm hoping to find a different intake manifold. All of my digging was a waste of time though, so it probably doesn't exist :frown:

PhotogRV
04-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Hey, Richard here, I'll soon be a owner of a newish 2013 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24SA (<10km) at the end of the month and I'm glad I found this resource! Not ashamed to say that I'll be a Nomatic Newbie looking to learn from this amazing group!

pmhaddad
04-11-2015, 02:26 AM
Hey all, I'm Phil. Live in Tampa, just picked up this beast today. I race karts and will be using this as sort of my rolling workshop and kart hauler, as well as my commuter (I commute about 115mi/day right now).

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SGuefFcK0qs/VSgj-4NbvXI/AAAAAAAAFmM/cB6YbBJk5dk/w1580-h889-no/IMG_20150410_152640405.jpg

Bits23
04-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Hi to all, my name is Nick, after many years of travelling and living in vintage vehicles I find myself with a sprinter.
I have owned, members from the uk will probably recognise this list .
Austin FG ex sunblest bread lorry
Many Bedford TK,s including box trucks, flat beds and one of the last ones made which I travelled across Europe in back in 2007.
Bedford Duple super vega coach 1962, which was older than me but not as fast.
Bedford Mk
Bedford RL
The company I was working for purchased the sprinter 312D to use as a mobile needle exchange in Derby UK, the purchase price was £4500, after much red tape the project was shelved and the sprinter stood for 1.5 years.
When the company were moving premises the sprinter had to go, I snapped it up for the sum of £200 English pounds, not bad I think.
Anyway that's me and hi to everyone on the site:rad:

lindenengineering
04-12-2015, 12:32 AM
Hi to all, my name is Nick, after many years of travelling and living in vintage vehicles I find myself with a sprinter.
I have owned, members from the uk will probably recognise this list .
Austin FG ex sunblest bread lorry
Many Bedford TK,s including box trucks, flat beds and one of the last ones made which I travelled across Europe in back in 2007.
Bedford Duple super vega coach 1962, which was older than me but not as fast.
Bedford Mk
Bedford RL
The company I was working for purchased the sprinter 312D to use as a mobile needle exchange in Derby UK, the purchase price was £4500, after much red tape the project was shelved and the sprinter stood for 1.5 years.
When the company were moving premises the sprinter had to go, I snapped it up for the sum of £200 English pounds, not bad I think.
Anyway that's me and hi to everyone on the site:rad:

Nick
Interesting post.
Being ex BL truck and Bus Div Service guy I had a chuckle at your fleet experience list.

The "Red Line product " BMC FG was always looked upon by us big premium Blue Line truck blokes as the Fat Guts!
Then the the slightly bigger bonneted version the WF, as the Woofer!
Sold mostly in Africa the Sudan & Nigeria bought most of the Woofers .
Glory hallelujah with 5.7 & 5.9 crank and rod busters !
I spent months in Khartoum changing connecting rods!

When I worked for Leyland Motors Iran we sold oudles of those FG's to Iranian semi gov & NGO bodies! Some had trash truck bodies on them! Whatta a pile of crap in Iranian hands !:laughing:
I have always reckoned their experience with that "stuff" was why our political reputation as Brits took a fall after the Shah ! :lol:

As for the Bedford Duple Vega, I remember the vehicle just came out when I was an apprentice. We used to look after a fleet of them from a tour bus company in Stroud. Notorious for stripping out their "thin tin pot" cylinder liners they were known as Woolworth's diesels!

If you ever go to Pakistan I bet you will conclude that all the Bedfords that failed the UK HGV safety test went there to die! (Like elephants)
Thanks for the memory lane stuff !
Cheers Dennis

UltraMark
05-15-2015, 02:53 AM
Hey everyone... Mark here. Live in Salt Lake City and just picked up a 2015 Sprinter 144" 4x4 cargo in Colorado 2 weeks ago. Have been planning the build for about 4 months but it's still coming together in my head and on paper.
I previously owned an 85' Westy with a Zetec conversion. I put lots of time in the van. Mostly recently I had a 40' diesel pusher with slides and traveled the US for a year. Total wanderlust.
Now it's the sprinter. I'm reading and absorbing like crazy on the forum... Thank you all for the contributions. Hopefully I can give back soon.
Vibration dampening, sound absorption, sound deadening and insulation are my first order of business. Still on the fence... The hein method or spray foam.
Looking forward to being a part of the group. -- Mark

Aussiejack
05-31-2015, 11:29 AM
Hi my name is Jack Stockham. I am from Port Lincoln South Australia. We have just bought a 2002 sprinter with a Maui motorhome shell. Love the sprinter but am finding a few qurky things about her. glad to be part of this forum as I need to learn heaps.

Mike Rancourt
07-28-2015, 04:34 AM
Hello. I am Mike. I just bought brucetheparishiltonfan (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34246)'s T1N (2002 Freightliner 2500). I have plans to add some bench seats and maybe some other simple amenities. Nothing fancy. Just functional. This will allow me and my family to both travel and grow (we've been talking about a 4th dog and some adopted or fostered kids).
We also have a TDI Jetta and 240D, and I searched for a Vanagon for a long time. I was delighted to find this instead. A friend, who is a Vanagon tech of sorts, said when I bought this, "you've always been more of a Mercedes person." He's pretty much right.
We run all our vehicles on B99 and WVO.
Hi.
Mike

Cromag
09-06-2015, 05:23 AM
Hello everyone! I'm looking for my first RV, most likely a 2011-2012 Roadtrek Agile if I can find the right one. I've been reading through the threads for a few days and learned a lot from your posts. Thanks! Looking forward to getting into some discussions about your experiences and the creative mods people are doing.

Cheers :cheers:

nhmcgowan
09-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Hi, I'm Nancy and live near Burlington Vermont. We bought our first Sprinter/Freightliner as a passenger van. My husband Rick and I are both retired engineers. I was raised north of Phillie, his dad was Navy so he's from all over. Our first trip was 11K miles to the West Coast and Canadian Rockies (WOW), visiting family and friends along the way. I'm creating a small nest in the back of the sprinter for sleeping and sandwich assembly, nothing fancy unless I find someone with some skills. Next trip is to Nova Scotia, soon!

kickstart
10-05-2015, 04:55 AM
Hello everybody my name is Jerry and I live in Seattle. I've been lurking and learning here for quite a while. I finally bought a used van a couple months ago. It is a 2007 170" wb 3500 high top cargo with about 170k miles. I bought it off ebay sight unseen and drove it home from Houston. I'm currently taking care of a few minor mechanical items and hopefully will be starting on the camper conversion soon. Just want to say thanks for all the helpful info here and maybe some day I will be able to give some back.

Jerry

unik
10-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Hallo Folks, uNik iz here:cheers:
I sold my Sprinter in December 2014.:popcorn:

In May 2015 I've got new RAM ProMaster van with diesel-engine:rad:
Now I am in process of creation:bash:
This iz a video of some progress I made
https://youtu.be/iH-fzLwTQoc
Now in October 2015 it has 3,225miles on ODO.
First tank of diesel I made with 28MPG, second tank with 28.5MPG, 3rd with 29MPG

Please let me know; if I am still welcome to a Forum, and where to post a pix of my ProMaster van (Fiat-Ducato) convertion ? AnyWhere on a web same forum for ProMaster vans ???

marto
10-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Hi there , Martin here, I live in philadelphia originally from argentina but lived in spain for twelve years and fithteen here so far.
My father thought me mechanics when I was 9 years old overhauling a 1954 vw camper that then we used for many camping/rv vacations. in spain travel by motorcycle including going on a couple trips trough morrocco.
restored antique cars in the nineties now im a carpenter(that tig welds and plasma cuts) here in philly.
now Im the new owner of a 2002 freigthliner, I have being reading the forum in an obsesed manner to bring back to life this potential going to places veicle.
hope to do many miles so far I like it very much. installing rear seats , new shocks and joints on the front end, fixing the automatic locks , maybe turbo and the list go on wish me luck.
And in anything I can contribute and help I'm here.

carsoda1
11-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone - I have been reading posts for a few months. I bought a 2014 2500 170" ext cargo in July. I live mostly in Charlotte, but also San Diego part of the year. My build has been going very slowly, in large part because I have a 3 month old baby....this after 20 years since my 3rd child! I decided to quit my job and spend time with this new baby and my wife, as the first time around I was working around the clock and not very present for the family. My primary reason for buying the Sprinter: I will be going back and forth between California and NC several times per year, and I have 3 dogs.

I am going to participate more in the forum, so as to contribute from all my mistakes!!

Generally, I tend to over-buy (waste), over-analyze (freeze), and take much longer for all decisions and installs - but I am DIY. While the inside of my van still looks like a warehouse I have to date: Installed 2 Fantastic Vent fans, Rattletrap, insulation in floor walls and ceiling, 4 AGM batteries mounted in aluminum boxes under van, 2000w inverter, and hopefully today I will complete the Espar D2 install! Very important as I am heading cross country again the first week of December. Thanks to all for the insight, instructions and photos!

BrandonGArnold02
11-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Hey I signed up on this page over 2 years ago but never even did as much as to introduce myself. I work on a fleet of trucks made up of Sprinters and Workhorse chassis delivery trucks with 6.5 diesels and ISB 170 Cummins engines. I originally signed up on this forum to get info and help diagnosing Sprinters. I work on Sprinters ranging from 2009 to 2015 models.

lindenengineering
12-03-2015, 04:09 AM
Guys
I thought I would post something about my roots and some interesting things about my home city that of Gloucester; which I left years ago in search of a life elsewhere! Ending up by accident in these United States and I have been here so long now that I am really part of the furniture!

Of course you never forget from whence you came and I thought I might share some sights and sounds that should be familiar to you as the American reader.
First off our fair city has a great American connection! In short the music to the American nation anthem (not the words) was composed here by one John Stafford Smith.
See:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stafford_Smith

Here is a potted history of the past 1300 years a veritable place to touch and feel English History. King Edward the 2nd is buried in the nave after having been murdered in nearby Berkeley Castle, the latter day Earls establishing the California University of the same name.
http://www.gloucestercathedral.org.uk/history-heritage/cathedral-history/
Walk within its walls through the nearby streets and there are plaques on old restored buildings belonging to past worshipers who left on the Mayflower for the New World all those centuries ago!

Here is a birds eye view of the cathedral and the city of Gloucester some of you might recognize parts of Cathedral featured in recent Harry Potter films.
Please look for the garrick roofed small red building to the right of the cathedral grounds to see the little house where the US Anthem music was composed. Clue there is a little red car nearby parked outside:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PbeXwkUo0

Here are some views of the main nave and the great easy window.
Ralph Vaughan Williams composed first played Fantasia in 1910, its been played there regularly ever since!
Makes good listening and is even better enjoyed with a glass of red wine!
Enjoy the sights and sounds of my home city!:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihx5LCF1yJY

Zoomtop
12-07-2015, 05:39 PM
G'day , my name is Rick:smilewink: I live in Coffs Harbour , which is about 310miles(520km)
nth of Sydney Australia . I am not new to vans or Benz , as I had a 74 Compact & an
International Campervan . I sold my Benz & bought a CJ7 Jeep Renegade & have had 4X4
since , current ride is a 09 Kia Sorento . Sold th old Inter & bought a Pop-top caravan. I am
looking to get a Sprinter this coming year (just bought a new tractor , slowed things up a bit).
So when I read a post on a RV forum here in Aussie , it mentioned , why not look here for
your sprinter . So , I'm here too. Looking fwd to participating.
Rick.

Justboo
12-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Hi, just getting started here on the forum. We ended up with an '04 long tall passenger model Sprinter 2.7l that had about 175k. We have put about 25k on it in the last 7 months and are really enjoying it, despite the numerous issues that crop up almost weekly. I am looking forward to the benefits of hearing from others on the forum and learning from the obvious wealth of knowledge here. Cheers,
Justin, Western Oregon

marktinkerman
12-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Hi from UK based (Wales) new owner of 2002 sprinter 311 4x4, with HI/Lo transfer box and rear dif lock
thought it would be good idea to get in touch with other sprinter people. ... At present running early 110 Landy with galv chassis and Mada 3.5SL engine on Mercedes ZF auto box and also a 1988 507d ...+ have stable of classic bikes Triumphs T120 and 6T, Wasp sidecar outfit, 2xYam XT500 and various basket cases

311 sprinter drives nice , hardly any rust, 2 problems to sort
1st is flappy noise from auxiliary drive belt at tickover. got one ordered and hope that cures prob
2nd is slightly harsh vibration under drive just of tickover which smooths out as revs climb... suspect dry sliding spline on rear prop... ordered set of prop bolts and will have a look

I have got Haynes manual for the 311 but would really like some info for the 4 wheel drive bits...any help would be much appreciated... It has 3 rocker switches on dash for LO/HI ratio, 2/4 wheel drive and rear dif lock

intention is to convert 311 to camper van to replace both Landy and 507d as main transport (so they can be restored/customised"ish") and to tow mobile sauna and showers to events
Mark

adkav
12-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Hi. My name is Jason, I live in Glens Falls, NY, and I just picked up my black 2015 Sprinter 144WB, low roof passenger van from the dealer in Albany yesterday. I went to the dealer expecting to buy a Metris van, but this Sprinter was sitting there, looking far bigger, better, and more useful, ...and the dealer gave it to me for the same price as the loaded Metris. So now I'm a proud Sprinter owner. I own a hifi store and so one of my first tasks will be to put a nicer sound system in it (a Pioneer 5100NEX with nav, etc.). I enjoy road trips, so I can't wait to get out on the open road and have my first Sprinter adventure.

Lowkeyfilms
12-29-2015, 10:15 PM
I'm from Clearwater Beach in Sunny Florida and after much research on this site and looking I bought an 04 3500 144" in good shape low miles.

The plan is a convert-able camper / work truck for overnighting in tourist traps on the weekends.

I'll be sure to post as many pics as I can.

stroke415
12-30-2015, 02:23 PM
hi my name is chip, I had a stroke a few years back. so my wife and I figured better live life while you can So we bought a 2011 Itasca navion to start camping the sprinter chassis is a 3500 w/19000 miles. and I have to say not feeling the love from my sprinter. I am hoping to learn from the experience/ misfortune of other suffering sprinter owners.

Horse
07-16-2016, 12:25 AM
Hi I'm Roger, I'm currently spoon feeding a sprinter my love, worse case scenario it's an expensive storage locker.

eeazye
10-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Hi guys, my name is Eric and I live in northern Ohio. I worked in Chrysler/Dodge dealers for 16 years as a flat rate tech. Finally had enough of it and changed careers. I really liked the handful of sprinters that came through the shop even though we were whoefully untrained to work on them. I recently picked up an 07 170 inch high roof with high miles and am sorting out the issues it has.

I've gotten some great info so far and look forward to contributing to the conversation when I can.

Fayo62
11-10-2016, 01:55 AM
Hi. My name is Marek. I live in West Coast BC. My Sprinter that I ordered sept'16 is right now on a ship (Torrens) on its way to Tacoma WA. I am trying to catch some info needed for my future conversion- fridge, sink, Murphy or sofa bed, solar panels, swivel seats, soundproofing, thermal insulation. Being auto bodyman (auto collision repair tech.) and extreme DIY hope to contribute to this forum.

sprinterPaul
11-10-2016, 02:26 AM
anyone else notice 99% of the posts in this thread are from users with <10 posts. With the majority less than 5.

They all start off with hey I just bought this problem...I'm gonna contribute and help out!

life gets in the way....

for those that keep going congrats and thanks!

jessee
11-14-2016, 02:03 AM
I am the fleet manager of a fleet of Mercedes Sprinter Ambulances. I am hoping to gain knowledge on some of the common issues of this type of vehicle and give some knowledge of my experiences.

BLINAS2
02-08-2017, 10:53 PM
Hi!
Bruno here, i have been visiting this forum for quite a while and finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2005 Freightliner Sprinter with 21,000 miles built out by Great West Vans (now defunct). Anyway just a fast "howdy" while I take a break from troubleshooting a short in the 12 volt system... on the MB side not the house build. Hmmm, maybe they did something with the house that shorted out the reverse lights!? Anyway good to be here, glad to be invited!

caseylentz
04-09-2017, 03:22 AM
Hey there. Been in this forum for a bit now getting a lot of helpful info on purchasing a sprinter . I finally pulled the trigger ! 03 Dodge Sprinter 2500 SHC passenger. It's got a pretty neat paint job on it as well my wife has lovingly named it 'Amtrak' since it looks pretty similar. I purchased the van in California from its second owner , the original owner was in Chicago so it came with a little bit of rust but low miles. 150k for 7.5k. I thought I got a deal on it and asked all the right questions and had it looked at by 3 mechanics to make sure everything was sound. One thing that I did notice in my findings is that the original owner really had a pride of ownership so much that he/she put 18inch wheels on the vehicle which has been hell to find replacement tires. Oh well enough of the negative. My wife , the dog, and I are looking forward to converting into a minimal sleeper for climbing , biking , and ski trips . https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170409/7dc427a5b442914887b9400a55614aa5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awruq
02-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Hello. I am Michał and I live in Poland.
Regards to everyone;)
http://nande.com.pl/dsc_3577.jpg
http://nande.com.pl/img_2079.jpg
http://nande.com.pl/img_2080.jpg
http://nande.com.pl/img_2083.jpg
http://nande.com.pl/img_2084.jpg
http://nande.com.pl/img_2089.jpg

Da Tow'd
03-06-2018, 11:41 PM
Hi Gang,
No Sprinter yet but one in the future for sure.
We live in the end of the road in British Columbia and plan on driving across Canada this year.
Just trying to learn as much about these interesting vehicles.
Volvo and Volkswagen mechanic since I "retired" from skippering a large boat 10 years ago
cheers
Hank

caregivers
05-12-2018, 10:54 PM
Greetings !
have been looking at the postings for about 5 years
am grateful to all that have posted there experiences .
we have a NV3 high roof 144" wheel base 4x4 2016 passenger as a primary vehicle to accomadate a 400lbs powered wheel chair with Q-straint tie downs to secure the wheel chair
Ricon clear view chair lift . Celing mounted airconditioning unit Eberspacher airtronic D2 and a Eberspacher hydronicD5E S3 are there to help keep the cabin at 25 degrees centigrade at all times as thermoregulation is a major challange.

would be looking forward to hearing from others on the forums with major mobility and neurological issues ad to how they have made their time in the vehicle more comfortable

charudutt

Pneumo
05-13-2018, 04:24 PM
Hey There!

Though I started out by posting elsewhere on the forum, I figure I should still introduce myself!

My name is Ian and my girlfriend and I recently purchased, converted, and moved into our 08" Dodge 170wb with 129k on the odo when we bought it. After a lengthy process of dealing with rust, our conversion took about 3 months and took place in WI during this past winter, we have since racked up another 9k miles. We're in the process of making our way to CO, then AK, and plan to live in the van for the next year. I'm 25 and after hiking the AT in 2014 in 90 days I decided to save up for and take on this adventure. We plan to visit many of US and Canadian national parks, backpacking, cycling, and photographing as we go.

Our conversion is pretty simple, but perfect for our needs. We have 300w of solar panels on the roof and a 200ah battery, which powers our lighting, dometic fridge, outlets, CO/LP detector, and our ceiling fan. We have a full size bed 9" thick, which is on a platform high enough to allow us to store 2 road bikes underneath and sit upright with a couple inches of room above(I'm 5' 11"). Everything was built from scratch and with little more than a 12v circular saw and drill. Our we have a counter spanning from our drivers seat back to the bed to facilitate cooking and a bench that houses our fridge as well as other misc gear.

So far I have replaced a leaking injector seal, flushed the PS system, replaced some seals around the turbo, and replaced the entire fuel return line. Other than a brake wear sensor wire being abraded through, those have all been corrected and are no longer causing us problems.

We have a website where we(mostly my girlfriend) have been writing up our build process and will add blog posts related to our travels once caught up.

www.thevanimals.com
Instagram: the.vanimals

Anyway, here are some photos of us and Violet B.(our nickname for the rig).

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a67cfcca803bba6eefdc538/t/5aedc5e32b6a2834a101e0b5/1525532548997/IMGP7283.JPG?format=2500w
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31118034_10214864746587681_6845255193805363222_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7ef358b5a0ac965741147ba686f25349&oe=5B995673

Nice to meet you all and thanks for all your help so far!

mwren
07-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Hi all!
Contemplating a Merc 416CDI Sprinter purchase in my forseeable future for use as a motorhome/ workhorse.
Im here and anywhere else I can find to accumulate knowledge on the breed.
Thanks to all contributors.

lto88
07-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Hey fellow Sprinter owners! I've been lurking here for the past couple of weeks and I thought I'd introduce myself. We recently bought a 2013 144, high roof cargo van and over the next few months we'll be turning it into our home. The build will take place in Alberta, Canada.

I just want to thank you all for the amount of information that has been shared to everyone here. We look forward to sharing our experiences and lessons as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

HiHOSilverGS
08-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Hidy Yall; I'm Harry, from DEEP East Texas. We jut adopted a Sprinter into our kinda diverse fleet. Our 2006 Sprinter chassis came loaded with a Winnebago Itasca Navion mini house on it. There's not an awful lot of Sprinters down here in our neck of the woods, so I'm gonna be seeking knowledge here quite a bit. I have had some diesel exposure having owned a 2010 6.4 F250 for a while and a couple little Kubota diesel tractors. We are not wealthy by any measure, just getting by on my social security and a couple little pensions from 40 years jerking mainframe computer systems.

chrisinflight
08-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Hi all, I'm Chris and I have purchased a 2006 passenger van, swb 208cdi, an ex-disabled minibus with 120k. This is to convert to a family bus, enduro bike carrier and camper.

RockyMtnXpress
10-24-2018, 10:18 PM
Greetings to all.

A Little About Us:

I'm Jim and married 41 years to my wife - Elaine. We recently completed our move from Glendale, Hotzona to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado (Just outside the town of Salida). I am now retired from running my own business of residential design and drafting. My last project was in fact our home here in Colorado and I am currently breaking out the tools, again, to design a detached RV garage/garage for us. We have two small terriers (Schnauzers) that understand their mission in life is to catch and kill every mouse they find. My interests are traveling, camping, fishing (or fly fishing), four wheelin', classic cars or trucks (I own a 1968 Mustang and a 1970 Challenger), car shows, computers and our 11,000# home away from home on wheels.

More About That:

We purchased a 2015 late manufactured Winnebago View last November with 6000 miles on it. Can't say, "We made out like bandits", but we didn't get hurt by this purchase either (It's the "ONLY" way my wife will go camping). This unit absolutely fascinates me! Everything from it's torpedoing wheel simulators to the little rubber antennas on top. We enjoy getting out and traveling in it and have already made use of it from Sun City (AZ) to Duluth (MN). Enjoy it - enjoy it. None the less, This is our first *Ahem* motor home and my first diesel. So, I will be popping in time from time to ask questions that, by some quirk of fate, mystifies me over something I know little about.

Good one to all!

Kacey
10-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Hi All

I'm Martin from Plymouth in the UK.. I have a mercedes sprinter 313cdi 2011 camper conversion I completed ..

Hello all :cheers:

Cheyenne
10-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Hi All

I'm Martin from Plymouth in the UK.. I have a mercedes sprinter 313cdi 2011 camper conversion I completed ..

Hello all :cheers:

Hi Martin and Welcome from another Brit :rad: (There are a good handful of us on here!).

Keith.

somedude
12-11-2018, 10:15 PM
our 2019 crew 2500 is on the way and set to arrive in the next five days after about five solid years of talking about purchasing. van will not be a daily driver, used mostly to trailer/haul our various boats and provide accommodations at regatta venues, along with adventure camping with the little one now that her siblings are off at college. fit out plans for the time being are:
interior ~ bed (seriously considering van compass murphy bed), tracks for hanger bags and surfboards and rotating front seats.
exterior ~ roof rack/rear ladder (for the small boats and our yearly camping trip...the wife brings the whole house), awning and nerf bars/steps. interior may end up with more fitout than mentioned but we are taking our time to discover what we really want once we do some trips

started lurking here a few years ago once our purchasing discussion became more serious. great info from the group, thanks

signed,
just some dude

patineto
01-02-2019, 12:47 AM
Hi Ricky sur American by heart, but living in the US since 95 because I got tired of the violence..

Patineto" the man that Skateboard, something I did until 2015 (born in 62) when I suffer a spine accident, stop riding bicycles and motorcycles too..

I was a "Consensus Objector" of car for many years, learn in 2011 because we move to utah and has kiddos, I always like to look at them even to work on them but I find a massive responsibility to have such a heavy object under you control (or lack of Control)

So far I had only had three cars..

1995 range rover classic, because it was the cheapest mule that I can find $1000 and actually never let us down.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/Old-range-rovers-including-our/Blue-rover/Blue-Rover-first-trip-to-Utah/i-tPTgwmd/0/13d745cb/X2/IMG_3707-L.jpg

Outback H-6, no timing belts, no head gasket leaks a super reliable too..
https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/Subaru-Outback/Subary-Doggie-tire-mat/i-xgLnBGb/0/9d63ed47/X2/jkgggggggggg%20007-L.jpg

Now a land cruiser V08 that is build for the nuclear holocaust but will only drive for a few miles because it drinks gazoline like crazy

Next a older sprinter do to the undercomplicated nature..

Oh motorcycles, skateboard and bicycles I used to have ****loads

somedude
01-11-2019, 07:46 PM
our 2019 crew 2500 is on the way and set to arrive in the next five days after about five solid years of talking about purchasing. van will not be a daily driver, used mostly to trailer/haul our various boats and provide accommodations at regatta venues, along with adventure camping with the little one now that her siblings are off at college. fit out plans for the time being are:
interior ~ bed (seriously considering van compass murphy bed), tracks for hanger bags and surfboards and rotating front seats.
exterior ~ roof rack/rear ladder (for the small boats and our yearly camping trip...the wife brings the whole house), awning and nerf bars/steps. interior may end up with more fitout than mentioned but we are taking our time to discover what we really want once we do some trips

started lurking here a few years ago once our purchasing discussion became more serious. great info from the group, thanks

signed,
just some dude

2019 arrived on tuesday. they've made some very nice changes but kept dimensions the same so fitout should be easy. first trip is booked for three weeks from now...let the sprinter life begin

GeorgeSP
01-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Hello, i live in FL and found this forum online while looking for answers for adblue/def, might take me a while to find them.

probably already discussed but would like to know if this Walmart def fluid product will work in sprinters? DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid 2.5 Gallon (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sinopec-DEF-Diesel-Exhaust-Fluid-2-2-5-Gallon-Jugs/179335887)

Thank u. GS

Rogerchavez8222
01-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Hi, I'm Roger, I have a 2012 Sprinter with 6 cylinder turbo diesel. I have 100K on it. I guess I like it fine, but I'm not crazy about it. It's paid off, so I've kept it. Only warranty service available is in Littleton, Colorado, and I live in Colorado Springs. It was quite a time investment to get my van there during warranty. I'm have some electrical issues now. Windshield wipers switch seems to be malfunctioning, it only works in 3rd position, and then only in an intermittent manner as if it were in position 1. BUT, if I hit the switch to spray windshield, it will work like it is supposed to. Radio will not turn on/off. BUT, if I remove radio fuse and replace it, the radio will turn on, but not respond to tuning or volume adjustments.

Nice to meet everybody, thanks.

Cheyenne
01-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Hi, I'm Roger, I have a 2012 Sprinter with 6 cylinder turbo diesel. I have 100K on it. I guess I like it fine, but I'm not crazy about it. It's paid off, so I've kept it. Only warranty service available is in Littleton, Colorado, and I live in Colorado Springs. It was quite a time investment to get my van there during warranty. I'm have some electrical issues now. Windshield wipers switch seems to be malfunctioning, it only works in 3rd position, and then only in an intermittent manner as if it were in position 1. BUT, if I hit the switch to spray windshield, it will work like it is supposed to. Radio will not turn on/off. BUT, if I remove radio fuse and replace it, the radio will turn on, but not respond to tuning or volume adjustments.

Nice to meet everybody, thanks.

Hi Roger,

It sounds like you need to get in touch with forum member Dennis who is the owner of LinDen Engineering based in Golden, CO.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/member.php?u=9491

He is the Sprinter guru for CO!

Keith.

thatchillaxdude
02-22-2019, 02:58 AM
Hi folks, my name is Michael, and I own a 140" WB 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 with a high top and dual sliding doors.

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/thatchillaxdude/media/IMG_20190217_084200_005_zpsiend7zwx.jpg.html

After a long search for a T1N with dual sliding doors and relatively low miles (149K), I bought my Sprinter from 303 Cars, LLC, in Newfield, NJ, on February 13, 2019. I blew the turbo and intercooler five days and ~2500 miles later as I was passing thru Las Cruces, NM, on the way back to San Diego. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Sprinter to get ahead of some maintenance issues peculiar to it.

I've been a fulltime vanlife'r in my 2000 Chevrolet Epress 1500 conversion van for just over a year. It didn't take too long for me to come to the realization that I wanted a van that got 20+mpg and that I could stand up in.

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy and that I'm looking forward to deep-diving the threads on here!

Best regards,

Michael

• San Diego~ish
• 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 140" high-top

@thatchillaxdude (anywhere on the web)
https://www.thatchillaxdude.com/

Garandman
04-02-2019, 02:04 AM
Howdy. Live with my wife and three kids in Boston. We also have a ski place at Mount Sunapee, NH.

Ran a business that sold 3D printers so in our fleet we had a total of four vans over the years: an Econoline 250, Chevrolet Express 2500, a Ford Transit Connect (first gen, short/high version) and bought a Ford Transit before I sold the company. Used these vans to tow various sailboats and also to haul motorcycles to tracks for track days. The 2011 TC was a little too short and light duty for our needs so we sold it, but I liked the high roof. The Transit was a medium (6') roof with EcoBoost: we did not buy the diesel because we'd had emissions problems with other late model diesels and found the DEF tank to be a PITA. I still have a medium-sized commercial 3D printer so I'll be making some custom items as the need arises: most of the parts I've made thus far are for motorcycles.

Started using an Aluma utility trailer behind a 6 cyl Outback for motorcycle towing, and we have a Tahoe for heavier trailers. But I didn't like the lack of security of the trailer on long trips, nor setting up and taking down a tent for one or two day events. So when a 118" standard height 2006 Sprinter was offered for sale on a local motorcycle forum, I jumped on it. The interior is pretty rough, and there is one rust spot that needs repair, but it was well maintained mechanically and had been repainted a few years ago. Racks not included.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Sprinter/i-fJZK4hm/0/0a4fd732/M/image1-M.jpg

I pick it up tomorrow. Riding a motorcycle down, then I'll wheel it in the back and drive home. In the meantime I've ordered a Mercedes grill replacement (the owner removed the chrome trim from the hood when it was painted), some Rial Transporter 16" alloy rims (which I note have higher load capacity than the MB alloys, and have TUV approval) and will buy tires locally. The tires on the van are good, just wanted a facelift.

Scheduled an appointment with a body shop 4/18 to fix anything they find. On the docket are improved LED interior lights, insulation, and an upgraded radio/GPS /backup camera. We are using Kenwood in two of our other cars so probably go that way. Also some window covers as when camping at the track during the summer it gets light out too early, and we could use the insulation in the fall.

On the Econoline we used some 2" thick marine insulation material with ripstop mylar covering, Covered with Luan plywood. This worked really well winter and summer. For the Express we used the same material but didn't bother covering it as it made the interior brighter.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-zxGtcvN/0/d4fc3bf5/L/i-zxGtcvN-L.jpg

We did the same thing with the Transit, which had 6' of headroom and the interior LED option. It was a terrific van, and the performance of the EcoBoost was everything we wanted, but is no longer mine. :cry:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4q5xPhF/0/25d2ef8e/L/i-4q5xPhF-L.jpg

Won't be able to add the insulation until after the bodywork is completed. Leaning towards Thinsulate, although the Soundown material (https://soundown.com/products/acoustic-insulation-solutions/?s_p_c_t=1342&ident=1&product_id=77&cat_id_3_1=2&page_num_3_1=1&prod_name_3_1=&back=1) remains an option.