2006 Turbo Problem?

I have a 2006 158 hi top, about 170,000 miles on it. When climbing a hill it will not respond to the fuel acceleration pedal. It will only go to 2000-2500 RPM. It has no power to climb I can manually down shift to keep the RPM s up to 2000-2500. Is this "limp mode"? I are driving When turn the key off and restart it will run ok on the flat or slight grade. Judging from posts on YouTube it sounds like the turbo needs replaced. What do you think? What turbo replacement is recommended? MB, factory? Also I am told there a an OBD sensor that can send info to your I phone as you are driving to help trouble shoot issues. Which OBD sensor is recommended for this year Printer?
I plan to keep the Sprinter a long time and take long trips. I love this thing.
Thanks for your help!

Eric Experience

Yakr.
From you description your turbo is fine, much more likely you have a hole in your hoses letting the boost pressure out. Eric.

98Firebird

I would take a look at hoses and the plastic resonator at the turbo and see if it is splitting where they join the 2 pieces of it together. If the resonator is leaking there will also likely be some oil sprayed around in that area.

Yakr.
From you description your turbo is fine, much more likely you have a hole in your hoses letting the boost pressure out. Eric.
Thank you
I did check the main hose coming off the motor but apparently that's not the one I should be checking . I need to get more familiar with the components involved. I will look closer at the others.

I would take a look at hoses and the plastic resonator at the turbo and see if it is splitting where they join the 2 pieces of it together. If the resonator is leaking there will also likely be some oil sprayed around in that area.
Thank you 98Firebird
Does anyone have any thoughts about the resonator eliminater on the market?

98Firebird

Thank you 98Firebird
Does anyone have any thoughts about the resonator eliminater on the market?
You're welcome, as far as the eliminator goes crazyswede was right on the money the o rings get worn out every now and then but I can count on one hand how many I've seen that issue on. Couldn't tell you how many split resonators I've seen.

98Firebird

How do you know it is time to replace the O rings?
Every time I have had to replace them it has thrown a low boost fault which prompted the trip to myself but usually it has been at the very least a few years since the eliminator was put on. The o ring on the eliminator is the same as the one that comes on the factory resonator. Not sure on a maintenance interval on the o ring but every 2 or 3 years seems like it would be a safe bet just as a guess, I think the o ring is only 5 bucks or so and the eliminator can be removed to change the o ring in less than half an hour for sure only 2 bolts and a hose in the way, cheap insurance if you wanted to stay on top of it. Or just keep a couple o rings in the van with you for that matter. The o ring part number is A 013 997 84 45. Not sure on where to get them at besides the dealer, maybe another member will chime in as far as that goes.

Last edited:
Thank you Both! I put the eliminator on last night. I ran it this morning but there were no hills for the real test. I will be hill hunting this afternoon.

I tested it on the local hills. I'm pretty sure you guys nailed it. I ran it pretty hard and no fault or limp mode. I looked closely at the resonator and you were absolutely right. The seam where the top and body meet was separated and had oil residue on it. THANK YOU!!!! I'm getting ready for a long trip for the Holiday.

Top Bottom