2007 Rear Door Check Strap fragility?

bart

I hope I have this part name correct.

I'm referring to the hinged check strap that stops the rear door from opening more than 90 degrees.

I just noticed that when I have the doors open to 270 degrees, release the check strap from the 'clipped out of the way' position, and gently close the
door, that the roller end of the check strap hits the door opening weatherstripping, instead of landing gently on the pillar hook.

Closer inspection revealed that a small bit of plastic in the hinged portion of BOTH check straps was cracked, and was no longer stopping the check strap in the correct position to land gently on the pillar hook.

Dealer agreed to order 2 replacements under warranty.

I'm not sure why or how this happened, but the spring in these is quite strong. Perhaps when unclipping them, I've just 'let them go' rather than easing them back to the stop, prior to closing the door.

Has anyone else broken theirs?

How's my english? Do we need a photo?:hmmm::thinking::wtf::crazy:

Thanks,

Bart

pix below:

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Your English is fine.

Try the following:

Open the right side - without touching the hinge check-strap mechanism - and ease the door to the first locked open position. Stop before the check-strap engages, before locking into the first "stop" position.

Now, normally, do you place the door in a its locked-open position with more force?

If so, you might consider whether or not it was the normal force you use in placing the door in the first position that caused of the fracture.

-Jon

You might try putting your hand on the check-strap, pressing towards the interior latch to lock it into the first open position w/o stressing the plastic that fractured.... or you could engineer some kind of re-enforcement.... but I haven't broken mine yet and I rarely open my rear doors all the way, so I always use that first lock position.

Last edited:

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
Mine broke* the other day, I open the doors to 270 a lot.

Tom McD

* this does not mean that I hate my truck or that it is/has had any more problems/stuff go wrong then any other product/truck/personal relationship that I have had in the past.

bikergar

One of mine is broke as well...When I released it from the clip that holds it against door in the 270 position it slipped and sprung itself against the stop cracking the plastic. It only takes once to do it.:cry:

Bart
Do they have to replace the entire hinge assembly?

gary

bart

I think that's how mine broke, just letting the spring snap it back to the stop.

I haven't seen the part yet, but the parts guy at the dealer said they'd get a whole new strap, i.e the whole gubbins that bolts on the door, but not
the part that bolts to the pillar.

Bart

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I just looked at mine. I don't see the same plastic on my van's part. It's all metal.

I wonder why it's different.

-Jon

bikergar

When I first looked I didn't see it either. Its on the bottom on the right side(really hard to see) and the top on the left(easier to see) if you have it.

gary

bart

Yup. Left and right are the same, so the right hand side one has the plastic bit on the bottom.

Bart

Top Bottom