Squeal, Limp, Flames.

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Squeal, Limp, Flames.

Driving home tonight from work the truck started to make a squealing noise, I got out and had a listen but of course being on my own I couldnt replicate the noise from underneath the bonnet.

It sounded like leaking air or vacuum, I thought it was turbo related because it coincided with when power was applied.
So I continued to drive with the intention of fixing it when I got home half an hour away.

It then went into limp mode so I pulled over and with it running popped the bonnet and had a further look.

The smoke caught my attention at first, then the flames shooting out of the exhaust.......:censored: it also caught the attention of a passing truck driver who stopped to render assistance. :thumbup:
I quickly shut it down, the DPF was glowing red by this stage, I called for a tow.

While waiting I checked the oil level as I just assume that the turbo bearing/oiler has let go injecting oil directly into the exhaust, hence the flames......:idunno:, the oil level was good but hot.....

If its not one thing with this truck its another, I am a patient bloke but this truck is starting to wear me down......:thumbdown:

Last edited:

Guesses.
Injector over-fueling? (Is the engine oil level high?)

Something "stuck" in the DPF regeneration, or no DPF regenerations during your MAF being wonky caused a buildup? Was this the first long(er) distance operation after that repair?

If its not one thing with this truck its another, I am a patient bloke but this truck is starting to wear me down......:thumbdown:
As I read your post I was thinking something similar.

Good luck.

vic

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Sounds like the dpf melted down, or turbo seal went. The matrix blocked the exhaust, the back pressure made the squealing? Either, that, or the turbo bearings failed....

Last edited:

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
I suspect your earlier lhm issues may be related, or the original cause of this occurrence?
I dont think so, but until I pull it apart I wont know, Im thinking that the turbo bearing has failed and the oil that keeps the bearing lubricated was then injected into the exhaust, but its just a guess at this stage.

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Today I did the swap out or the turbo cluster, it took me all of 6 or 7 hours.
Ran the scanner cleared the codes.

Im going to cut my losses and the next stop is the Toyota dealership to get rid of this piece of sh!t, there is no way I could trust it to be reliable in the outback. :thumbdown:

Im going to cut my losses and the next stop is the Toyota dealership to get rid of this piece of sh!t, there is no way I could trust it to be reliable in the outback. :thumbdown:
Too bad. You've put a bunch of work into it.

At least you have kept your sense of humour.

"2011 Hi-Lo 4x4 cab chassis 316, OM651 2.1 litre 6 speed with after burner facility."

:cheers: vic

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Now calm and sober, common sense has once again set in. :rolleyes:

I have become a far better mechanic thanks to this forum and the general erratic behaviour of Sprinters.
The truck drove better than ever before with the new turbos fitted, this morning I pulled apart the old turbos, the smaller one was locked up, it came free after disassembling it from the cluster.

When taking off the old turbo cluster yesterday I noticed some heavy sooting inside the main port that goes to the DPF.
The inlet from the engine manifold was only mildly sooted up which seems to confirm my theory that the turbo bearing or seal failed with the result being that engine oil was injected down the exhaust system where it ignited. :laughing:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I can't help but think your LHM issues earlier may have been connected to the impending turbo failure. Dual turbo systems are tough to diagnose, as one turbo will cover partially for the other.

Check your oil, as failing turbo bearings can contaminate the sump.

Glad you got it sorted though.

Top Bottom