Air filter box hole

Kiltym

Just changed the air filter on our new to us Sprinter Westfalia.

Noticed a hole at the bottom of the filter box, wondering if this is normal, and if so, what its for. I suppose to let some of the settled dirt out?

Seems to be hole with spines on it, perhaps to keep bigger things from leaving.

Just confirming this is how it is supposed to be, as have not seen this on other cars.

Thanks!
Mark

Attachments

Goofy foot

sliding left...
I believe it's to drain water if any gets in. It's a primitive diaphragm, like in the old style diving masks.

Last edited:
It's also where the mice chew through and get into the air box.
Mine had just the remnants of the plastic "fingers" left so I stuck a piece of fine mesh screen down in there.

... I stuck a piece of fine mesh screen down in there.
Is it accessible enough that a 1/4" wire mesh can be Goop glued or otherwise fastened on the outside underneath? That may be worthwhile for RV's that are stored for long(er) periods of time.

I haven't crawled under to look.

vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
This hole has a rubber diaphragm/flap from the factory. It allows accumulated water to drain out when there is no vacuum on the airbox, and it prevents dirt/debris from being sucked back in. Not a big deal unless you drive through deep water.

It should be left open though, as water can easily accumulate in the box if you drive through heavy rain.

Is it accessible enough that a 1/4" wire mesh can be Goop glued or otherwise fastened on the outside underneath? That may be worthwhile for RV's that are stored for long(er) periods of time.

I haven't crawled under to look.

vic
I glued it in from above when the filter was removed... along with all the acorns! :yell:

Top Bottom