Gear Shifter question

thomasrobert23

Hey everyone, quick question, I have to change out my gear shifter, a while back I had it lock itself in park, and for a week had to use the screwdriver trick to unlock park, but in doing so a small piece of a circuit board broke off. It drives ok, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking a broken circuit in my shifter just can't be good. I bought 2 new/used shifters, one I took apart to find what the piece was that broke off, and realized it is not something easily replaced, and I would be better off replacing the whole shifter....

My question is this: How easy is it to replace the shifter unit? It seems straight forward, but is there anything I should know or look out for when doing it? I would disconnect the battery first and swap out, can it be that easy, or not ?

thanks!

My question is this: How easy is it to replace the shifter unit? It seems straight forward, but is there anything I should know or look out for when doing it? I would disconnect the battery first and swap out, can it be that easy, or not ?

thanks!
I have not changed out the parts. I would consult the service manual. There are some differences between older NAS aka NAFTA T1N and newer model T1N shifter modules.

The shifter assembly is a module in the truest sense. Any stored DTC's can carry over and be presented from a used assembly. Those historical data DTC's just need to be ignored/cleared. Don't be fooled.

Searching should get more information. I'll start you here in this thread.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=393219#post393219

vic

Last edited:

thomasrobert23

just to follow up, I took the risk and switched the shifter out, no error codes, works great, was pretty easy to do... I guess I got lucky on the part I bought, the numbers were very close to the numbers on the old one....

thomasrobert23

well spoke too soon, I had driven about 20 miles with the newer shifter and everything was fine, then yesterday I had a job booked and half way to the job my sprinter would not shift, got stuck in first gear, I was freaking as I had to be at a job, so I pulled over and did a fast switch out back to the original shifter and it got me to the job and home, which was about 160 miles altogether...terrifying though! I think Ill leave this one in and hope for the best.

Top Bottom