Front end clunking / Struts

Jaime72

Hey all;

2014 4cyl 2500 144" Cargo/Conversion is at the dealer for a Schedule B Service @ 57k miles. I asked them to look into a front end clunking. The report is that she needs new struts, and with that an alignment.

They quoted $2500 for Struts/Alignment. Do struts sound right at 57k miles? Pretty easy miles, mostly highway, some gravel roads, nothing rough. It is a conversion van, she doesn't like rough roads! Seems early to have worn through the front end.

Anyone else replace struts this early?

Cheers,

Jaime

PaulDavis

I had to do mine at about 70k. I did them myself, to save thousands - just asked the dealer to do the alignment (which they got wrong).

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
We were changing some of them at 30k in fleet service.
How did you identify the struts as the source of the clunking?

I have some noise from the front end of my 2013 passenger with about 95k miles on it. I'm wondering if it might be the struts.

sleeper bird

i had 179,900 miles just changed em,from what i saw they were not completely worn out they still had pretty good rebound in them,for a work van,i was pretty impressed at what i saw.Strut bushings were not all that bad either.Iv got an 08

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
It's not about a wheel falling off. It's about keeping the wheel under control while rolling down the highway and negotiating corners.

Jaime72

How did you identify the struts as the source of the clunking
Dealer identified. I asked them to investigate the noise (that has been going on for 10k miles) during a regular service. I pretty subtle noise. They inspected steering/suspension components, did a test drive to confirm noise, disconnected one of the steering components in process of elimination, sound was still there, so they deduced the struts.

30k miles to replace struts? That seems WAAY early. Maybe in a commercial vehicle that experiences some abuse, but not a highway driven vehicle that gets babied!

I'll drive her home to AK and have it looked at up here. Everything else drives fine. I'll give an update when home in early September!

Jaime

Cvollmar

It's actually the top bushings for the most part that we found were making the noise. My people drive them like they just robbed a bank. I have changed a bunch of the "lifetime ball joints" also. Carl at MB told me I was crazy until I brought him one with the ball sticking through the top of it

loose motor mount? I lost a bolt on one of my motor mounts had a few clunks than fund the empty hole and stuck a stick in it. Solved the problem. Just Kidding i put a bolt in there.

Monafly

2015 2500 short tall 6cyl
Same problem and solution as RhinoSkin. Occasional clunking noise, especially on rough roads. Found a missing motor mount bolt. Haven't heard anything since, but also haven't been on rough stuff recently.

Critter

Howdy. I am a lurker and learner here, and had to change both of my struts on my 2011 short low Sprinter right after saving approximately 150$ at a national known discount for new tires. At approximately 30,000 miles, I had to replace the Continentals with Michelins. After getting the new tires, everytime I backed up over a bump I heard a really loud clunk or clunks. Only one of the struts were broken, but was told by MB Service of Baton Rouge that you really should change both of them at the same time. So, I am now at @ 100k, and will be getting new Michelins soon, probably at the more expensive MB Store. So I save @ $150 and ended up spending @ $2,200. Story of my life.
Regards,
Bill Crittenden

Top Bottom