Are all om646 engines the same?

marteuk

Sadly my engine needs to e changed, so looking for second hand one from sprinter or vito.
Being Euro 4 it is extremely hard to find second hand one with less than 100k miles on it, so thinking would om646 from any car will fit sprinter with just swapping head cover and the sump? or the block and cylinder heads are different as well? Maybe it would be easy to put the 3.0 v6 one instead of 2.1ltr?

blfmtriv

living in the Top End NT
Marteuk, i have the same issue my om 646 engine is still running but high k,s
2 engineering workshops in victoria au are will to replace the engine with a v6 efi engine and gearbox, and still cheaper than the om646 engine

Ros

Hi Marteuk,
Just wondering what you did in the end for this? My engine has spun a bearing and was thinking to do the same, get a c220 engine or a Vito engine to put in it?!

marteuk

My sprinter is 2008 dpf euro 4, and engine from 2004 vito euro 3 fit just perfect. Only the sump, oil pump tube and rocker cover needed to swap. There is not much info about it, probably because mechanics, workshops trying to charge as much as possible. Not confirmed, but some chap told me that all 646 engines can be put, 2.7 and 3.0 engines as well.

Last edited:

blfmtriv

living in the Top End NT
hi all

did the sprinter 646 engine only have the dual turbo, or was it dual turbo on all om646, theres a cab chassis version with a 646 in it, but not sure if its dual turbo as i cant get around to see it?

Top Bottom