Starting idling issues

R!ley

2006 SHC Wagon 140
Hopefully I can get some help as I'm on the road right now traveling.

I went from having idling issues thinking sometimes it's because of the roof top ac running to not being to start at all with no lights coming on at the dashboard to failed starts...this after driving 4 hours straight-and at the time no ac running as I was at a gas station to fill up. Finally it started and kept an idle long enough for it to go into Drive mode. This morning I went to start and no lights when I turned the key until a few tries...this time the engine light came on and I'm scheduled to drive another 4 hours.

Thanks again!

R!ley

2006 SHC Wagon 140
Hopefully I can get some help as I'm on the road right now traveling.

I went from having idling issues thinking sometimes it's because of the roof top ac running to not being to start at all with no lights coming on at the dashboard to failed starts...this after driving 4 hours straight-and at the time no ac running as I was at a gas station to fill up. Finally it started and kept an idle long enough for it to go into Drive mode. This morning I went to start and no lights when I turned the key until a few tries...this time the engine light came on and I'm scheduled to drive another 4 hours.

Thanks again!
Also won't go into cruise control now.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
How many miles on the van?

You are saying the dash lights won't come on when you turn the key to run? If so, that seems to indicate a bad ignition switch. But just for kicks all the battery cables should be checked for condition. Additional the battery should be load tested, as they can fail internally, and provide erratic service. A quick check with jumper cables from another vehicle could be helpful.

Last edited:

R!ley

2006 SHC Wagon 140
Thanks, I will check.

During today's drive, after slowing down from getting off the interstate to stop at a traffic light, the whole unit shut off and then came back on again by itself...it died and then came back to life. Then back to highway speeds my cruise control began working again and finished the rest of my trip without any problems. Tomorrow I will check out the battery.

R!ley

2006 SHC Wagon 140
Can anyone recommend a repair shop/dealership in Minneapolis.

Had "Start Failure" spelled out after I started it and after idling for 5 minutes it stalled when I shifted into Drive.

Once started again and driving on the highway my dashboard died but the engine was running until it cut out too. I pulled over to stop and started it, drove off. Been driving for hours now without any problems.

My van has 276,000 miles on it and the battery manufacturered date is APRIL 2016.

Thanks for any suggestions!

fisjon

Hi Riley,
I had something similar a while ago (occasional start failure, engine cut-outs while moving off or going over speed bumps) so I put the van into the Bosch dealer to sort it. Turned out to be a broken wire that was separating and reconnecting causing the ECU to have heart failure. The Broken wire was under the floor pan directly under the passenger seat (driver side USA) where the wiring harness goes up into the cabin. There is a braided earth strap that cuts the wires on the early vans, but worth having a look even though your van is newer!
john

R!ley

2006 SHC Wagon 140
How many miles on the van?

You are saying the dash lights won't come on when you turn the key to run? If so, that seems to indicate a bad ignition switch. But just for kicks all the battery cables should be checked for condition. Additional the battery should be load tested, as they can fail internally, and provide erratic service. A quick check with jumper cables from another vehicle could be helpful.
I replaced my ignition switch and now it starts up fine. Thanks for your help!:cheers:

Top Bottom