Water in Fuel Light

Turbodrabbit

Hello,

I have had an ongoing issue with my 2004 Sprinter. I had the water in fuel light come on a few weeks ago, so I drained the filter per the instructions I found in this forum. The light went off, and I ordered a new Mann filter. The light came on during a heavy rain, before I had a chance to change the filter. So again I drained the filter by opening the valve and running the pump for 30-40 secs, and the light did not go off after. I drove the half mile home, and replaced the filter when it stopped raining. That was a week ago, and the light came on this morning when I went to move the van. We had heavy rain again last night. This feels like the wiring is getting wet? I replaced the fuel cap several weeks ago with a used one from a W123 Mercedes thinking maybe the fuel cap was allowing moisture to enter the tank, as the old cap was rusty (seems like a common problem). It looks identical and clicks into place.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
One thing you can (and perhaps should always) do is *capture* the fluid you're bleeding from the filter. Into a clear glass container.
Then sit in on a shelf and watch it...
If there's water in the mix, it will gradually separate out and pool at the bottom of the sample.
(if you don't see anything after a few minutes, try adding some water into the glass so you can learn what "water in fuel" looks like in this test. Shake/mix it up and then watch it settle back out)

The excess humidity could also be affecting the wiring and connectors on their way to the sensor.

--dick

Turbodrabbit

Thank you for the response. I did keep both jars from both purges, and I didn't see any separation. I am going to look at the waiting later today. Thanks!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Sick Sensor?
Besides this, remove the line from the filter that is coming from the tank. Run the pump to fill a jar with fuel from this line.

Does the jar contain water separation as described in Dick's post?

Maybe you should let the van sit, run the fuel into a jar/jug straight from the tank, and look for water. Maybe this would pump out all the water from your tank (if it's in there).

You don't want to waste your time at the filter.

Top Bottom