Underfloor water storage

Jim Lawyer

I've been considering installing a 18+ gallon water tank under the floor next to the fuel tank, as there appears to be room there. Has anyone does this before? Any gotchas I should know about?

I was thinking of locating the filler neck right next to the diesel filler neck (in the door jamb), thereby avoid drilling through the floor for this. The fuel filler neck is snaked up the A pillar which is open to the bottom of the vehicle. Seems obvious, but there must be a reason I haven't seen this before? Any ideas?

With respect to the water pump, should this be installed under the floor also? It doesn't seem like an ideal place for the pump (road dirt, ice, snow, etc). If I install it inside the vehicle, because it's above the water tank, would it need to be primed? (I know these little pumps can push quite a ways, but perhaps not "pull", right?) Is it possible to get a little pump that slides *inside* the water tank (perhaps in a drilled hole), rather like a normal well pump (but in miniature, of course)?

(Obviously I haven't done this stuff before, so I'm learning as I go.)

-Jim

rlent

With respect to the water pump, should this be installed under the floor also? It doesn't seem like an ideal place for the pump (road dirt, ice, snow, etc).
I wouldn't (install it outside the vehicle) - for the very reasons you state.

If I install it inside the vehicle, because it's above the water tank, would it need to be primed? (I know these little pumps can push quite a ways, but perhaps not "pull", right?)
Self-priming pumps that will "pull" are available - the amount of "head" or rise you are dealing is insignificant IMHO. Take a look here:

Shurflo RV Pumps

Is it possible to get a little pump that slides *inside* the water tank (perhaps in a drilled hole), rather like a normal well pump (but in miniature, of course)?
Dunno - check the link above.

(Obviously I haven't done this stuff before, so I'm learning as I go.)
Ain't we all ...... :thumbup:

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
putting a water filler that close to the deisel fill point is not recomended. Unless you want fuel flavored water.

There is room to route a fill line in the body of the truck say..2 feet past the fuel fill. about 6 inches off the floor.

Tom McD

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
In oursthe water tank is just aft of the fuel tank and the propane tank is aft of that.

The water fill is about 5 or 6 feet aft of the fuel fill. It's a hose connection inside a little cubby hole that also houses the electrical cord, the propane switch, and the TV cable hookup. There's a door on the cubbyhole. There's a pressure regulator on the water fill.

Last edited:

moto19

I have a aluminum tank located in the space directly behind the rear end.It has a shure flow pump mounted to the frame behind it, We have a faucet located by the back bumper for an outdoor shower. their is a Y valve that allows you to fill the tank from the faucet .

Top Bottom