Transmission fluid check

Hi all, I've got a 2007 Merc.Sprinter. I'm planning on an unexpected trip from NH to FLA, One thing I would like to do before leaving is purchase a dip stick, any suggestions?
Thanks in advance JD

sailquik

Hi JD,
Our good friend Steve, from Europarts-SD has this trans dipstick at a good price:
http://europarts-sd.com/2002-2009transmissionservicedipstick.asp
Also there are several OEM dipstick sources.
The correct plastic tip on the end of the dipstick, with the "ears" at the top to engage
the downsize "neck" where the dipstick tube enters the transmission casting is the
critical part.
Do not be alarmed if the spiral wound spring sticks up a ways above the top of your
trans dipstick tube. It's the plastic end that does the measuring.
You may want to purchase some new pins for the dipstick tube cover but I've always
found that the o'ring inside the cover keeps it in place just fine.
https://www.carid.com/dorman/transmission-filler-cap-lock-pin-mpn-917-299.html
Hope this helps,
Roger

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
You may want to purchase some new pins for the dipstick tube cover but I've always found that the o'ring inside the cover keeps it in place just fine.
I've also found that the filler cap stays in place just fine without the red locking pin but if you are concerned and would rather have the pin in place you also just break off the little tabs in the cap that prevent removal of the pin, allowing endless use of the pin without damaging it.

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
Hi all, I've got a 2007 Merc.Sprinter. I'm planning on an unexpected trip from NH to FLA, One thing I would like to do before leaving is purchase a dip stick, any suggestions?
Thanks in advance JD
Just curious why the fluid level has become a concern.

First, thanks for the info! Second, I have always maintained my own vehicles, and this crazy idea of not having a simple item like a dipstick just baffles me. I understand you cannot run the engine with this in place, but does anyone have a good reason why it is this way? I'm just used to old school stuff I guess. :idunno:
Thanks again for the info, also, what says the masses on tranny filter and fluid?
JD

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
Thanks again for the info said:
what says the masses on tranny filter and fluid[/B]?
JD
I'm frequent fluids and filters kind of guy. Based on discussion here and other sources, did mine at 65k. Was glad I did based on the sludge I cleaned out of the pan....nothing metallic or gritty, just a very tenacious grayish, 1/64th(??) coating on the bottom of the pan.

Thinking of doing again at 120K.

OBW, check threads about draining torque converter also...good idea in my book.

Just my $0.02, others may see it otherwise.
Best of luck///Ed

eeazye

First, thanks for the info! Second, I have always maintained my own vehicles, and this crazy idea of not having a simple item like a dipstick just baffles me. I understand you cannot run the engine with this in place, but does anyone have a good reason why it is this way? I'm just used to old school stuff I guess. :idunno:
Thanks again for the info, also, what says the masses on tranny filter and fluid?
JD
I was told in tech class that the foremost reason they don't come equipped with a dipstick is to try to prevent consumers and shops that don't know better from adding the wrong fluid type. The other reasons are to prevent contamination from pulling the stick out needlessly. Pretty much all the Japanese and some euro cars fitted with a CVT trans are the same way. They use yet a different specialized green fluid. Mix regular old ATF in there and it will last a matter of minutes.

MB's theory is, if it isn't leaking, there's no need to check it. And last but not least it makes the the trans a little cheaper to produce without fitting a dipstick to each unit.

One final thing, there's no need to remove the locking wedge on the protective cap they install. A good firm grasp and yank will pop it out no problem. Installation is just a reverse procedure. Good firm push and it will snap back into place.

I

Iconmae

So glad to have the forum! I got my answers about the transmission fluid dipstick - or lack thereof.

Top Bottom