Emissions Recall T21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marley

OBD may fail to show fault in mass air flow sensor adaptation...may result in operator not being alerted if exhaust gas recirc system deactivates... :idunno::hmmm:

What, if any, issues could arise from not getting this reprogramming done?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There have been a few threads about that update causing follow-on problems (it's confusing here in the US because there's a 2nd recall out for a mis-programming of another sensor/display (in the brake system)... after the update there are symptoms of "won't start" and the fix appears to be a replacement of the instrument cluster.

Here's one of them: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52197
(which was a merger of two threads)

--dick

Last edited:

Marley

Thanks for the reply.
According to my letter from FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) it is an interim notice and that parts to "provide a permanent remedy" are not currently available and I will be contacted by mail when they are. Not sure what 'parts' are required to do a reprogram though...
I will update this thread if/when anything happens.

getrdone

I just got that notice and have an issue with excessive black smoke when vehicle is going uphill under load, the unit has 160,000 kms on it and I was wondering if the emission parts are still at that mileage under a warranty. I did not buy this unit new and have no operators manual with it.

drmoreau

2006 Sprinter 2500
I just got that notice and have an issue with excessive black smoke when the vehicle is going uphill under load, the unit has 160,000 kms on it and I was wondering if the emission parts are still at that mileage under a warranty. I did not buy this unit new and have no operators manual with it.
Your Mass Air Flow sensor may be dirty and giving a bad reading. A $13 dollar can of MAF cleaner might fix this - takes about 1/3 of a can to do the job.

If it is not a dirty MAF, you might need injector service. I clean mine about every 80,000 km.

FWIW, any dealer can look up your VIN and see if you are still under emission control warranty. With all the diesel scandals going down I would bet the companies are happy to take care of problems.

Finally, diesel particulate matter, AKA smoke, is very toxic and carcinogenic. I used to work in air pollution control and controlling diesel pollution was a big focus area. You will be doing the lord's work if you take care of this - poisoning drivers behind you ain't right!! :2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom