PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Recall T21

Marley
07-18-2017, 08:39 PM
OBD may fail to show fault in mass air flow sensor adaptation...may result in operator not being alerted if exhaust gas recirc system deactivates... :idunno::hmmm:

What, if any, issues could arise from not getting this reprogramming done?

ptheland
07-18-2017, 09:14 PM
What, if any, issues could arise from not getting this reprogramming done?

In states that inspect such things, you might not be able to renew your registration.

Marley
07-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Here, in the oil capital of Canada, they do not do emissions testing...yet...

autostaretx
07-19-2017, 03:06 AM
There have been a few threads about that update causing follow-on problems (it's confusing here in the US because there's a 2nd recall out for a mis-programming of another sensor/display (in the brake system)... after the update there are symptoms of "won't start" and the fix appears to be a replacement of the instrument cluster.

Here's one of them: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52197
(which was a merger of two threads)

--dick

Marley
07-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the reply.
According to my letter from FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) it is an interim notice and that parts to "provide a permanent remedy" are not currently available and I will be contacted by mail when they are. Not sure what 'parts' are required to do a reprogram though...
I will update this thread if/when anything happens.

getrdone
07-28-2017, 03:18 PM
I just got that notice and have an issue with excessive black smoke when vehicle is going uphill under load, the unit has 160,000 kms on it and I was wondering if the emission parts are still at that mileage under a warranty. I did not buy this unit new and have no operators manual with it.

autostaretx
07-28-2017, 04:39 PM
The US versions of the owners' manuals for the 2002-2006 T1N are at http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/

--dick

drmoreau
03-21-2018, 05:13 PM
I just got that notice and have an issue with excessive black smoke when the vehicle is going uphill under load, the unit has 160,000 kms on it and I was wondering if the emission parts are still at that mileage under a warranty. I did not buy this unit new and have no operators manual with it.

Your Mass Air Flow sensor may be dirty and giving a bad reading. A $13 dollar can of MAF cleaner might fix this - takes about 1/3 of a can to do the job.

If it is not a dirty MAF, you might need injector service. I clean mine about every 80,000 km.

FWIW, any dealer can look up your VIN and see if you are still under emission control warranty. With all the diesel scandals going down I would bet the companies are happy to take care of problems.

Finally, diesel particulate matter, AKA smoke, is very toxic and carcinogenic. I used to work in air pollution control and controlling diesel pollution was a big focus area. You will be doing the lord's work if you take care of this - poisoning drivers behind you ain't right!! :2cents:

Aqua Puttana
03-21-2018, 06:44 PM
This T21 Recall thread is closed.

Please take T21 discussion here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57401

vic