PDA

View Full Version : 2002 sprinter 3500 hesitation

Mellowhobo
07-14-2017, 06:04 AM
Hello,
I have a 2002 sprinter 3500. When I first bought this used at 144,000 miles, it had this hesitation where I'd be travelling on various types of roads and the engine would randomly stop providing power unless I pushed down on the pedal harder. If I didn't push the pedal, the vehicle would continue to decelerate.
I changed the fuel filter a couple months ago and the problem stopped.
Now, on a side note, I heard that these sprinters have a problem where air will get into the fuel lines if the tank doesn't have sufficient fuel, causing a hesitation.
Well, I had about a quarter tank of fuel left, and lo and behold, this hesitation problem has once again manifested itself.
I filled my tank to full capacity today, and still experienced the hesitation.
Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Is there any way to remove the air that possibly got into my fuel lines?
Thanks for the read!

Aqua Puttana
07-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Is there any way to remove the air that possibly got into my fuel lines?
Thanks for the read!
The air should be moved out while running. Once the engine is running air leaks in the line *shouldn't* have the effect that you describe.

Have you tried adjusting the brake switch?

vic

Mellowhobo
07-14-2017, 02:02 PM
What kind of adjustment should be done to the brake switch? No I haven't touched it.

Aqua Puttana
07-14-2017, 02:25 PM
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6379

vic

Roberto Valdez Chacon
07-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Hello,
I have a 2002 sprinter 3500. When I first bought this used at 144,000 miles, it had this hesitation where I'd be travelling on various types of roads and the engine would randomly stop providing power unless I pushed down on the pedal harder. If I didn't push the pedal, the vehicle would continue to decelerate.
I changed the fuel filter a couple months ago and the problem stopped.
Now, on a side note, I heard that these sprinters have a problem where air will get into the fuel lines if the tank doesn't have sufficient fuel, causing a hesitation.
Well, I had about a quarter tank of fuel left, and lo and behold, this hesitation problem has once again manifested itself.
I filled my tank to full capacity today, and still experienced the hesitation.
Thanks for the read!

I have the EXACTLY the same problem in a sprinter 2006. If you find the solution please write it.