dimensions of 3-person bench seat

ducsingle

Could I trouble someone to provide the following dimensions for a 3-person bench seat?

• total width of seat from left to right
  • distance between leftmost and rightmost mounting rails

Application is installation into a 118 cargo with dual sliding doors. I've read all the issues with installing rear seats into cargo models, so no worries there.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Remember that the first 3-person bench seat has different dimensions than the second (rear-most) 3-person bench seat.

ducsingle

Remember that the first 3-person bench seat has different dimensions than the second (rear-most) 3-person bench seat.
Ah, good info as I didn't know that.

Which is narrower, the frontmost or rearmost 3-person bench seat? I'm guessing the frontmost is narrower, and that's the one I should probably use.

I was originally planning to install a two person bench seat, but I started thinking that with the dual sliding doors and no plans to install a second bench seat, a three person bench seat should work fine.

The first after-market seat I installed in my 2004 144 single side door model was a 4 person/flip down bed style. I ended up removing it and installing a 3 person seat from a Dodge van. I found the wider seat blocked access to the rear area of the van so much it almost made the side door useless except for getting into the seat.

I know you aren't planning on a 4 person seat, but even a wide 3 person seat could do the same. Not that you asked, but I would recommend you install the shortest 3 person seat practical and favor it being all the way over to the left side (in North America). That way at least you'll have better access to the rear from the curb side door.

Having two sliding doors seems it would be a real bonus. Hope this helps. vic

ducsingle

The first after-market seat I installed in my 2004 144 single side door model was a 4 person/flip down bed style. I ended up removing it and installing a 3 person seat from a Dodge van. I found the wider seat blocked access to the rear area of the van so much it almost made the side door useless except for getting into the seat.

I know you aren't planning on a 4 person seat, but even a wide 3 person seat could do the same. Not that you asked, but I would recommend you install the shortest 3 person seat practical and favor it being all the way over to the left side (in North America). That way at least you'll have better access to the rear from the curb side door.
Good info. I'm planning to mount the seat using E-track rails so the seat can be easily removed or moved as far foward as possible when I need to haul large items (motorcycles, bicycles, etc.) in the back.

Not having access to the rear through the side doors when the bench seat is in place wouldn't bother me.

I used suface mounted L-track
http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/catalog/?category=95&product=108

which I believe is along the same lines as the E-track. It looks like the newer Sprinters come with recessed OEM L-track which would be even better. I find the track system is working very well for my varied purposes. I now even have a second 3 person seat I set up to fit the tracks.

I'm close to mounting a couple tracks on the side walls, but so far can't really justify the extra effort/cost. Have fun with your mods. vic

ducsingle

Bump because I never got an answer to my original questions:

• total width of narrower 3-person bench seat from left to right?
  • distance between leftmost and rightmost mounting rails for above?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
  • total width of narrower 3-person bench seat from left to right?
  • distance between leftmost and rightmost mounting rails for above?
I'm working from memory on this (i'll try to measure them tonight)
I think the narrow seat is 60 inches wide, and the wide seat is 66 inches.

--dick

ducsingle

Resurrecting this thread for answers to a couple of questions. . . .

First, a local friend has a 3-person Sprinter bench seat for sale. It measures about 60-inches in width. Is this the narrower or wider seat?

Second, does anybody know the height of the stock seat brackets that bolt to the floor? My 118 came with a factory wood floor. I pulled it out, traced the outline in 3/4" plywood, and routered an exact copy to place underneat the factory wood piece. To mount a bench seat, I'm thinking I can just router a pocket in the wood floor and use through bolts to attach the stock seat brackets. But if the brackets are too tall, that might not work.

Top Bottom