Exhaust temps spiking...Regen?

Racrx

I hooked up a bully dog watchdog and have noticed my exhaust temps spiking once per tank. Usual exhaust temps are around 550-750* and they will spike to 1000-1150* for 10-20miles. Obviously coolant temps increase a little as well to around 205*. Is this common and is the dpf regenerating?

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
That is likely a regeneration but if it's happening once per tank that sounds a little often. Normal frequency is roughly about once every 700 miles so maybe every two tanks or so, or maybe if you drive primarily in heavy traffic they could some sooner.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
EGT up to about 1200 degF for 10-15 miles is DPF regeneration. It takes 1200 degF to burn the soot. I've been tracking regenerations on my van for the last 40,000 miles (at 90,000 miles now) and the event occurs consistently between 300-400 miles. Once every tank of fuel is about normal in my experience. I do mostly highway driving and use an UltraGauge to track the exhaust temps.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
That is likely a regeneration but if it's happening once per tank that sounds a little often. Normal frequency is roughly about once every 700 miles so maybe every two tanks or so, or maybe if you drive primarily in heavy traffic they could some sooner.
My recollection is that the regen happens based on calculated soot load in the DPF, but it will not go more than 900 kilometers (559 miles) without starting a regen. So if your driving includes plenty of in-town or stop and go traffic, regens will happen more frequently than if the majority of your driving is on the highway.

showkey

Could the reports of differing mileage regen activity be the difference between active VS passive regen. Active vs passive regens should not be confused with forced regen.

Racrx

EGT up to about 1200 degF for 10-15 miles is DPF regeneration. It takes 1200 degF to burn the soot. I've been tracking regenerations on my van for the last 40,000 miles (at 90,000 miles now) and the event occurs consistently between 300-400 miles. Once every tank of fuel is about normal in my experience. I do mostly highway driving and use an UltraGauge to track the exhaust temps.
Thanx! Just wanted to make sure it was "normal". I did run a bottle of diesel cleaner by Lucas Oil which I will pry do every 4-5 tanks. I've put 5k miles on my "new" van in the last month.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Thanx! Just wanted to make sure it was "normal". I did run a bottle of diesel cleaner by Lucas Oil which I will pry do every 4-5 tanks. I've put 5k miles on my "new" van in the last month.
I'd seriously reconsider that practice. MB doesn't recommend fuel additives. Considering that you are getting a 'regen' at twice the normal rate, your additive may be contributing to that experience. The implication is that "something" is producing more carbon waste and that is being detected and burnt off at a higher rate. The 'normal' experience of the 'Sprinter Collective' being about 700 miles between regens.

And there's another reason.... the fuel filters use a hydrophobic membrane to separate water from the fuel. You do not want to use additives (of unknown providence and chemistry) that may emulsify the water/fuel mixture. That would cause the H20 to enter the expensive side of the injection system. And you know where that's going.....

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
+1 on losing the additives. This isn't the place for DIY chemical engineering. Follow your Operator's Manual.

Racrx

I'd seriously reconsider that practice. MB doesn't recommend fuel additives. Considering that you are getting a 'regen' at twice the normal rate, your additive may be contributing to that experience. The implication is that "something" is producing more carbon waste and that is being detected and burnt off at a higher rate. The 'normal' experience of the 'Sprinter Collective' being about 700 miles between regens.

And there's another reason.... the fuel filters use a hydrophobic membrane to separate water from the fuel. You do not want to use additives (of unknown providence and chemistry) that may emulsify the water/fuel mixture. That would cause the H20 to enter the expensive side of the injection system. And you know where that's going.....
Thanx for the info. I've only used 1 bottle and that was 2 tanks ago. I just got this van a month ago so I'm still getting used to A: my first sprinter and B:my first diesel. I plan on changing the fuel filter out in the next week or so. I bought the van with 88,000 miles on it and it's my daily driver so I've been trying to take good care of her. New air (k&n), cabin, oil filters, Mobil 1 X1 (****s expensive!), checked trans fluid, will flush coolant and already had to fix the roof top AC leak (seal around the top). I have noticed a slight squeal from the belt area so something might be going out. Anyway, thanx for all the info!

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Thanx for the info. I've only used 1 bottle and that was 2 tanks ago. I just got this van a month ago so I'm still getting used to A: my first sprinter and B:my first diesel. I plan on changing the fuel filter out in the next week or so. I bought the van with 88,000 miles on it and it's my daily driver so I've been trying to take good care of her. New air (k&n), cabin, oil filters, Mobil 1 X1 (****s expensive!), checked trans fluid, will flush coolant and already had to fix the roof top AC leak (seal around the top). I have noticed a slight squeal from the belt area so something might be going out. Anyway, thanx for all the info!
Don't forget brake fluid. You are supposed to flush every 2 years. Theoretically, you are supposed to get your dealer to exercise the ABS pumps during this flush. Not everybody worries about this, though.:idunno:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
.. I bought the van with 88,000 miles on it and it's my daily driver so I've been trying to take good care of her. New air (k&n), cabin, oil filters, Mobil 1 X1 (****s expensive!), checked trans fluid, will flush coolant and already had to fix the roof top AC leak (seal around the top). I have noticed a slight squeal from the belt area so something might be going out. Anyway, thanx for all the info!
^
• Don't use k§n air filter; its oily and can contaminate sensor
• Mobil 1 X1 doesn't meet the MB Specification 229.51
• with the engine idling look at the belt; it should run straight and true, if you see any fluctuations or wobbling then it's in need of repair.

Theoretically, you are supposed to get your dealer to exercise the ABS pumps during this flush. Not everybody worries about this, though.:idunno:
^ Sprinter doesn't have that type of braking system.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Mobil 1 x1 DOES meet 229.51, 229.52 and 229.31 standards...
No_— https://www.mobil.com/english-ru/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-x1-5w30
Could be confusing with — ESP
https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/naxxmobil-1-esp-x1-0w30

That was not my understanding. The T1N most certainly did. Is something different about the NCV3?
I don't know of any difference between the two.
Please provide any of that certain information you refer to.

The Sprinters has a fine ABS braking system but; it isn't the MB Braking System that requires the
Star: service brake bleeding

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I don't know of any difference between the two.
Please provide any of that certain information you refer to.

The Sprinters has a fine ABS braking system but; it isn't the MB Braking System that requires the
Star: service brake bleeding
Perhaps "certainly" was a bit overstated. My information is not first-hand. However, it came from the consistent advice of the esteemed Doktor A (former regular contributor to this list). For example:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6121

I consider Andy B. to be a highly-credible source.

Here is a more recent thread on this topic, presumably referencing more recent-production Sprinters:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31043

In the latter thread, Dennis presents a somewhat different analysis. I do not know enough about this topic to have a strongly-held opinion. I am merely citing sources I consider credible.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
In my experience most modern ABS systems only require manual ABS cycling when the lines to the ABS module are disturbed, but not for ordinary brake flushes. That is what the service manual for my 2008 indicates (but of course it is a Dodge manual, not MB.)

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
.....The 'normal' experience of the 'Sprinter Collective' being about 700 miles between regens....
I've seen several references to this ~700 miles between Regens, but never any data - just speculation. As I posted earlier in this thread I'm tracking every Regen on my van with an UltraGauge and I get 300-400 miles between Regens. I drive about 20,000 miles per year with lots of road trips and avoid bio-diesel when I can. Just reached 90,000 miles with no issues.

Top Bottom