Sensor Behind Bumper - What is it?

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

2000 208 CDi MWB Bus & 2005 313 CDi 4mWB Crew Van
While grubbing about underneath my engine looking for the Crankshaft Position Sensor, which I still haven't found, I noticed this dangling at the bottom inner of the bumper.

I removed the front grill to pull it up and take this photo.

Don't have a clue what it is!...Photo a bit deceptive it's not that big

DSC_0001-2.jpg

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

I thought that but I don't have an outside temp display in cabin?

I wondered if it was airbag related, being behind bumper.

Looks like it has a very specific shape plug and there are round holes in the metalwork there but I didn't want to force it in to one, in case it is an airbag sensor.

...We've all seen the youtube clip of an old lady swinging her shopping bag in to that rude mans bumper!:lol:

(in case you haven't seen it she falls asleep on her feet walking across a zebra crossing, rude man in fancy convertible pulls right up to her honks his horn wakes her with a start and she pushes shopping bag in to bumper sending off all his airbags making him look like the idiot he is!)

lindenengineering

Gwilam
Hello to you in "Ampshire!
Me from Gloucestershire many yurs ago now!

That ambient temp sensor is very important take care of it!
It forms part of the fueling component calculation acting in consort with the ambient pressure sensor located inside the PCM. Calculates actual air density and power output!
Twas !
A the subject of a Dodge bulletin back in 2004 and mysterious loses of power, all down to that sensor being damaged or corroded out!
Curious place to site it and other manufacturers places it is a more protected area.
Must be that best place or nothing!:rolleyes:
Cheers Dennis

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
It attaches to the plastic behind the front license plate. It is the outside temp sensor. If you're crawling under the bumper, look at that plastic license plate holder. On the left side (opposite the car battery) (driver side in UK) under the car, you will see where this sensor clips in.

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

Thanks so much for the fantastic, accurate, replies I thought there must be a socket for it somewhere.

From underneath it's impossible to see the back of bumper behind license plate because there is a metal beam With only half inch gap to bottom of bumper, which is where the sensor was dangling, so I will have to reposition it from above at the front with grille removed which will be tricky because you can't see beind license plate...just by feel or maybe with a morror?

I do not have A/C but do have an Espar for coolant warming in the winter.

:tongue:to linden engineering, you must be on the Scrumpy today!:wtf:

...I am in Dorset by the way, just. They moved the boundary Ages ago how old are you?:laughing:

Coincidentally I used to live near Gloucester on the Hereford/Worcester border where they make some of the best cider, before that Oxford where my cousins made Scrumpy with a rusty metal bar left in for some odd reason!...I worked in a pub during summer break and wasn't allowed to sell snakebite to bikers 'cos they would get angry....fond memories of my youth:thumbup:

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Thanks so much for the fantastic, accurate, replies I thought there must be a socket for it somewhere.

From underneath it's impossible to see the back of bumper behind license plate because there is a metal beam With only half inch gap to bottom of bumper, which is where the sensor was dangling, so I will have to reposition it from above at the front with grille removed which will be tricky because you can't see beind license plate...just by feel or maybe with a morror?

I do not have A/C but do have an Espar for coolant warming in the winter.

:tongue:to linden engineering, you must be on the Scrumpy today!:wtf:

...I am in Dorset by the way, just. They moved the boundary Ages ago how old are you?:laughing:

Coincidentally I used to live near Gloucester on the Hereford/Worcester border where they make some of the best cider, before that Oxford where my cousins made Scrumpy with a rusty metal bar left in for some odd reason!...I worked in a pub during summer break and wasn't allowed to sell snakebite to bikers 'cos they would get angry....fond memories of my youth:thumbup:

Well strangely enough I have just slurped down a tin of Strongbow which I just bought from a Publix supermarket in Sarasota
We are holidaying for the 4th of July period ! Its just pure Americana and much better than Bonfire Night.
Add this to the best holiday ever called Thanksgiving in November ! Its like Christmas without having to buy bloody Christmas presents!

As to snakebite well It was called scrump when I was a lad !
T'was popular with Jamaicans mixed with Port wine in Gloucester . Reggie Maan!:thumbup:
Dennis

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

Oh dear getting off the subject here but I can't resist correcting the ex pat who has forgotten about English Cider and I must try to stop an urban myth in its tracks!:bash:

:professor:

Snake bite is half lager(what people outside UK often call beer) half Cider. & it makes bikers angry.

Snakebite & Black or a Snakebite Top is same with a top of Blackcurrent cordial.

Both equally "YUK"!:thumbdown:

Now, for the proper stuff, "Scrump" is short for "Scrumpy" which is a vastly superior authentic product....it has no fizz and if you have finished your work on a hot summers day out in the fields, scything the hay or something like that, it is unsurpassable!:thumbup:

Scrump + Port sounds exceptionally interesting and I am going to try it!

Last edited:

lofty whiteley

lofty whiteley
While grubbing about underneath my engine looking for the Crankshaft Position Sensor, which I still haven't found, I noticed this dangling at the bottom inner of the bumper.

I removed the front grill to pull it up and take this photo.

Don't have a clue what it is!...Photo a bit deceptive it's not that big

View attachment 87311
I'm struggling to find this sensor on line,all i can find are 2006 onwards. Any supplier info much appreciated.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
What makes you think it needs replacing? The picture of yours looks just like mine.

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

Here's the US service manual's take on where and how the Ambient Temperature Sensor is located:

View attachment 87314

--dick

The bracket is not behind my license plate....However just below and to the left there is a perfect size hole, in the bumper, to accept the sensor. But no bracket meaning it will be protruding outside the bumper a little.

I'll try upload a photo, I have tried but keep getting 'jpg invalid' which is odd because it's identical to my other photo of the sensor. I am a pro photographer so know what I'm talking about there.

I suspect there is supposed to be some kind of dome to protect the sensor on the exterior because it will be poking out by about quarter of a centimetre, all naked and vulnerable!

I will get the part number written on the sensor for lofty.

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

Mother Mercedes feels that you need to order factory A/C to deserve an ambient temperature dash display. Do you have factory A/C? ( I believe that you show the charge air cooler in your picture.)

vic
I do appear to have a Charge Air Cooler...Is that for A/C?....If so I didn't even know I had A/C.

How do I confirm this?:idunno:

...I've googled now and looks like Charge Air Cooler is an after cooler for hot air from the turbo.

I think I am right?

Which explains the large rubber tubes running from it's base to the top of engine.

Last edited:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Here is the location for the temp sensor. On most sprinters, that plastic piece behind the license plate is chrome. But the sensor is attached to the plastic. I'd bet if you didn't have the plastic, then it must clip in to the bumper. My bumper hole for that sensor is a bit larger.
IMG_20170702_173246001_HDR.jpg

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

:thumbup:Thanks ECU. I assume you took a photo of yours especially for me?

From the location of ECU's sensor I think it's pretty obvious my sensor should indeed be somehow mounted where my latest photo showed. Where the hole I found is located.

Part of the problem is that we don't have the same number plate holders in the UK.

You can just about see, in the top of my first photo at the start of this thread, that our license plate mount is just a slightly moulded part of the bumper.

But below left of the license plate looks like the right location.

I'll have to dig further to find out exactly what my UK year 2000 CDi is missing!

Perhaps I need to call in to the Mercedes service people, Pentagon Poole.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
...I've googled now and looks like Charge Air Cooler is an after cooler for hot air from the turbo.

I think I am right?

Which explains the large rubber tubes running from it's base to the top of engine.
Yes, the turbo action heats up the air, so it's passed through the radiator sandwich before getting to the intake manifold.
If you look at the battery side of the radiator, you'll see it's really two rubber hoses with a plastic pipe section in-between.. and mounted in that plastic pipe are the Manifold Absolute PRessure (MAP) and Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensors.

--dick
p.s. you can get a list of what MB built into your Sprinter by visiting http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes and entering your VIN... the result will be the van's "datacard" with all installed options cited.

Top Bottom