PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel for 2001 4x4 sprinter

TotalComp
06-29-2017, 11:09 PM
Hi folks,

Anyone know where I could purchase a snorkel for a 2001 Sprinter? I have seen them for 2006 and up...

Also interested in a roof rack system for a double cab.

Thanks!

NelsonSprinter
06-30-2017, 03:56 AM
Snorkels are not sold for these Sprinters because Sprinters were not designed for water deeper than 4" The electrical system is too finicky to be submerged because of a CANBUS system and non-waterproofing. Every Sprinter that has been submerged over hubs in the USA has to be given a flooded/salvage title

3rdGen2019
06-30-2017, 04:10 AM
Sprinters were not designed for water deeper than 4" The electrical system is too finicky to be submerged because of a CANBUS system and non-waterproofing. Every Sprinter that has been submerged over hubs in the USA has to be given a flooded/salvage title

did you mean 4" or 24" ? for the recent 4x4 models it's officially 24" https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=566746&postcount=14

TotalComp
06-30-2017, 05:19 AM
That's some good info on the waterlevel and the electronics. . I was more thinking about raising the intake higher up to avoid most dust from vehicles driving in front of me on gravel roads.

Tooth Fairy
06-30-2017, 09:48 AM
TI was more thinking about raising the intake higher up to avoid most dust from vehicles driving in front of me on gravel roads.

Same reason I fitted mine.

There is a current thread on the forum about snorkel fitting, apparently only wankers fit then........:laughing:

Midwestdrifter
07-01-2017, 04:34 AM
Following with interest.

The sprinters intake is already fairly high, so shallow water crossing isn't a big deal if you go slow.

The dust thing is definitely a good reason. I believe sealing the fender panel where is meets the wheel well will prevent a lot of dust from being pulled up into the intake (which is behind the fender).

Maybe some used parts can be found on german Ebay?