PDA

View Full Version : strange noise - help

dsellsbear
06-19-2017, 11:19 PM
Previous to today I had not driven my sprinter if a few weeks. I have been waiting for summer to figure out what all is wrong with it. Glow plug light has been on and off for 6 months. I decided to take it for a ride and all was going well until I heard a very strange howling/whining noise coming from the driver's side footwell. I stopped, got out and filmed the noise. Please look and listen to the video and tell me if you recognize this issue. Thanks in advance. https://youtu.be/y9iRjLVo9cg

By the way
2003 Sprinter
199,985 miles
engine replaced under warranty at 98k by previous owner
intake recall performed 2 years ago

Rickpcmp3
06-20-2017, 01:12 AM
Perhaps vacuum related

Tooth Fairy
06-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Alternator pulley?

Eric Experience
06-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Dsells.
Run it briefly with the fan belt off as it could be water pump or belt pulleys. Eric

Roberto Valdez Chacon
06-20-2017, 07:26 PM
In my little experience:

1.- Auxiliary bearings of the motor belt (tensioning pulley).

2 .- When I made the oil change to the hydraulic direction, by mistake I turned on the truck without oil, I heard a similar sound because there was no oil in the pump.

3.- With that noise, if it were the bearing of the water pump the water catch would be throwing water.

With a half-inch hose you put one end in one ear and with the other end you look for sound like a doctor with a stethoscope.

autostaretx
06-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Does the sound appear in the engine compartment, or only in the footwell/cabin?

If only inside the Sprinter, then i'd wonder if one of the relays attached to Fuse Block 1 (under the steering wheel) was "making and breaking" at a rapid rate (that's how buzzers are made).

--dick

dsellsbear
06-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Dick -
I think you are probably correct. I had a problem with my turn signals so I switched out the two relays at the bottom of fuse block 1 recently and the noise does seem to be more from the inside footwell area. I am going to mess around with the relays that I got off amazon and see if this fixes my new problem. 87139
HELLA 965453041 Micro 10/20 Amp SPDT Relay
Is there anyone out there with good/bad experience with these relays?

Thank you all for the replies.

dsellsbear
06-23-2017, 04:44 AM
Dick,
You were correct. The relays were making the noise. I pushed them in a bit more with a bit of a jiggle and the noise is gone.

Now I'm off to have the dealer change out my glow plugs.
I have the tall intake that came with the recall (don't remember if it is the same height as the old one) that I feel makes the replacing of glow plugs nearly impossible without removing the entire intake.

Thanks again.