PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug problem

kingdeacon
03-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I replaced all 4 glow plugs about 4 months ago with bosch Duratherms, they made a big difference to cold starting this winter and I have been very pleased with them.

Last night when I started the van the glow plug light never light up before staring the engine like it normally would, but came on after the engine had started and stayed on for around a minute before tuning out. This morning it is the same :( The engine is harder to start to, as one would expect.

Could it be the relay this time? Any tips on how I can test it, I do have a cheap multi meter.

Thanks,
Rob.

sikwan
03-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Makes sense to check the relay this time.

Remove relay from Sprinter, connect to the battery (with some jumper leads) and test for continuity on the contacts.

mgjessop
03-12-2009, 04:31 PM
You said you replaced all 4 Glow Plugs... May be that 5th glow plug is the problem..:hmmm:

abittenbinder
03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
You said you replaced all 4 Glow Plugs... May be that 5th glow plug is the problem..:hmmm:

I suspect this owner lives across the pond and owns a Sprinter w/ 611 4 cylinder CDI engine.

Be careful about testing the glow plug 'relay'. If this is a similar design to the version here in the NAFTA market 612 and 647 models- it is NOT a traditional relay but rather a control module with diagnostic capabilities.

Retest your glow plugs for any newly developed short or open plugs and check wiring. Bench testing of a glow plug 'module' is not advisable for the DIY'er. Doktor A

kkanuck
11-17-2010, 12:15 AM
I replaced all 4 glow plugs about 4 months ago with bosch Duratherms, they made a big difference to cold starting this winter and I have been very pleased with them.

Last night when I started the van the glow plug light never light up before staring the engine like it normally would, but came on after the engine had started and stayed on for around a minute before tuning out. This morning it is the same :( The engine is harder to start to, as one would expect.

Could it be the relay this time? Any tips on how I can test it, I do have a cheap multi meter.

Thanks,
Rob.

Does anyone have a model number for this Duratherm Bosch GP that is rated for the Sprinter? It is not A 001 159 48 01 by chance is it?

abittenbinder
11-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Does anyone have a model number for this Duratherm Bosch GP that is rated for the Sprinter? It is not A 001 159 48 01 by chance is it?

There are 2 part numbers. One for the Sprinter 5 cyl glow plugs made in the Bosch plant in France and one for the plugs from the Bosch plant in Germany. Doktor A

kkanuck
11-17-2010, 03:21 PM
There are 2 part numbers. One for the Sprinter 5 cyl glow plugs made in the Bosch plant in France and one for the plugs from the Bosch plant in Germany. Doktor A

I used the French ones, and that model number is the one quoted above. If anyone has the German model # for future reference, please share.

Cheers,

Tibor