PDA

View Full Version : mystery rubber part after radiator clean

gwftc
06-18-2017, 02:12 AM
Sprinter was starting to get towards the red line on long grades. disassembled front and cleaned bugs and sand from radiators. On the ground this small rubber U turn part appeared.
Inspected suspect areas with no luck. Hoping for some help . . .
Thanks, Gary

Eric Experience
06-18-2017, 02:50 AM
Gary.
Its the head light breather. Eric.

gwftc
06-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Thanks, man!

vanski
06-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Regarding approaching redline... not good! I blew a hole in my piston and concluded it was due to over heating. I never went into the red but on hot days, 95 F, the truck would idle around 210 F. Putting in a new, and making sure it was the right size, serpentine belt and belt tensioner fixed the over heating.

Throttlejockey
06-19-2017, 02:54 PM
Regarding approaching redline... not good! I blew a hole in my piston and concluded it was due to over heating. I never went into the red but on hot days, 95 F, the truck would idle around 210 F. Putting in a new, and making sure it was the right size, serpentine belt and belt tensioner fixed the over heating.

Slipping?

vanski
06-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Yes, but it seems to be a bit more complicated than that and I'm not sure of the mechanics... what tipped me off to the problem was my viscous clutch/fan assembly was not working properly. I changed it out to the proper new oem fan/clutch, but no change, still did not engage. Turns out that when the fan clutch was engaging but it was causing the water pump bearing to slow down since the belt/tensioner was not working properly. So not only was I not getting the airflow I needed but I also wasn't getting proper coolant flow!!!

It was 106 F here in Northern CA yesterday and I went on a short drive up a hill and let the truck idle for a while. It topped off at 210 F going up the hill and then settled down to 190 while idling at stop. Before it would have shot up to at least 230 F and at idle/stop probably stay around 210.

Wish I would have caught this sooner!