The strangest intermittent electrical problem

danielmccoy

2004 Sprinter Westfalia
I've got one to stump you...

I've got a 2004 T1N with the original Becker radio. Occasionally, when it is cold, the radio will come on (only for a split second) when the ignition comes on, then it will go off. I can't turn it on with the power button after that. However, if I turn on the headlights, the radio will work. Usually this problem goes away when the car is warm. So, right now in the summer, it works fine.

Ideas? Thanks.

Arnie_Oli

Likewise I have an old OEM you can have for shipping cost. It is just cluttering my workshop on the shelf with other spare parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Could be the "accessory" wafer of your ignition switch (which powers Fuse 15 in Fuse Block 1 (under the steering column))
OR the central timer module.
Question: if you have heater rear windows: do they work when the radio is not working?
(and/or do they affect the radio, too)

Hints gleaned from various wiring diagram pages in the 2006 service manual: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf

--dick

danielmccoy

2004 Sprinter Westfalia
Could be the "accessory" wafer of your ignition switch (which powers Fuse 15 in Fuse Block 1 (under the steering column))
OR the central timer module.
Question: if you have heater rear windows: do they work when the radio is not working?
(and/or do they affect the radio, too)

Hints gleaned from various wiring diagram pages in the 2006 service manual: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf

--dick
I do not have heated rear windows. As to this wafer... do you have a part number for this? Is it relatively easy to replace? The timer module does appear to work, at least it keeps the radio on after the vehicle is turned off until I open a door. Thanks!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The wafer is an internal part of the ignition (i.e. key) switch. Not available as a separate part. The ignition switch is what you'd replace (if an ohmmeter/voltmeter demonstrated that it wasn't working)

Quaint about your radio: my 2005's Becker turns off when i turn off the key. It is still powered, since i can manually turn it back on again.
The doors have no effect upon my radio's working or (non)delay-to-off.

good luck hunting
--dick

Top Bottom