Loud pop on long climb. Van died.

harmar

I'm in wv going up a long climb. Van made a loud pop. Rpms went to zero and I coasted to a stop.
Would turn over fine but not start for a while. Finally after a wait it turned right on.
Check engine light is on.
But van seems to run fine.

No weird noises under hood.
Three hours from home. Not sure if I should baby it on or turn arising. Supposed to be in Indiana tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrawsonw

Unfounded guess from a neophyte sprinter owner! If it's lacking powerful​ (no turbo) then the turbo hose or turbo resonator.

2006 140" Tall Passenger 125k miles

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Here's where a ScanGauge or the like would be very very handy... it would read out the error code that's triggering the Check Engine light, and it would let you monitor some of the live sensors (like boost performance, fuel consumption).

If the "pop" had been a turbo leak, you'd be experiencing lack of power above some speed (or on hills).

Drop in to (almost) any auto parts store, and they're probably willing to "read your codes" for free.
(don't clear them... let them remain for deeper diagnostics)

The vehicle is probably safe to drive until convenient to work on it.... if it thought it wasn't, you'd be restricted in terms of what it's willing to do (such as locking you into 2nd gear if it thought the transmission was at risk of damage).

But get the codes read ASAP.
The forum has a list of folks with scanners that are willing to have you visit.
Here's the "scan tool access" thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9444

--dick

Last edited:

icarus

Another vote for an onboard, real time scan gauge/ultra gauge. The fact that it quit is troublesome, my first thought would be a blown hose or resonator, but since it quite that would argue against it, and since it runs fine now. Could be a hose that blows under extreme pressure and regains it's shape under lower boost pressure. I would drive carefully paying attention to things, but I wouldn't panic yet.

Icarus

harmar

Oh. It doesn't even limp. It just shuts off. It did this more and more until I could only get about 3 miles before it died again.
Code was low fuel rail pressure. Now it's indicating Crank Arm Position Sensor.

Oh. It doesn't even limp. It just shuts off. It did this more and more until I could only get about 3 miles before it died again.
Code was low fuel rail pressure. Now it's indicating Crank Arm Position Sensor.

Keep in mind that different/odd conditions can set multiple or even unrelated codes as the operating engine condition deteriorates unexpectedly after any component failure.

You may need an experienced technician using live data to sort things out.

The DTC's provide data. They do not provide Google maps turn by turn directions for repair.

vic

Top Bottom