Transmission Service: I think the tech screwed up

ducsingle

While reviewing the paperwork for my recently performed 60k mile service (2005 118 wheelbase), I noticed in the notes that only 5 quarts of transmission fluid had been added. This seems really low. When I picked up the vehicle, I specifically asked the tech if he had drained the torque converter, and he said yes, but now I'm thinking he was full of crap.

The service notes also read "Note: no dipstick for transmission" so I'm thinking they didn't check the level either. This is from a diesel specific shop that claimed to do a fair amount of work on local Sprinter fleet vehicles.

Any thoughts?

rlent

While reviewing the paperwork for my recently performed 60k mile service (2005 118 wheelbase), I noticed in the notes that only 5 quarts of transmission fluid had been added. This seems really low. When I picked up the vehicle, I specifically asked the tech if he had drained the torque converter, and he said yes, but now I'm thinking he was full of crap.
Could be ....

My '06 service manual, in the "Lubrication" section, shows a "Service Fill" (as opposed to an "overhaul fill") is 5.0L - which is approximately 5.28 quarts. The overhaul fill is 7.7 liters - or 8.13 quarts ...... however, if one goes to "Transmission Fill" in the NAG1 transmission section one finds the following:

"Add following initial quantity of required fluid to transmission:
(a) If only fluid and filter were changed, add 7.4 L (14.8 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.
(b) If transmission was completely overhauled, torque converter was replaced or drained, and cooler was flushed, add 7.7 L (16.3 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission."

To me, the above data is seemingly contradictory - and it boggles my mind that a major car company could put out a document with such a gross error (if it indeed is, in error) - particularly given the fact that this is from an '06 service manual (meaning it has possibly been in error for a number of years.) If it is not in error then there should be some explanation explaining how a "Service Fill" is different than a fill done when changing the fluid and filter.

I hold both Chrysler and Mercedes responsible - Chrysler because they are the ones selling the vehicle and service manual - and Mercedes - because they built the vehicle and probably were the original source of the service manual data, if not the manual itself - that they may not have been ones doing the German to English translation is irrelevant - they had a responsibility to side-check it and ensure it was correct prior to any public distribution.

Thinking back on it, when I originally did my transmission service for the first time, I think I used over seven liters. One of things that I also discovered was that, after draining the transmission pan and torque converter, if you cracked the transmission cooler lines up by the radiator, a not insignificant amount of fluid (possibly a 1/4 liter or more) would drain out, that would probably not otherwise do so - from both the lines themselves, and from the transmission. Doktor A incorporated this data as an addendum to his write up posted on the Yahoo Sprinter Group for fluid and filter change.

The service notes also read "Note: no dipstick for transmission" so I'm thinking they didn't check the level either. This is from a diesel specific shop that claimed to do a fair amount of work on local Sprinter fleet vehicles. Any thoughts?
Yes - apparently the service work that they do doesn't include doing transmission service - otherwise I would think they would have the proper tools to do it correctly.

The above experience would lead me to question exactly what kind of fluid was used when servicing was done - I would ask to see some proof - such as an invoice from their supplier - showing that they had indeed obtained the correct fluid, meeting the applicable MB spec, prior to servicing your vehicle. Just my :2cents:

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Torque converter probably wasn't drained, unknown ATF used, no MB dipstick used.

At least they have the 5 quarts value correct.

ducsingle

The above experience would lead me to question exactly what kind of fluid was used when servicing was done - I would ask to see some proof - such as an invoice from their supplier - showing that they had indeed obtained the correct fluid, meeting the applicable MB spec, prior to servicing your vehicle.
They used the correct Sprinter/Crossfire fluid as I provided them with it and I saw the empty bottles on the workbench! Unfortunately, there were full bottles in the back of my van when I got home, which clued me in that something was amiss. . . .

I'll give them a call and tell them they screwed up. If they make things right, great. If not, I'll post their info here, on Yelp, and I'll send a letter to the Better Business Bureau and write it off as a bad experience.

Top Bottom