PDA

View Full Version : Post Wreck Inspection

kylecm
06-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Good morning,

I had a DEF failure in our Siesta 24SA so it had to go to Mercedes Benz. While the mechanic was test driving the vehicle he rear-ended another vehicle resulting in damage to the front of the RV and including EVERYTHING that was in the cabinets to being thrown all over the interior.

The mechanic was cited for failing to avoid an accident. MB is stating that they will cover everything under their insurance.

With that said, has anyone had experience with

a.) damage done by a repair shop?

b.) an RV that had a pretty hard impact?

The reason that I ask is there any tips on what I should require of the Mercedes repair facility? Second, what are the things that I should look for that a solid impact could effect that is not visible like the front end?

We were actually heading out of town on Friday for the weekend and had vacation plans next weekend. We will have to cancel. I know that this is a first world problem, but their negligence has a pretty significant externality.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Cheyenne
06-07-2017, 06:19 PM
We were actually heading out of town on Friday for the weekend and had vacation plans next weekend. We will have to cancel. I know that this is a first world problem, but their negligence has a pretty significant externality.

In the UK you would hire a replacement and send the bill to their insurer, can you not do the same? You may have to prove you had pre-made plans, ie camp ground bookings or similar.

PS And sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Keith.

Mike DZ
06-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Can you tell us the dealership? I would like to avoid if possible.

I would recommend having the MB dealer pay for a RV tech's inspection for hidden damage to the RV systems. Logic is that the MB tech is not qualified to inspect RV systems, just like an RV tech is not qualified to work MB systems.

Bobnoxious
06-07-2017, 07:35 PM
I think the collision repair facility must be certified by MB the certification and subsequent recertification fees are pricey. So, ask to see their certification credentials. I don't think the dealer would send you to a non-certified facility but you never know. I certainly would demand a loaner.

edfrompa
06-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Before I signed off on their repairs, I would-at my own expense- have the front end inspected and alignment verified by an independent, truck frame and alignment shop that does repairs on fleet sprinters. I am fortunate enough to have one in my hometown and it is a degree of confidence I just don't have in some dealerships....especially when you and your family are on Interstates at 70+ mph.
Just my $0.02//Best of luck, Ed

kylecm
06-07-2017, 11:58 PM
I think the collision repair facility must be certified by MB the certification and subsequent recertification fees are pricey. So, ask to see their certification credentials. I don't think the dealer would send you to a non-certified facility but you never know. I certainly would demand a loaner.

Good point. The facility that the RV was at is both Mercedez Benz Service and Collision.

kylecm
06-08-2017, 12:00 AM
Can you tell us the dealership? I would like to avoid if possible.

I would recommend having the MB dealer pay for a RV tech's inspection for hidden damage to the RV systems. Logic is that the MB tech is not qualified to inspect RV systems, just like an RV tech is not qualified to work MB systems.

Mercedez Benz of Alexandria, however, they are actually doing a great job of trying to make things right. The tech was checking to see if the DEF repairs were completed when the accident occurred.

kylecm
06-08-2017, 01:00 AM
Before I signed off on their repairs, I would-at my own expense- have the front end inspected and alignment verified by an independent, truck frame and alignment shop that does repairs on fleet sprinters. I am fortunate enough to have one in my hometown and it is a degree of confidence I just don't have in some dealerships....especially when you and your family are on Interstates at 70+ mph.
Just my $0.02//Best of luck, Ed

Ed,

I had not thought about that. There is a truck alignment shop that is less than an hour from me. I had them align it when I replaced the tires last month. After the work has been completed, I will run it up there and have them check it. Thanks

OldWest
06-08-2017, 01:41 AM
Virginia looks like a diminution of value state. Search. Here's a link:

https://www.cooperhurley.com/blog/property-damage-diminished-value-claims-in-virginia/

Midnightmoon
06-08-2017, 01:43 AM
I had a similar situation with one of my vehicles last summer. I chose to let the dealership handle it under their insurance and in house. It worked out much better than expected. They did go above and beyond to make me happy and did an excellent job getting things back in order.

I didn't have to involve my attorney in the situation, but I did ask him a few questions. He advised me that I had to give them an opportunity to make the repairs to my satisfaction and I also had the right to reject the repair if it wasn't right. Thankfully, there were no issues with the repair and the dealership made a sincere attempt to make me happy with the situation. Hopefully things work out in the same way for you.

OldWest
06-08-2017, 01:53 AM
Thread on a fender bender in California.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50295&highlight=California+damages

kylecm
01-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Just to close out this thread:

1.) The Siesta front end was repaired by Mercedes Benz Collision Center of Alexandria VA. They did an outstanding job. (Repair cost $10k)

2.) In order for the floor and slideout to be repaired the RV had to go back to Thor in Elkhart, IN. The floor looks great, however, the workmanship of the Thor Factory repair, well... They had stated they would have to remove the slideout, cabinets, etc and pull up the old floor and put in the new. Actually, they simply put the new floor on top of the old. (Repair cost $2k)

3.) The soft spot is still in the floor. Thor stated that it was normal wear and tear.

4.) Diminished Value. I was able to negotiate a fairly reasonable DV for the accident. (about $18k)

Thanks for all of the info as we worked through this 5-month process.

Chuck