USB charging for under 20$

LVMike

I posted this in another thread and decided to do a bit better of a write-up to hare with you all.

I have been disappointed with my 12v power socket in the dash and having my phone charger rattle loose and stop charging.. off road it practically had to be held in place to keep the phone charging-- annoying!! So I went in search of a solution and found this inexpensive dual port USB charger on Amazon for about 12$. It is dual 3.1amp so it will support fast charging on many phones.

The switch is unfortunately far too big to fit in the dash switch cutouts BUT it actually fit into the aux heater control opening perfectly! All that was needed is something to fill the leftover space in the opening... So I use a small thin piece of stained wood I had from a previous project and sanded it until it fit the opening. It was about 1/8" thick and something similar may be available as a trim or something at home Depot but a hobby/craft shop will likely have something perfect. A small bit of hot glue on the back side held it in place perfectly!

To wire it I used the wire run to the 12v outlet by removing the connector and using two female blade style connectors from home Depot for 10-12ga wire. I used some 18ga speaker wire and twisted it together with the 12ga run for the socket then crimped the blade connectors for the socket to the pairs twisted together. I then trimmed the 18ga run to the new charger to appropriate length and added another set of blade connectors on for the USB charger. It has worked perfectly.

Hope this is helpful for others.:cheers:

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom