Which scan tool(s) to buy?

bcral

Hey all.

I'm working on my 2006 2500 camper conversion, and am running into some issues with the van itself.

I love these forums, and use the search tool for basically everything. My question isn't about my specific problem (it's a common one), but what my options are for diagnostics tools. There are some lights on the dash, and so the best place to start is just with checking the codes.

Now, I know prices vary greatly on these, and I don't want to get something that won't really help me. I should also mention that I'm a good 60+ miles to the nearest Sprinter shop, and my issue causes my break lights to be on all the time, so it's not the safest thing to drive that far, though it is my first choice for these situations.

Can I get anything that won't cost more than buying a new van?

Thanks!

P.S. Bonus points to anyone that can tell me what this is, and why it's been unplugged since I bought it from the dealer? It looks important...
http://i65.tinypic.com/2uh38kj.jpg

Zundfolge

Always learning...
P.S. Bonus points to anyone that can tell me what this is, and why it's been unplugged since I bought it from the dealer? It looks important...
http://i65.tinypic.com/2uh38kj.jpg
Don't give me any bonus points yet, but I'm pretty sure that's just an axle/diff vent tube? Keeps pressure from building inside the diff as temps rise from friction of components heating diff fluid = expansion of gases and they have a safe place to go to the atmosphere, rather than putting pressure on your seals. Something like that. It vents high to keep moisture from intruding in. Plug 'er beck in.

I just ordered the Autel MD802 which many seem to highly regard on here.

Have you read this?

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46898

More capable but more equipment:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51894

There is a Scanner subsecion:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=205

D

Deleted member 50714

:thumbup: Keep the B points and buy two boxes of Girl Scout Cookies BUT take only one. Note: If enough slack, nip off about an inch and reinstall with a clamp.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

bcral

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, it looks like that vent tube isn't the source of all of my codes, then. But, not like it's hard to plug back in. :)

I'll have to look in to the Autel MD802, seeing as I WILL need a scan tool at some point. It looks like this might also work on my 2002 Jetta, yeah? Two birds with one diagnostics tool!

Don't give me any bonus points yet, but I'm pretty sure that's just an axle/diff vent tube? Keeps pressure from building inside the diff as temps rise from friction of components heating diff fluid = expansion of gases and they have a safe place to go to the atmosphere, rather than putting pressure on your seals. Something like that. It vents high to keep moisture from intruding in. Plug 'er beck in.

I just ordered the Autel MD802 which many seem to highly regard on here.

Have you read this?

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46898

More capable but more equipment:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51894

There is a Scanner subsecion:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=205
Thanks for the links. That was helpful. Now I am torn between the icarsoft and the autel.

D

Deleted member 50714

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, it looks like that vent tube isn't the source of all of my codes, then. But, not like it's hard to plug back in. :)

I'll have to look in to the Autel MD802, seeing as I WILL need a scan tool at some point. It looks like this might also work on my 2002 Jetta, yeah? Two birds with one diagnostics tool!
No worries, German engineers scour this forum. The 2020 model Will have three sensors on the rear end, all capable of throwing Limp Home Mode.

bcral

No worries, German engineers scour this forum. The 2020 model Will have three sensors on the rear end, all capable of throwing Limp Home Mode.
Hey, how else would you know your blinker fluid is low? I'm pretty sure the running joke in the Engineering office is "When it doubt, throw it in LHM!" Replace all the dash lights with one that just says "PROBLEM".

Aso, the Autel will be here later today. Can't wait to test it out and see if I can pinpoint my issue(s)!

D

Deleted member 50714

Hey, how else would you know your blinker fluid is low? I'm pretty sure the running joke in the Engineering office is "When it doubt, throw it in LHM!" Replace all the dash lights with one that just says "PROBLEM".

Aso, the Autel will be here later today. Can't wait to test it out and see if I can pinpoint my issue(s)!
Will you post your results?

ZED

Sprinter Newbie
I keep hearing that but I assure you reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

bcral

Hey Bob. Sorry for the silence - weekends are my time to work on the project. :D

So I received the Autel and started using it. I found out that it was only picking up the codes that were throwing my emissions dash light. All 4 are related to glow plugs, and not an immediate concern to me.

I'm having the "ABS, ESP, traction control light" issue. My brake lights work, so I think it's most likely a wheel speed sensor. The lights go away after I turn the van off and on again, but after a short drive cycle, they return. When they're on, it also puts me into "park-lock". I haven't needed to do the "Shift to neutral, then start it" trick to get it out, because every time I turn it off and on, the lights are gone, and it's out of park-lock.

I should also add that the first thing I did is replace the brake light switch, and made sure the plunger is all the way out. It does always go one click in when the pedal first puts pressure on it, but I'm assuming this is normal?

Anyway, what I really want from the scanner now is just to find any codes from these dash lights. I even performed the drive cycle with it plugged in, and it's still not finding them. This was all with just the OBDii scan. If this issue is a wheel speed sensor, I'd rather know which one, before I go replacing all 4.

Thanks guys!

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
This was all with just the OBDii scan. If this issue is a wheel speed sensor, I'd rather know which one, before I go replacing all 4.

Thanks guys!
If you perform a 'Full' scan and not an OBD2 scan you should then get access to the ABS module and you will be able to see all 4 individual wheel speed signals. If you then monitor live data hopefully you will find your problem.

Keith.
Autel MD802 owner in UK.

D

Deleted member 50714

I regret I can't be of more assistance as my knowledge and diagnostic skills related to Sprinter's are elementary at best but improving daily by diligent study. IMHO, if you plan on doing your own Sprinter repairs, Xentry is preferred diagnostic tool, however, the learning curve may be steep for some, especially me. It may be possible to get by with other scanners, I am just saying what is ideal for MB vehicles. Attempting diagnosis without the proper equipment is the same as trying to remove lug nuts with bare hands. Good luck and please, pinky swear you will keep thread updated for future reference.

bcral

Haha, I'll keep you posted, Bob. ;-)

Cheyenne, unfortunately I don't have my van or scan tool on me, but I believe you mean to use the "scan" option on the main screen?

I tried doing this and selecting the vehicle. First I started by looking in the Chrysler options (my T1N is a Dodge brand), and selected the VT Sprinter(I think?) module, and tried scanning. I wasn't able to get this to work.

Next I looked in the Benz options, and didn't find a module for a Sprinter. Do I need to take a completely custom approach and start with a VIN search?

Thanks guys.

showkey

Sprinter's are elementary at best but improving daily by diligent study. IMHO, if you plan on doing your own Sprinter repairs, Xentry is preferred diagnostic tool, however, the learning curve may be steep for some, especially me. .

There are multiple scan tools that will work and be the exact same information and detail.

Some are faster, cheaper, easier to work and and understand. The xentry is a copy of the factory tool and its slow, relatively expensive, cumbersome and not easy to navigate. Xentry does do functions other scan tools do not do. A good scan tool should not be a hobby in itself.:bash:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Haha, I'll keep you posted, Bob. ;-)

Cheyenne, unfortunately I don't have my van or scan tool on me, but I believe you mean to use the "scan" option on the main screen?

I tried doing this and selecting the vehicle. First I started by looking in the Chrysler options (my T1N is a Dodge brand), and selected the VT Sprinter(I think?) module, and tried scanning. I wasn't able to get this to work.

Next I looked in the Benz options, and didn't find a module for a Sprinter. Do I need to take a completely custom approach and start with a VIN search?

Thanks guys.
Neither!

Sprinter has a category all of its own :thumbup:

Keith.

D

Deleted member 50714

There are multiple scan tools that will work and be the exact same information and detail.
Thank you, would you kindly provide recomendations?. Specifically, a scan tool able to add 5-starts to Ad Blue, produce hard copies of Control Unit history logs, etc at a similar price point of a Xentry clone?

...are faster, cheaper, easier to work and and understand.
Not any more difficult than learning how to use a Mac for the first time. Every person's learning capabilities very greatly.

...xentry [sic] is a copy of the factory tool and its slow, relatively expensive, cumbersome and not easy to navigate.
I agree in part but as with anything, studying, learning, practice and experience equates to understanding, knowledge, competence and proficiency. For example, the ability to unhook a bra one-handed. Fortunately, I had plenty of willing subjects to practice. In spite of your perceived deficiencies, Xentry clone is certainly affordable and adequate for Do it yourselfer's.

...[Xentry]...does do functions other scan tools do not do.
And, precisely why I stated Xentry is "IDEAL" diagnostic tool for MB's.

good scan tool should not be a hobby in itself.:bash:
:bash:That's absurd, but I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion! Why can't Xentry or car tinkering be a hobby "in itself?" I have enjoyed many "Hobbies." For example, I have enjoyed hunting, fishing, sailing, power-boating, street/dirt bikes, flying, pole dancing spectator, womanizing, etc. All far more expensive than the cost of a piddly Xentry clone. I know of many people who have only one hobby.:snore:

The inner workings of a Sprinter are a mystery and I want to explore and learn as much as possible. Every now and then, I get a hankering to turn wrenches, not that I have to, I can very well afford to purchase a new Sprinter every year. Not bragging, just stating a fact.

showkey

Quick ease of use to get the job done is the goal. Many dealer techs will skip the factory that is slow cumbersome for a scan tool that works. Use a scan tool in the example for ABS that can read codes and life data list that will for example show the wheel speed sensors. Any tech or DIY guy might choose a tool that works and is not a hobby or a PIA to get basic info or a fix.

Yes Xentry..... will reset the DEF clock

Yes .......your having fun learning the tool.......others just want to fix the problem and move on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Quick ease of use to get the job done is the goal. Many dealer techs will skip the factory that is slow cumbersome for a scan tool that works. Use a scan tool in the example for ABS that can read codes and life data list that will for example show the wheel speed sensors. Any tech or DIY guy might choose a tool that works and is not a hobby or a PIA to get basic info or a fix.

Yes Xentry..... will reset the DEF clock

Yes .......your having fun learning the tool.......others just want to fix the problem and move on.
It's completely understandable why "working" technician would want the fastest machine. As you noted, my situation is different, time is not a factor this is entertainment, my focus is proficiency and accuracy; expedience will follow.

So, any suggestions on Xentry alternative? I notice Potty Smellmoore aka Scotty Kilmore is using what appears to be a intuitive/capable scanner. My knowledge is zero. Well, closer to one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom