The long road to recovery, where is all the oil going.

Joshuaam

Alright So I got the 2008 Sprinter that I spoke of in my last post. It has been a journey and quit a bit of learning. She is Running now but is having some serious oil consumption issues. I will give you a run down of what we have found going into her, what we have fixed, and what we have discovered while driving it.

2008 Dodge Sprinter, was an old airport shuttle extended roof and length, with the bus doors, she's a very unique sprinter!

She came to me with a Bad Cat, A turbo that had been replaced, and a bad DPF.

We changed the Cat out, as the mechanic who had worked on it before welded in a smaller after market cat that caused the system to build to much back pressure causing her to go into limp mode.

Ordered an OEM Cat, and DPF fixed this and it works great it seems.

We look into the Glow Plug code it's throwing, turns out the mechanic before me broke glow plug #2. My mechanic does not want to attempt to extract it since he does not have the right extraction set so we left her in and decided to address this later with a mechanic in L.A ( I'm in Phoenix) we change the oil & air filter, and oil and reset all codes.

She Seemed to be running great for the first few days, then boom on comes the oil light.

I checked the oil levels and wow! she's less two quarts in 250 miles! Ok so this is a fluke put some oil in and keep checking her.

Turns it's not a fluke, I'm seeing 1 quart of oil disappear every 100 miles. I'm not getting black smoke, there is not excessive soot out of the exhaust pipe. So I'm starting to lean towards piston rings.

She is now throwing codes, P04040, P2457, P040B Which are generic EGR codes.

As well I started getting RPM fluctuations and a shudder when cruising down the highway this get worse the warmer the vehicle gets. The rpms will go up about 150-200 rpms and a shudder will come from the transmission area of the vehicle. Is this the transmission slipping? I have plans to get transmission fluid replaced on Friday

Please if you guys and let me know what I should be looking at for losing so much oil, if I can't find anything I will next get a compression test to check rings...

Thank you all for the help.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Alright So I got the 2008 Sprinter that I spoke of in my last post. It has been a journey and quit a bit of learning. She is Running now but is having some serious oil consumption issues. I will give you a run down of what we have found going into her, what we have fixed, and what we have discovered while driving it.

2008 Dodge Sprinter, was an old airport shuttle extended roof and length, with the bus doors, she's a very unique sprinter!

She came to me with a Bad Cat, A turbo that had been replaced, and a bad DPF.

We changed the Cat out, as the mechanic who had worked on it before welded in a smaller after market cat that caused the system to build to much back pressure causing her to go into limp mode.

Ordered an OEM Cat, and DPF fixed this and it works great it seems.

We look into the Glow Plug code it's throwing, turns out the mechanic before me broke glow plug #2. My mechanic does not want to attempt to extract it since he does not have the right extraction set so we left her in and decided to address this later with a mechanic in L.A ( I'm in Phoenix) we change the oil & air filter, and oil and reset all codes.

She Seemed to be running great for the first few days, then boom on comes the oil light.

I checked the oil levels and wow! she's less two quarts in 250 miles! Ok so this is a fluke put some oil in and keep checking her.

Turns it's not a fluke, I'm seeing 1 quart of oil disappear every 100 miles. I'm not getting black smoke, there is not excessive soot out of the exhaust pipe. So I'm starting to lean towards piston rings.

She is now throwing codes, P04040, P2457, P040B Which are generic EGR codes.

As well I started getting RPM fluctuations and a shudder when cruising down the highway this get worse the warmer the vehicle gets. The rpms will go up about 150-200 rpms and a shudder will come from the transmission area of the vehicle. Is this the transmission slipping? I have plans to get transmission fluid replaced on Friday

Please if you guys and let me know what I should be looking at for losing so much oil, if I can't find anything I will next get a compression test to check rings...

Thank you all for the help.
OK
Two sets of comments.
I have a 2008 906 with 300,000 on it doing the same thing.
It came to me as a gift so to speak with same issues as you!
It guzzles oil at about 150 miles per qrt.

Whats the cause you might ask?
Basically previous,owner neglect and using the wrong oil.
I suspect the oil rings are stuck with carbon deposits.
The solution apart from tearing the thing to bits is to give it the BG treatment first .
Feed the engine with BG 109 to free of carbon in the inlets and porting.
Then give it a strong addition of a double charge of BG DOC to a fresh oil change repeating at 1000 miles monitoring the reduction of oil consumption.

The DOC stuff is high in phosphorus so it will strip carbon off the engine internals . Obviously frequent oil filter changes must go with this! Changing them twice within the first 1000 miles of this treatment regimens.
The repeat the whole thing again and monitor oil reduction consumption amounts.
This has to be done with some urgency because you are on the road to a plugged up cat & DPF again!

The transmission shudder is the lock up clutch in the torque converter or an injector issue. A scanner will provide the evidence.
Assuming its the transmission for a moment I suspect your lock up clutch solenoid and circuit board need to be changed including the comms socket. That must also include a full fluid/filter change out' even from the torque converter! This calls for about 7 qrts of MB fluid and a can of BG ATC transmission additive which we find smooths out an aged transmission to shift like a new one .
Hope that helps with your inquiry
Dennis
Mechanic

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
First thing to check is the pcv oil separator diaphragm. If this has failed the oil will be sucked into the turbo and it will clog up your dpf again.

Hope that is the cause, other things are much more expensive.

Sprinter SS

First thing to check is the pcv oil separator diaphragm. If this has failed the oil will be sucked into the turbo and it will clog up your dpf again.

Hope that is the cause, other things are much more expensive.
+1 on this generation. Rubber diaphragm allows straight oil vapor into turbo intake...

lindenengineering

Just for info I have replaced the whole breather assy on this unit I have as a test van as it was letting some oil into the induction tract as an overview of the problem.
BUT for this level of consumption it is flowing past the pistons into the exhaust. Not the first I have seen but about the worst for oil guzzling.
Dennis

Engine AND Transmission?? :eek:

When MB became aware that additives were being suggested for one of their perfect products we were contacted and ordered to include the following cautions. Every owner is encouraged to listen to and heed these official directly applicable comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom