ocassional EDC light, even more occasional check oil light

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
Hi, i was wondering if someone would recognise this

occasionally on starting my EDC light comes on and stays on until i next turn the engine off. this happens maybe 5% of the time on a warm day. 80% of the time on a cold day. perhaps 2% of the time i also get a check oil light.

the van runs fine. starts ok, although in the cold it can take longer to crank. when it takes longer to crank the EDC light always comes on.

its a good van, had it 4 years with no real troubles at all.hoping to get another 200k if i look after it well, so if this is warning there is trouble brewing i'd like to deal with it early

2002 311 CDI LWB

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I'm guessing the EDC light is the fuel filter clogged light? Have you replaced the fuel filter and checked your oil lately?

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
yes, both. that's why i was surprised.

i paid to have the oil changed a couple of months back (a little before the issue started) - maybe they botched it? any idea how i can check the oil is the correct consistency

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
Only way to check that is with a blackstone labs oil test kit.

EDC light, the red fuel light? Check for air bubbles in the line going into the filter. Make sure your filter was actually replaced, not just the outside cleaned off. Without a scanner we can't see high side pressure or active codes, without a gauge we can't see low side pressure. Can't really troubleshoot without those. Maybe take a fuel sample. Check oil level.

Do you see any smoke? Test voltage at glowplugs key on, and test glowplugs resistance with key off.

See this thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10754

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I think even the 2002 has a "fuel filter clogged" (i.e. low low-side fuel pressure) indicator to the lower left of the tachometer (ECU referred to this, but it's undocumented in the US owner's manuals).

It's item (26) is this diagram:

--dick

Top Bottom