Help! 06 RV Gone into Limp in Middle of Nowhere

Marley

Great West campervan going up the highway out west of Vancouver. Lost power on a hill. Would surge a bit then die. Engine light now on. Don't have code reader.
Any ideas?
Probably need a tow about 40 miles to next small town...

kcb905

Under heavy boost (up hill) you potentially blew a hose off the barb if the clamp was loose, or split the resonator seam. Look at the induction hoses (big ones) for oil near the clamps. Feel the hose for splits.

Last edited:

Marley

Where is the resonator? Is it the black canister attached to the rubber hose looking down n the left in the engine comparty?

kcb905

yes, it fits directly into the turbo and has a bracket attached to the alternator. Easier to inspect from under the truck.

Marley

Just checked underneath and there is oil dripping down from the turbo area onto the alternator bracket.

kcb905

Ya, the clogged filter will just stop the engine dead, even when you're smokin' down the highway. That's fun:thumbdown:

kcb905

well it's an RV, if you're stocked with food and drink and a place to lay down it's not so bad.

just tell her ''don't worry about a thing, every little thing goin' to be alright.''

Marley

Next small town wasn't any help so on to the Mercedes dealer further down the road.
Did find oil on the right side of the engine around some hoses though...

krisinak

Under heavy boost (up hill) you potentially blew a hose off the barb if the clamp was loose, or split the resonator seam. Look at the induction hoses (big ones) for oil near the clamps. Feel the hose for splits.
this sounds like good council to me. when the exact thing happened to me in mexico with a heavy loaded cargo trailer in tow going up a very steep grade. it was a split hose. i have since installed the aluminum replacement for the resonator, and carry spare hoses and clamps. and yes, you can drive it in limp mode. good luck, and chin up!

this sounds like good council to me. when the exact thing happened to me in mexico with a heavy loaded cargo trailer in tow going up a very steep grade. it was a split hose. i have since installed the aluminum replacement for the resonator, and carry spare hoses and clamps. and yes, you can drive it in limp mode. good luck, and chin up!
I always carry a spare top hose, as it has been the most common one to split for me. It's about a 10 minute fix.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Marley

Update: did a roadside fix (sealing the the turbo resonator with tape) and that seemed to work. Tow guy was there though so we chose to take a careful approach and got towed.
The MB dealer was awesome and got us in, diagnosed, and... the turbo resonator replaced, right at quitting time.
Expensive experience but turned out reasonably well. Without the wife onboard I would have dealt with it differently...

sebtown

You my want to carry a spare Dorman resonator or perhaps an aluminum eliminator for the next time the Mercedes one fails. Even their latest Q5 resonators have been know to fail. I'd also take wefix's advice and carry a spare upper charge hose.

Marley

Many thanks to all that helped out. I will carry spare parts ... and maybe roadside assistance insurance too!

$30 Dorman 904-303 Turbo Dampener: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E323DS/ref=ox_ya_os_product

More expensive aluminum pipe replacement: http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Resonator-Eliminator-SRE06-Sprinter/dp/B00822NFZU/ref=sr_1_1

(your wife may complain about the pipe's louder/higher noise profile)
For that reason (and being :2cents: cheap), i installed the Dorman

--dick
I have an '05 with the aluminum resonator delete, and picked up an' 06 last November that still has the resonator. Big difference in noise levels. I have considered going back to the resonator on the '05 so I can hear my cell phone calls again.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

You my want to carry a spare Dorman resonator or perhaps an aluminum eliminator for the next time the Mercedes one fails. Even their latest Q5 resonators have been know to fail. I'd also take wefix's advice and carry a spare upper charge hose.
ROCKAUTO. I have a spare resonator and belt under the front seat. I used the serpentine belt kit when on the road last summer. Also a good roll of duct tape that can patch the hoses in a pinch.
I just ordered hinge pins for a sagging drivers door and some high quality headlight bulbs and all my filters from rockauto. Here in Canada it comes right to my door with Canada post and I have the choice of what brand I want. $200 of spares in a sprinter van can probably save you a $1000.
CAA doesn't hurt either.

Greenbeard

I, too, just blew the hose leading into the turbo resonator. I am going to order a spare resonator, but I don't know the name or number of the supply hose. Also, somebody mentioned that the 'top' hose tends to blow out. Any info on how to order such things? Thanks in advance.

Matt

Top Bottom