Strange ignition / starter problem

Alelalen

Hello. Did write one thread but its missing?

Having problems with my Sprinter 316 2003.

Yesterday I was going for a ride, put the key in and turned it to start.
But it didnt start, the starter did just spin full speed (solenoid not activated?), it still did spin when i turned out the key so I was forced to remove the battery cables. After a awhile a did put the cables back, and when I put on the last cable the starter starts to spin full spin (dont runs engine, only starter runs). Alot of times I tryed.
Did turn on and out the key alot if it was something there but didnt make any change.
Also tryed with the spare key.

Did let it stand for the night, then the steering wheel lock started to give trouble after the night. It never troubled before.
Couldnt turn the key to get the steering wheel lock out. Yes I turned the steering wheel and did try "everything". Did spray some 5-56 in keyhole, after much rattle and tryes I could turn the key and get the steering wheel lock out.

Then towed it to a garage, did some more 5-56 in the keyhole and I could turn the key, but it's need to be rattled and with the right "technique" I could turn the key.
Put on the batterycables, and starter didnt start.

Then I could start the car. Alot of times without problem. But still the key need to be rattled and takes some time to be possible to turn it, sometimes faster then other times.

So what do I do? Same thing with the starter happend about one year ago, put off the battery, and after 30min it was ok. Never been anyting after until now.

Do I change the electric ignition switch on the backside? Becuse the starter did get the startsignal but not the solenoid?

Or the key with the lock cylinder?

If I buy one used ignition with key, do the key need to be programmed to my car? Or could I tape the original key where the ir (?) feels the key? And I use the used ignition with key I buy used?

Dont wanna be stranded along way from home...

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
Sounds like a problem with current to the starter. It actually goes thru the steering column to the underseat relay and to the starter at full current

Easiest thing to do would be change the relay and see if it improves.

I've had one freak failure of a starter that broke internally and would just spin (the motor not the gear)...removing the starter to see if the "lock" still functions is an option (the shaft is supposed to turn the gear, except in my case it didn't but the motor spun at full speed and the shaft extended)

If neither helps, there's lots of threads on here to help tracing the starter circuit...

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

Possibly two problems here. I don't know about the key problems, but a spinning starter (doesn't turn engine over) sounds like it could be due to a partially broken flexplate causing the ring gear of the flexplate to sometimes lose contact with the starter gear.

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
Pulling the starter while it's just spinning, (like in your driveway) you could check both the flywheel and the starter...you can see a bit of it from the starter hole...

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"Starter spins, engine doesn't run"

Your starter solenoid has activated, but either its heavy-duty internal contacts (the ones that power the starter motor) have welded themselves shut (i.e. conducting power), or the solenoid's return spring has broken (the spring re-opens the contacts).

As a quicky test/attempt-to-fix, i'd whack the side of the solenoid with a small hammer (such as a beefy screwdriver handle).
That *may* allow the spring to reset the solenoid.

But from the symptom: the solenoid is at fault.

(added on re-think) OR it could be the ignition switch or starter relay (located on seat-side fuse panel in the US).

How to tell: the next time it gets into "starter motor spins", disconnect the battery.
Then reach down to the starter and disconnect the *small* wire (that triggers the solenoid).
Reconnect the battery. If the starter motor spins again, it's the solenoid at fault.
If the starter motor does NOT spin, use a voltmeter to see if +12v is appearing on the wire you disconnected.
If 12v is appearing, then go swap out the starter relay

Why the engine itself won't run is a secondary problem (it could be that the running starter motor is pulling down the battery, although it should be about the same load as the glow plugs).

--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom