Sprinter error code P242F Diesel Particulate Filter restriction ash accumulation Need

So i have a few error codes today P242F P0101 mass or volume air flow circuit range/performance and F0100 mass or volume air flow circuit
Dealer says $1,600 needs Mass Air flow sensor.
I checked my MAF sensor it is a Bosch PBT-GF30 advanced auto parts sells a Bosch air mass meter for 163.46 and their specs fit my 2007 Dodge sprinter 2500 3.0L V6 DIesel Turbo. Can this be the same part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

My four cents. Avoid "Stealerships" at all cost because, believe me, it's going to "cost" you! Find an European independent who employs the use of a dealer level (Xentry) or equivalent diagnostic instruments and knowledgeable with Sprinters. Verify by asking to see the equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Europarts SD sells the exact Bosch sensor for $177.88, vs a dealer list they say is $657 :wtf: So part of the difference may be that, and maybe the dealer is pricing in a manual DPF regen or something. $1,600 to replace a MAF sounds absurd so there must be some other services in there (?), only way to know for sure is to ask.

http://europarts-sd.com/massairflowsensor-dieselengine2007-2009.asp

I will take a look at that one. I appreciate the link. Do you think the auto parts store one is not the same thing? Just curious. Thanks

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I will take a look at that one. I appreciate the link. Do you think the auto parts store one is not the same thing? Just curious. Thanks
I do not know, but it is not uncommon for auto store lookup tables to be erroneous for Sprinters because applications can vary, sometimes even down to the VIN level. Euro SD specializes in Sprinters and can generally be trusted to be accurate, or another source for accurate info is your dealer but they may or may not have very attractive pricing, as you are finding out.

Europarts SD sells the exact Bosch sensor for $177.88, vs a dealer list they say is $657 :wtf: So part of the difference may be that, and maybe the dealer is pricing in a manual DPF regen or something. $1,600 to replace a MAF sounds absurd so there must be some other services in there (?), only way to know for sure is to ask.

http://europarts-sd.com/massairflowsensor-dieselengine2007-2009.asp

P242F is there a part number for that?

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
Before you go throwing parts at this, you need to figure out exactly what is wrong. You've got multiple codes, which makes diagnosis tricky. A failure of one part can eventually lead to multiple error codes-some of which may seem to be unrelated. Thinking about the DPF, how many miles are on the truck? What kind of driving does it see?

smiller

Before you go throwing parts at this, you need to figure out exactly what is wrong. You've got multiple codes, which makes diagnosis tricky. A failure of one part can eventually lead to multiple error codes-some of which may seem to be unrelated.
This is exactly right.

Before you go throwing parts at this, you need to figure out exactly what is wrong. You've got multiple codes, which makes diagnosis tricky. A failure of one part can eventually lead to multiple error codes-some of which may seem to be unrelated. Thinking about the DPF, how many miles are on the truck? What kind of driving does it see?

Passenger van 79,000 miles. Only local driving.

I do not know, but it is not uncommon for auto store lookup tables to be erroneous for Sprinters because applications can vary, sometimes even down to the VIN level. Euro SD specializes in Sprinters and can generally be trusted to be accurate, or another source for accurate info is your dealer but they may or may not have very attractive pricing, as you are finding out.

Ok then I will go with your connection. The dealer wanted the MSRP price from MOPAR

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
I forgot to ask what model year this is.

But I wouldn't replace the MAF just yet. Particularly if the van is more than 6 or 7 years old. I'd be more concerned about the DPF. Lots of short trips are much harder on it than longer trips.

I'd look for a mechanic with a factory Star Diagnostic System who really knows how to use it and interpret its data. There's a slim possibility that a forced DPF regent cycle could fix you up.

I forgot to ask what model year this is.

But I wouldn't replace the MAF just yet. Particularly if the van is more than 6 or 7 years old. I'd be more concerned about the DPF. Lots of short trips are much harder on it than longer trips.

I'd look for a mechanic with a factory Star Diagnostic System who really knows how to use it and interpret its data. There's a slim possibility that a forced DPF regent cycle could fix you up.

2007 Dodge sprinter passenger van.
2007 Dodge sprinter 2500 3.0L V6 DIesel Turbo unfortunately the dodge and Mercedes dealers are the only ones in my area who have lifts for this van. I appreciate all the advice!

D

Deleted member 50714

You mentioned local driving. Do you ever take it out on the highway for 20 minutes or longer?

lindenengineering

This job needs thorough interrogation,
Ding Ding Ding Sounds like------Plugged up DPF and if you were to uncork it at the back of the turbo the MAF fault would go away. AND it would run like a raped ape --=If every such a beast ever existed !!!
In short it is constipated.

If it checks out that your DPF is plugged up you need a new one.
A GEN YOU WINE DPF unit is $650 exchange from MB parts source. Don't listen to the crap from Dodge dealers at $4000 for this job!:thumbdown:
You most likely will need a new updated diff pressure sensor-- budget $135
And maybe a new EBP sensor at $85

Two to three hours of shop labor including re-set and soot load re- prog and it will run like new again!
Did two just like it last week!
Dennis
Mechanic

smiller

The dealer wanted the MSRP price from MOPAR
FWIW, I've noticed to my surprise that the same part can be considerably less expensive at my local MB dealer than Dodge. I'm not sure why, I guess that Dodge buys the parts from MB and simply marks them up yet again.

Sorry but I have to correct you here, the <PBT - GF30> is NOT a part number but a recycling reference to the material the body of the MAF sensor is made from.

From WiKi "Polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) is a thermoplastic engineering polymer..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybutylene_terephthalate

and GF30 means it is 30% Glass Filled (reinforced).

Keith.

Hi Keith,
0281 002 89
Thanks for the help! I looked at it again and around that PBT-GF 30

It reads

a 000 094 32 48
LM 6002
Underneath the date it was made in germany
The number is

So is the part number the
A 000 094 32 48 ?

lindenengineering

Hi Keith,
0281 002 89
Thanks for the help! I looked at it again and around that PBT-GF 30

It reads

a 000 094 32 48
LM 6002
Underneath the date it was made in germany
The number is

So is the part number the
A 000 094 32 48 ?

Most iikely! Check this against the VIn# with your local dealer.
Dennis

I agree with Dennis. Not that he needs my support.

This job needs thorough interrogation,
Dennis
Mechanic
Too many times Air Mass DTC's lead to blaming the Mass Air Flow sensor proper. The codes are air mass. MAF has air mass right in the description so that must be the problem, right? Wrong. There are many sensors involved in the air mass calculations and monitoring.

Go back and reread this entire thread. Depending on the scan tool that gave you the code the DTC information and cryptic label your information could be vague at best.

The air mass is a calculated value which is monitored for expected range as to present engine operating conditions by using many of your sensors. The MAF sensor is but one piece of that. Off the top of my little pointy head problems with the boost pressure sensor, boost air temperature sensor, O2 sensor, EGR, and a few I know I'm leaving out can also contribute to a Air Mass related DTC. Sorry I can't offer more. vic
As always, clicking on the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.

You would expect a dealership with proper training and MB/Sprinter tools to avoid that trap, but posts on this forum show that even they aren't immune from misdiagnosing.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom