Hengst Fuel Filters?

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
Has anyone had negative results using Hengst Fuel filters? Approximately a month ago, I changed my filter with one I got from EuroParts. I ordered and rec'd a Hengst which was OEM. Since then, I have been having starting problems where it takes a longer cranking time. The filter that was in the vehicle was a Mercedes filter as it had the star on it. The fuel hose from the tank had a worm gear clamp on it that I replaced with a fuel injection type. I noticed some fuel puddling on top of the Hengst filter so I removed the hoses and cut them back slightly and replaced the clamps again. When I changed the filter, I used new o rings for the water sensor. Today I did the new clamps and cleaned and absorbed the fuel. I am still getting a longer than normal crank time. This vehicle used to start with just a hit of the key. I ran the engine today, shut it off, and restarted in 15 seconds. It started right up. So I am wondering if the fuel filter is the problem and if I need to get a filter from Mercedes. I may have some seepage at the water sensor; will know tomorrow for sure.

surlyoldbill

You might have air leaks, I never got a filter right the first time. Since you have a 2005, waiting a few seconds longer than for the glow plug dash light to go out would pump the fuel to displace the air in the lines, and then it should start right up. Count to 5 after the GP light goes out and see how it does.

My experience with my 2004 and 2006 is that any time air gets into the system it will lengthen my crank cycle for a period of time.

I believe that is normal after air gets into the system. Even in small amounts.

Each time that I change the fuel filter, or have for some reason let air into the fuel system, I notice my 2004 and 2006 take just a 1/2 crank longer to catch for a day or so.

My theory is that little air pockets get trapped in the fuel rail or other high pressure components. Air compresses so rail pressure takes that split second longer to build up. In time the air gets purged and my normal crank time returns.

Thanks for the follow-up. :thumbup:

vic
When you changed the filter, air got into the system.

It is possible that if fuel was leaking out and pooling on the filter, air was getting in while the system was off line.

You just opened the system to cut and reconnect the fuel hoses (air in again).

I don't recall complaints that the Europarts SD supplied filters have been problematic. (I use them.)

Now that the system is buttoned back up it may be worthwhile to give a little wait and see.

Opinions, not a diagnosis.

vic

Last edited:

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
The fuel hose from the tank had a worm gear clamp on it that I replaced with a fuel injection type. I noticed some fuel puddling on top of the Hengst filter
Sounds like your fuel hose clamps may be just a tad bit too large. If they were previously leaking fluid, and they are nonadjustable, it is likely they are still causing a problem. You could add a worm gear hose clamp behind it for extra measure if they fit. I have worm gear clamps on the filter and they work just fine. I think they even have an mb part # on them. I've been using the hengst oem filter from europarts and it works just fine.

As it was a month ago, it is unlikely there is still air in the system from the filter change imo - the sprinter removes air from the fuel system during operation afaik. That is why the manual tells you to turn the key and wait, then repeat, to prime the filter. Any air in the hp side will eventually make its way out.

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
Europarts recommends to use #15 and 13 size clamps. I used #14 and 12 clamps so I do not think they are too large but I did give that a thought. I will try the "wait and see" option as well as the "5 seconds" option. Thanks

As it was a month ago, it is unlikely there is still air in the system from the filter change imo - the sprinter removes air from the fuel system during operation afaik. ...
Not if the problem was recurring.

It is possible that if fuel was leaking out and pooling on the filter, air was getting in while the system was off line.

You just opened the system to cut and reconnect the fuel hoses (air in again).

vic

A too small hose clamp can cause the hose to buckle and leak.
:thumbup:

It needs to be just right.

The three bears comes to mind.

"Ahhh, this porridge is just right,"

vic

P.S. - Some worm drive clamps do have a smooth inner bearing surface. Others have a clip protruding which can distort the hose and cause leaks. OM647 owners with in tank pressure pump may get away with using typical generic worm drive clamps. OM612 owners with the suck pump system would be wise to avoid them.

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
Update:

I ordered a set of the fuel injection hoses from Europarts. I asked if they had any problems with the Hengst filters and was told may be or two. I had fuel puddling at the top. I changed 2 hoses which was the output of the filter and I changed the longer one at the input of the filter. I noticed the filter I changed a month ago did not have the plastic hose stops at the fittings not the plastic band around the mounting section of the filter. I also changed the 2 o rings on the water sensor. The starting problem when cold has gone bye bye. The van starts right up as soon as the glow plug light goes off and I do not have to touch the fuel pedal. I will still have to see if I have a long crank when hot.

I might add the Justin at Europarts sent me a replacement filter no charge. I also used their hose clamps. I know I will not know for sure what the exact problem was because I did two things at once but I am leaning toward the filter as the source of the problem.

trsfa

I'm having same issue w a Wix fuel filter. Re-used the existing o-rings (none provided w Wix) and hose clamps (slotted type). Put a new upper o-ring on water sensor, still leaks. Will look for smooth clamps.

Any other suggestions?
2004 T1N

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I had a Sprinter owner with fuel seepage at top of the filter show up at my shop a few weeks back.

It was a Hengst filter that was installed by that owner a few days before, using the included o-rings.

Upon removal and inspection I discovered the water sensor was a unusually 'loose' fit in the filter opening.

I replaced the o-rings with a set from my filter stock and not satisfied with the repeat 'loose' fit, replaced the entire filter.

I suspect improper tolerance of the stamped steel bore for the sensor.

First time I have seen that issue with a Hengst filter. Bad batch or counterfeit?

Doktor A

trsfa

I did not replace the lower o-ring. The new upper o-ring created a nice snug fit, I believe it was a size '11'. As per my micrometer, it was just a tad wider than the old one. Still leaked.

Could the lower o-ring be causing the leak?

trsfa

I picked up a OEM filter with o-rings from the dealership. I will mic the opening of the Wix and OEM filter to see if there is any difference. The seal seems tight w the #11 o-ring on the Wix. I will also change the hose clamps.

With the exception of the leak, the van runs smooth, ramps up to speed, and starts with first starter bump.

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
I had a problem with the Hengst filter with it leaking at the top. Europarts replaced it no charge. I also replaced the clamps with the recommended clamps they sold, and changed the hose. I did multiple things at once but my problem was solved. So I really do not know for sure what the exact problem was but I suspect it was the clamps and hose.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I had a problem with the Hengst filter with it leaking at the top. Europarts replaced it no charge.
Do you recall if the water sensor with the new o-rings (lubricated) was a fairly tight interference fit in the filter's bore?

Ideally you should have to place the filter on the floor and use both hands to press down hard on the sensor to seat it.

Doktor A

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
The water sensor was tough to install. I was afraid it would break. I did not have to put the filter on the floor but it did take some effort to get it in. See post #19. I did use different clamps.

Last edited:

Top Bottom