Low beam out on both sides

Teitur

I have a Sprinter 2005 - 313 Europe version.

Both low beams are out, but the fuses are ok.
Is there a relay in the car that might be broken?

To the best of my knowledge all other lights in the car are working just fine, including the high beam.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
As Keith wrote, many of us (including me) have had both bulbs blow at once

The old mechanic's explanation is that the current pulse of the blowing bulb takes out the (equally aged and thus weak) second bulb.

--dick

Teitur

sorry I forgot to mention, I changed both bulbs, one was burned out, the other looked fine, changed it anyways.

Have you checked ALL of the fuses both under the steering column and under the seat? The MB fuse maps/lists/labels are at times notoriously incomplete.

Failing that being the problem, there are may be headlamp relays located under the seat (with DRL).

vic

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Do you have daytime running lights?

If you DO, there's a relay involved in the low beam circuits. (choosing between "On" and "on-if-running")

If you do NOT have DRL, the headlamps are powered through switches and multiple fuses (in series), but no relays are involved.

--dick

glasseye

Just happened to me again. Both low beams failed within 24 hrs. Replaced as a pair 12K miles ago.

If you do NOT have DRL, the headlamps are powered through switches and multiple fuses (in series), but no relays are involved.

--dick
You learn something new every day.

My fairly well optioned 2006 passenger 2500 has fewer gray relays than my more basic 2004 cargo 2500. DRL's 2004. No DRL's 2006.

2004Fuse#2.jpg

2006Fuse#2.jpg

Just happened to me again. Both low beams failed within 24 hrs. Replaced as a pair 12K miles ago.
So the lesson is replace as needed and keep a spare? Otherwise the stage is set for similar service life on both sides.

vic

Teitur

I believe we found the problem.
When turning on the high beam, sometimes the low beam was kicking inn.
so we examined that a little more and it seems to be the lever that turns on the lights and turn signals.
odd it just seems to be broken for the low beam...

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I believe we found the problem.
When turning on the high beam, sometimes the low beam was kicking inn.
so we examined that a little more and it seems to be the lever that turns on the lights and turn signals.
odd it just seems to be broken for the low beam...
Teitur,

IIRC when I turn on the high beams in my 2004 the low beams stay on so not sure how this is causing your problem. I'll check mine and let you know.

Keith.

I dont have DRL, would love to have that. you know of a manual or something to fit it in?
I believe they are expensive to add using the OEM design/parts. Relays, harness cahnges, etc. are required.

Automatic DRL is required in Canada. I recall some threads about Canadians importing USA Sprinters and needing to add the DRL capability.

An advance T1N section search or Google using Canada and DRL may reveal some part numbers for aftermarket units.

This is a start.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26308

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"How to add DRL?"

Personally, i just remember to always turn on the headlights.
(after 40 years of doing so, it's pretty well ingrained)

But i still appreciate the Sprinter's beeper when i forget to turn them off .. :doh:

--dick

Teitur

Teitur,

IIRC when I turn on the high beams in my 2004 the low beams stay on so not sure how this is causing your problem. I'll check mine and let you know.

Keith.
You are right, both low and high beams turn on when I push the lever to get the high beam.
but still the low beam will not turn on until I push the lever to get the high beam.
very odd

Teitur

I believe they are expensive to add using the OEM design/parts. Relays, harness cahnges, etc. are required.

Automatic DRL is required in Canada. I recall some threads about Canadians importing USA Sprinters and needing to add the DRL capability.

An advance T1N section search or Google using Canada and DRL may reveal some part numbers for aftermarket units.

This is a start.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26308

vic
Thank you, I will give it a try.

Teitur

"How to add DRL?"

Personally, i just remember to always turn on the headlights.
(after 40 years of doing so, it's pretty well ingrained)

But i still appreciate the Sprinter's beeper when i forget to turn them off .. :doh:

--dick
I remember most of the time, but I drive 3 different cars that all have DRL.
Everyone else that drive this car forget to turn on the lights (or dont know it does not have DRL).

Top Bottom