Help! Sprinter rear heating blower runs while car is off

So the rear heating vent on the floor of my 2007 dodge sprinter 2500 is still running while the ignition is off. The car battery died. Besides taking out the number 16 fuse what is my next step? after taking out the fuse i tried to jump the van but it will not work but the heating on the floor started blowing again. i am unable to jump the van. Thanks so much in advance. Clueless in NY

Last edited:

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
Re: Help! Sprinter heating blower runs while car is off

If you have the option, it's supposed to do that...REST heat...

Oh it killed the battery. Supposed to turn off after 30 min...not too sure on the NCV3 can the relay stick on, anybody?

Last edited:

thanks for the reply. The car is unable to jump the dashboard lights are on but a quick start is not working. Is the battery totally dead. would the battery completely die? the battery is only 3 years old. any suggestions. underneath the car i took out the wire that is underneath the heating system.

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA

Ok, when nobody is answering, best thing is to do searches here on the website like "van wont start" to get some ideas...and I have the 2005 which is pretty different but here goes...

What happens when you turn the key? Nothing? Lights? Do you hear any clicks? Its possible it killed your battery for good, but usually 3 years would be commercial use like me, do you have any tools? Do you have a battery charger so you can do some testing? Multimeter?

The sprinters have multiple modules and fuses and relays that could be involved here. Taking out a fuse I would not do...had a mechanic friend take out a fuse he thought was a "spare" once and I had a "start error" he didn't mention it for a couple hours and I was ready to tow it to a MB dealer lol it was for the Skreem module

From the limited info you posted I could see the fan being on killing a really weak battery but you should get signs of life with a boost so we need more info

Last edited:

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA

If you want a good place to start, can you test the battery? I have a cheap load tester, but you can take it to an Autozone or something to test, unfortunately it should be charged first, that's where a battery charger comes in handy, and the automatic ones will also say if there's a battery problem. There's been a bunch of no start threads this year on here. I don't want to give you a million things, start with the battery and you can move on to things like relays and the battery/starter cable on the 2007 up that go bad

Last edited:

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA

As for the fan being on, I know my 2005 has a button on the dash called REST, pushing it will cause the blower to run on low and coolant pump to run for 30 minutes. It is controlled by the ATC module in the center console, and various problems cause this system to malfunction. But I don't have a 2007 so I'm hoping somebody with one will chime in

Thanks for the replies. 24/7 roadside assistance jumped the car I drove 30 minutes afterwards. I exited the car and 2 hours later tried to start it and battery/alternator came on for one second and car died. I do have rest and it was red when I started the car.

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA

My absolute guess would be weak battery. Try and get it load tested

REST on all the time would mean an early death for the battery
There is a relay on the ATC board but its pretty involved to get to, see if there's any easy things you can do first (like turn it off, it doesnt look like a button but it is...the red light should turn off when you press that half circle black plastic)
Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My absolute guess would be weak battery. Try and get it load tested

REST on all the time would mean an early death for the battery
There is a relay on the ATC board but its pretty involved to get to, see if there's any easy things you can do first (like turn it off, it doesnt look like a button but it is...the red light should turn off when you press that half circle black plastic)

Battery was dead I replaced It new question

Alternator: I Replaced battery when measuring the voltage at battery terminals with car running it measured 13.7 volts is that too low? should it be 14.7 which is a standard reading?

Where is the Location of the relay for the rear blower. With new battery in the rear heat on floor does not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
Fully new, my alt puts out between 13.8 and 14.2, its controlled by ECU and shouldn't be messed with until it falls under about 13.2 IMO. The diodes gradually fail and output gets weaker. It is also temperature compensated via a battery temp sensor

Ok REAR heat? Do you have a passenger van?

Last edited:

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
I skimmed the article, page 1 suggests the rear blower relays are in the compartment with the blower and can corrode

Keep in mind I've only worked on 2006 and older...you may need to ask for help from an NCV3 (2007+) owner, lots of changes that year!

Last edited:
Fully new, my alt puts out between 13.8 and 14.2, its controlled by ECU and shouldn't be messed with until it falls under about 13.2 IMO. The diodes gradually fail and output gets weaker. It is also temperature compensated via a battery temp sensor

Ok REAR heat? Do you have a passenger van?

Yes passenger van

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom