Door speaker pods

Paul_E_D

Ok. These cam out pretty nicely and really improved my sound, so here goes.

I already replaced my head unit with a pioneer, das spealers wit jbl 4" component, 6x9 speaker boxes in the back, and an alpine self powered sub under rhe seat. This was pretty good and sounded great when camped, but inder way the mids and highs were getting lost to road noise.

I already dyna matted so i realized the 4 inch fromts were holding the system back.

A buddy of mine was just starting his system, and found a good deal on some polk 6.5s and i decided to put them in the front doors and remove the 4s.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

After a few cardboard mockups we decides on the teardop shape made of mdf. Glued a few layers to get a 2" depth and had a buddy cnc cut them.

We got the textured vinyl at joanns fabrics and used spray adhesive and staples the stretch it on the pods.

Since we had a decent volume, we only cut a small hole on the door panel for wiring creating a nearly sealed box.

bcman

I made some pods for 6.5" door speakers, and I originally mounted them with just a small hole in the trim panel to run the wires. The next time I had the trim panels off, I opened the hole to ~5" diameter, and I noticed a big difference in bass response.

Randal

I made some pods for 6.5" door speakers, and I originally mounted them with just a small hole in the trim panel to run the wires. The next time I had the trim panels off, I opened the hole to ~5" diameter, and I noticed a big difference in bass response.

I'm also very curious about this, when we were making these speaker pods (I'm the guy stretching the vinyl in the pic lol) I had a few friends into audio that told me if I can make it a decent size to make it hollow and leave it sealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcman

Interesting. How much volume was there in your pods?

59.2 cubic inches :) I 3D printed my speaker pods to fit a set of Kicker 6-3/4" speakers.

I recently asked a former Pioneer engineer about this. He said that most full-range speakers are designed to use the whole door cavity's volume.

59.2 cubic inches :) I 3D printed my speaker pods to fit a set of Kicker 6-3/4" speakers.

I recently asked a former Pioneer engineer about this. He said that most full-range speakers are designed to use the whole door cavity's volume.
Hey could I get the file to 3D print these?

marklg

Hey could I get the file to 3D print these?
The original design would also be appreciated. The previous owner installed similar pods but installed them too close to trim and had to cut them, leaving an opening in the rear which kills the bass as it effectively leaves no enclosed volume behind. I'd like to modify your design to fit and make them. Otherwise, I will design my own.

Regards,

Mark

bcman

Okay thanks so much! Really appreciate it. How does it work?
Keston, I sent you a PM. I'd say they've worked well. I attached them to the plastic door trim panels with some wood screws (threaded into the 3D-printed part). I also sealed both ends of the pods with foam rubber strips, and cut a ~5" diameter hole in the trim panel to open up the back of the speaker to the door cavity. I recommend mounting them high enough that you can still access the pockets in the trim panel below.
Here's the speakers I designed them for: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DSC6704/Kicker-43DSC6704.html

Top Bottom