Help With Diagnosis O2 Sensor Heater

edj

Few weeks ago my check engine light came on. Engine seems to be running okay.
To diagnose what was going on I purchased an Autel MaxiDiag Elite. I'm getting these codes for O2 sensor heater
2195 -2 short circuit to ground
2195–4 open circuit
2195 – 8 thermal overload of control module 894 (CDI control module)
Also these:
2030 -1 The signal from B142 (intake pressure sensor) is faulty. The signal voltage is too high
2030-2 The signal from component B142 (intake pressure sensor) is faulty. The signal voltage is too low.
2030-4 The signal from component B142 is faulty. Open circuit.
2030-8 The signal from component B142 is faulty Cable has open circuit

I was thinking I need to check wiring of sensor heater but could use a picture or diagram showing me where it is. :thinking:

Any help is greatly appreciated.
:thumbup:
Ed

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Full 2006 (close enough) service manual available here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/2006-VA-SM.pdf

The next-to-last subsection of section 8W is a "where the connectors are located" map.

The O2 sensor itself is a little gadget stuck into the side of the exhaust pipe as it's going past the engine (i.e. after the turbo) on its way to the cat and muffler.
It's under that aluminum heat shield. Here's a drawing from one of Vic's training manual scans:

105OxygenSensor.jpg

Your combination of faults also suggests possible wiring harness damage

--dick

edj

Thank you Vic and Dick!!

I easily found the Sensor with the photo and diagram provided.

Two questions:

1) I need to buy a wrench to unscrew the Sensor. Looks like it needs a 22mm. Sound right?

2) Any tips for removing the sensor. It's a bit tight to a wrench in there and the sensor seems pretty snug. Maybe some PB Blaster first??

I will probably go for replacement with the Bosch part that includes a new harness. Seems the most efficient and I'm not that sharp doing electrical testing. (Though I have a friend, if he's available, who's a whiz.)

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
I pulled that sensor using a strong map torch, u could try driving like hell to get the pipe hot but localized heat will do the trick , hotter and is faster. My map torch will cherry steel if I wait long enough. Btw, if memory serves a deep socket of the correct dimension will pull the plug if you don't care about destroying it, I think I just used an open ended wrench to install the new one (which was a quasi generic that needed me to fab new connections from its wiring to the sprinters wiring harness plug, has worked for years though and inexpensive).

edj

I replaced the sensor today with a new OEM Bosch sensor and harness. All seems well now. I think there is a noticeable difference in performance - feels smoother.
Was pretty easy to get out the old one. PB Blaster and using an offset socket with a breaker bar worked.
Cost about $140 for new sensor from Amazon and special socket. My Sprinter has been almost troublefree for the two years and 20,000 miles I've owned her so I didn't mind spending the cash for the new sensor with harness rather than a less expensive fix.

Top Bottom