Jacked Up Transmission Crossmember, Literally

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
My recently purchased 158" had its previous service performed by what must have been a genius. He, or she, countless times jacked it up by the transmission crossmember. This caused not only the crossmember to get chewed up, but also bent and twisted it. https://1994roadtrek210.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/capture_2017-04-15-23-14-07.png?w=648 Likewise, another serious problem created by this shortsightedness was the fact the the transmission and driveshaft got pushed up into the floorboard of the van.

I managed to take the crossmember off and beat it back to a somewhat better position (my universal joint right after the transmission now has more than an inch of clearance from the seamed rib in the floorboard, which it previously used to hit on occasion making an awful racket like a hammer pounding on the floorboard).

Nevertheless my carrier bearing further down the driveshaft does not sit perpendicular (as I'm guessing it should) to the vans floor, but at an angle (I presume from having the driveshaft pushed up near the crossmember). https://1994roadtrek210.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/carrier-bearing1.jpg?w=648

Can anyone confirm this for me? That indeed the carrier bearing should be perpendicular, and not slightly angle with the bottom of it leaning towards the front of the van? Likewise, does anyone know the distance between the top of the first universal joint on the driveshaft out of the transmission when its joint is at one of its tallest of four points, and the seam of the floorboard? ...I think I may need to pound out the crossmember a bit more, or buy another if I can find it at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
Would you share photos.
Sorry Bob, I published the text just before uploading the links for the photos. Hopefully they help explain further what I'm trying to articulate.

Part of the reason for my concern is that I have a nasty howl coming from the rear of my van. I'm not sure if its the carrier bearing or pinion and ring gear or the pinion bearing, or a combination of them all. I do know the howl is greatest under load, and that it gets louder the fast I go. This leads me to believe it may be in the differential. I did change the fluid, and the oil that came out resembled Hershey's chocolate syrup. Nevertheless my howl remains.

Last edited:

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
How are the driveshaft carrier bearings? I think they can howl too. I also don't remember the rear shaft slipping out that far...not to say the rearend is ok, but maybe a good driveshaft shop check is in order before you start tearing your hair out (or even a collision shop)

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

How many miiles? You describe cross member damage, rear end noise, 12-years old. Hum...check rear-end fluid and reputatable Drive shaft shop evaluation with computer balancing capability.

Last edited by a moderator:

My recently purchased 158" had its previous service performed by what must have been a genius. He, or she, countless times jacked it up by the transmission crossmember. ...
If only they woulda jacked it up by the differential. You wouldn't need to deal with this. :tongue:

I don't have much for you.

Howling.

I have noticed that when I get the "right" combination of passengers in my 2006 (or is that the "wrong" combination), the driveline likes to howl a bit. It is odd that when the van is loaded with gear and towing my sailboat the howl never presents. I would expect the deflection/angle on the drive train to be similar at those times. I've checked things over and not found any problems.

I'm going to keep an eye and an ear on things, but at this point I'm thinking that it may just be the nature of the beast. My worry is that it may be trying to tell me something. I guess time will tell.

vic

lindenengineering

My recently purchased 158" had its previous service performed by what must have been a genius. He, or she, countless times jacked it up by the transmission crossmember. This caused not only the crossmember to get chewed up, but also bent and twisted it. https://1994roadtrek210.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/capture_2017-04-15-23-14-07.png?w=648 Likewise, another serious problem created by this shortsightedness was the fact the the transmission and driveshaft got pushed up into the floorboard of the van.

I managed to take the crossmember off and beat it back to a somewhat better position (my universal joint right after the transmission now has more than an inch of clearance from the seamed rib in the floorboard, which it previously used to hit on occasion making an awful racket like a hammer pounding on the floorboard).

Nevertheless my carrier bearing further down the driveshaft does not sit perpendicular (as I'm guessing it should) to the vans floor, but at an angle (I presume from having the driveshaft pushed up near the crossmember). https://1994roadtrek210.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/carrier-bearing1.jpg?w=648

Can anyone confirm this for me? That indeed the carrier bearing should be perpendicular, and not slightly angle with the bottom of it leaning towards the front of the van? Likewise, does anyone know the distance between the top of the first universal joint on the driveshaft out of the transmission when its joint is at one of its tallest of four points, and the seam of the floorboard? ...I think I may need to pound out the crossmember a bit more, or buy another if I can find it at a reasonable price.
You will need to replace the x member for starters its about $175!
I would include the rear mount under the transmission tail housing which you can obtain from O Reilly's for about $40..
I see this X member twisted quite often when doing a PM exercise !
Its is often caused by backing over something and getting caught up on flange flitches.
Dennis

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
Can anyone who has a transmission cross member support bracket that's not been used as a jacking point and gotten bent and twisted like mine pull the following measurement for me? I'm trying to determine how much space there is between one of the four outer edges of the U-joint and the floorboard seam right above the U-joint (as seen from my second photo link in the very first post of this thread).

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
Buying is not an option? I don't think its structural

If nobody answers I'll be under mine in a couple days and measure it for you

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
Buying is not an option? I don't think its structural

If nobody answers I'll be under mine in a couple days and measure it for you
I'm attempting to save the money and bend it back (I may already have it bent back enough, but that's what I'm trying to figure out). No, it's not structural in the sense of the mainframe, otherwise it might be alright to use as a jacking point. I have a friend a couple hours south of me who is trying to get freed up to go measure his, but it's been almost a week. I'm troubleshooting some rear end noises/vibrations and want to rule out driveshaft angularity errors as a possible cause.

I posted a response to his thread to see if we can work something out.

Last edited:

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
My friend measured the distance for me at his first U-joint. His has a 5" round plate, as does the Figure 9 on page 3-9 in the SM. Mine does not appear to have the 5" round plate where the shaft U-joint connects to the yoke.

Rickpcmp3

2005 158" Cargo FedEx
I just purchased a used cross member off fleeBay. Hopefully it resolves any driveshaft angularity issues, and the nasty high speed vibration; and perhaps through a miracle quiet down my differential noise. I'll report back if it does.

Top Bottom