Stuck in Guatemala City

tleenders

Strongbox Sprinter
Stuck in Guatemala City. My 2006 Dodge sprinter 3500 started making a rough engine noise going up a hill in second gear. The incline was very long and the engine did show an increased temperature just above the line between the 180 and 250 degrees. The rumble and clacking noise made me stop and call a flatbed tow truck to drop us a Mercedes shop in town. Who did pressure test and replaced the oil.
The noise did not improve. So we will check further on Monday after the Easter holiday.
I have to add that the last few weeks if have been losing coolants. About 1/2 liter after a days drive. It appears that i have a leak when the engine is hot but I cannot find the leak.we tried with a pressure pump but unless the engine is hot I don't expect to loose pressure.
My question is what should I look for? The cylinder 1 and 5 had about 10 bars the rest 18,37 bar. The mechanic (a German trained Mercedes second generation shop owner) thinks it is a broken piston ring.
On Monday we will dive into this again. Parts seem to be no problems for the 5 cylinder 2.7 liters. We are at 127,000 miles. Did a synthetic oil,filter change 2000 miles ago. I must say that the oil looked very thin and I did not feel a lot of viscosity.it also looked that I lost about 1 liter since the last change. Any help and input would be appreciated. Thanks Thijs

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Re: Knocking Engine noise

A broken piston ring would not lose coolant ... that sounds more like a cracked head gasket or warped head.
(that said, coolant getting into the cylinder could cause damage leading to the cracked ring (or worse... scored cylinder)).

For the cylinders at opposite ends of the engine to both have low compression is strange (i would think adjacent cylinders would be far more common if it's a warped head/bad gasket))

The "thin oil" could just be the oil you used (was it Mobil 0-40? Some other brand 5-30? Or a "straight weight" 30?) The first number is the "cold" viscosity, which makes Mobil 1 almost as runny as kerosene/diesel. Does it smell like oil or diesel?

good luck
--dick

Top Bottom