PDA

View Full Version : Oil and DEF for new 2016 Sprinter

woodywesty
04-10-2017, 05:03 PM
I have a new 2016 3500 Sprinter based camper and am on our second trip in the camper. On our way south at approximately 2,600 miles the DEF warning light came on. I thought that the stuff would last longer but apparently not. Added a container and all is well. Now, one day later at 2,800 miles the engine oil warning light came on stating that "Engine oil level Not when eng. running", I can handle the awful translation from german to english but WTF... I'm low on oil on a new vehicle at 2,800 miles?? Also the manual only refers to oil specs, not specifics. Any recommendations on brand, type etc? Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Bob

futureshock
04-10-2017, 05:49 PM
That may just be a benign message on the display that your thumb flipped over to by mistake?

woodywesty
04-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Humm, I have a lot to learn about the new Sprinter... better read the manual some more.
Thanks, Bob

Aqua Puttana
04-10-2017, 06:08 PM
You don't mention V6 or I4 engine.

Regardless, any MB229.52 oil can be used for a 1 quart top off.
Some commonly available N. American choices.

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 or 0w-30

Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w-30

Valvoline SynPower B-Tec C3 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower ES 52 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower MST C3 5W-30
Valvoline VPS C3 5W-30 Synthetic 5w-30

Check the oil level with the dipstick. Red handle = hot check, yellow = cold.

:cheers: vic

Added:
I agree that it sounds like you triggered the oil level check feature while the engine was running.
P.S. - The general consensus on this forum is that it is best to keep the DEF topped off as opposed to waiting for the DEF level prompt for filling.

woodywesty
04-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Thanks Vic,

I checked the oil level about 10 minutes after I shut it off and again a half hour later. Both times the level was about 3/4 up between low and full. Oil looked pretty clean as well. I'm going to see if there is a clear explanation of all the steering wheel buttons, their function and do's and dont's in the manual. The fancy steering wheel came with the new 6 cylinder engine. If I don't need to use the buttons then I won't. I'm old, cranky and hate electronic gizzmo's. Just something else to cause problems. I'm firmly stuck back in the mechanical/analog age. ;-)

Also, I'll look for your oil recommendations. Shouldn't have any problem finding them. The DEF is a suprise though. Looks like I'll have to add one of those 2-1/2 gallon containers every 2000 miles or so. I'll be curious to hear from other owners about their fill frequencies.

Bob

Dave D
04-10-2017, 06:59 PM
The others are correct, you flipped to the check oil level screen while running the engine, and it's telling you that it's just telling you can't check with the engine running. I have a 2016 also, and still can't figure out how to quickly switch between displays without trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobnoxious
04-10-2017, 07:39 PM
I have a new 2016 3500 Sprinter based camper and am on our second trip in the camper. On our way south at approximately 2,600 miles the DEF warning light came on. I thought that the stuff would last longer but apparently not. Added a container and all is well. Now, one day later at 2,800 miles the engine oil warning light came on stating that "Engine oil level Not when eng. running", I can handle the awful translation from german to english but WTF... I'm low on oil on a new vehicle at 2,800 miles?? Also the manual only refers to oil specs, not specifics. Any recommendations on brand, type etc? Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Bob

Here's more info on DEF.

Comments have been made that DEF searches don't reveal much. I have found that when using key words of only 3 letters (eg. acronyms) the advanced search seems to work best.

Anyway. This sticky should help those looking for DEF information.

First my opinion as a parrot of the forum.

Any good quality DEF is fine. Diesel Exhaust Fluid is a standard commodity chemical.

Be very careful not to spill the DEF when filling. DEF is extremely corrosive and loves to eat copper. If unable to neatly clean an area, flush any spills with copious amounts of water. Not all DEF jugs are created equal when it comes to the spout/fill design. Some members like the convenience of the bulk dispensed product found at truck plazas.

Based upon experience, some members recommend not waiting for the DEF level warning light. Apparently the DEF monitor system is finicky and low level can trigger misadventures. DEF does have a shelf life. Those same members feel that it is better to keep topped up than to worry about the fluid aging.

Some links.

Interesting AdBlue event
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48399

When to add DEF
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40367

DEF light ON even though reservoir is full
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16560

:cheers: vic

woodywesty
04-11-2017, 03:00 AM
The others are correct, you flipped to the check oil level screen while running the engine, and it's telling you that it's just telling you can't check with the engine running. I have a 2016 also, and still can't figure out how to quickly switch between displays without trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave, I'm glad I'm not alone! ;-)
Bob

woodywesty
04-11-2017, 03:03 AM
Here's more info on DEF.

Thank you Bob for digging the info out for me. This forum and the folks on it are great!
Bob

irvingj
04-11-2017, 10:16 AM
I went through the same thing with the steering wheel buttons and display menu... You CAN have the computer check the oil, but only after the vehicle has sat for quite a while. Seems like it was a few hours, IIRC. Try turning the key on --but not starting the engine-- first thing in the morning; you should get the "OIL OK" message when you get to that point in the menu.

Same thing with the TPS (tire pressure), except that won't register until after you've been driving for a few minutes.

My OM642 seems to get about 1700-1800 miles per gallon on the DEF, but it does depend on how hard you push it. More fuel usage = more DEF usage. I usually carry some with me when on a trip and add after a thousand miles or so, then when I get home (and it's likely to sit for a while) fill it up right to the top of the filler neck.

As others will suggest, you might want to invest in a Scangauge thing to mount in your Sprinter. It's not a super sophisticated diagnostic tool, but it can constantly display a number of parameters read directly from the engine computer -- such as water temp, so you don't have to scroll through that menu to see that.

I recently put one in our RT SS Agile, and it paid for itself on our spring trip to AZ a few weeks ago: got the dreaded Check Engine Light, then used the Scangauge to check for codes. Found one, and though it was somewhat generic, it led to the suspicion, thanks to a smart phone and Googling the code, that the DEF tank might have developed a vacuum due to very heavy acceleration on my part. (An 18-wheler was bearing down on me as I entered a divided highway, and he couldn't move over because he was being passed by some cars, so I really had to tromp on the go-pedal....)

Pulled over later, cracked open the cap on the DEF tank, and air whooshed in -- a LOT of air. Seems the air vent on the tank couldn't keep up with the heavy demand I placed on it, as far as I can tell. In any case, used the Scangauge to clear the code, and all was well after that. Imagine what that would have cost, had I been forced to go --most likely WAY out of my way-- to a Mercedes dealer and have them hook it up to their computer!

My mount is still "temporary," but I may leave it there; it works, I can read it, and all I used was a couple of "velcro" patches to hold it there. A good investment, IMHO.

FFred
04-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Which model of the scangauge did you install?

irvingj
04-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Called the ScanGauge II. Believe I got it from Amazon.