18inch wheels. Dangerous? Risky?

caseylentz

03 2500 SHC passenger. Purchased with 18's running 255 55/18 109 . I know this tire should not be on the van since it doesn't comply with the weight rating. It's time to replace the tires and I'm wondering if sticking with a 18 specifically 265/60 18 Cooper H/T plus is dangerous. I've don't a bit of modification to the front bumper to reduce rub . I'm still hearing a rub which is a bit scary to me because I worry about passenger safety. Should I be worried ? Should I switch to the OEM 16 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arnie_Oli

I would go back to a tried and tested and properly load tested tyre if it was me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.

:idunno:

Have you weighed your rig at a truck scale? Do you carry many passengers or otherwise have heavy loads in your Sprinter?

Do you like alloy wheels, or did it just happen to come with them?

I see the wheels have the MB Star. Are they built for the Sprinter or were they somehow modified?

Why the intended change from the present size 18" tires?

Based on little information...
If alloy wheels aren't a big deal to you and you often load the Sprinter or tow, I would go back to stock tires and steel wheels. The alloy wheels should have some resale value on the used market.

vic

sepudo

I've don't a bit of modification to the front bumper to reduce rub . I'm still hearing a rub which is a bit scary to me because I worry about passenger safety.

what specifically have you done to reduce rub? when do you still hear rub (when turning left/right, when exiting driveways, going offroading, etc)?
Do you have a image of how the rears sit?

Your current 18's look like they came from a G wagon SUV which is perfectly rated for a sprinter.

caseylentz

:idunno:

Have you weighed your rig at a truck scale? Do you carry many passengers or otherwise have heavy loads in your Sprinter?

Do you like alloy wheels, or did it just happen to come with them?

I see the wheels have the MB Star. Are they built for the Sprinter or were they somehow modified?

Why the intended change from the present size 18" tires?

Based on little information...
If alloy wheels aren't a big deal to you and you often load the Sprinter or tow, I would go back to stock tires and steel wheels. The alloy wheels should have some resale value on the used market.

vic

I haven't weighed the van but it weighs 8500 lbs . I'm just getting started with this van , I've only had it for 3months now but the intended purpose it to pack as many people in as possible with gear, bikes, skis, climbing gear. This might happen every few months with friends but the majority of the time will be wife, dog, and I with a minimal setup for camping and storing our bikes , climbing gear, kayaks.

Yes the wheels that are on it currently ( the 18s ) came with the sale of the van. I'm thinking they came off a MB SUV of some kind.

I'm not sure if I should change them which is the whole topic. The OEM wheels are 16inch wheels with tires that are E rates (ten ply) for the vehicles intended weight and max loads. I'm wondering if the 18's and the larger tires which are not E rated are a safety issue.

I'm currently hearing rubbing from the tires but need to confirm where the rub is coming from.

... I've only had it for 3 months now but the intended purpose it to pack as many people in as possible with gear, bikes, skis, climbing gear. This might happen every few months ...
If it happens at all I believe that you have answered the question.

:cheers: vic

caseylentz

what specifically have you done to reduce rub? when do you still hear rub (when turning left/right, when exiting driveways, going offroading, etc)?

Do you have a image of how the rears sit?

Your current 18's look like they came from a G wagon SUV which is perfectly rated for a sprinter.

What I've done to reduce rub is trim the front bumper on both sides so the front tires can clear the bumper when turning left/right. You can see this in the photos. I hear the rubbing when turning Left/right. I'm really concerned about clearance/rubbing especially hitting bumps at highway speeds. Here is a photo of the rear

caseylentz

Wanna trade for some stock Sprinter 16" alloy wheels? We will be in Oceanside CA 04/24/17.

Thanks,

Eddie

I hey Eddie I'm learning through my research that these 18s might do the trick. I'll keep you posted though if the 18s don't meet the safety requirements I'm looking for. Do you know how to tell if these wheels are from a G ?

From the article you found.

"You will be limited to 255x55x18' tires or they will interfere with the body work on the front fender when turning lock to lock."

"The wheels do not project past the side of the van. They are shod with 255x55x18 Continental tires. Tire Cost is around $200 each"

So it's just a matter of finding tires you like that meet the load and speed ratings. :thumbup:

The rims do look nice.

caseylentz

From the article you found.

"You will be limited to 255x55x18' tires or they will interfere with the body work on the front fender when turning lock to lock."

"The wheels do not project past the side of the van. They are shod with 255x55x18 Continental tires. Tire Cost is around $200 each"

So it's just a matter of finding tires you like that meet the load and speed ratings. :thumbup:

The rims do look nice.

I think that the load rating is going to be the issue . I can't seem to find 255/55/18s that are 10ply

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I have been running 18" wheels and 255/55/18 109s for the last few years. Medium Sprinter, long/tall Sprinter. Winter, summer, all road conditions, loaded down with 13 people in van, luggage, other heavy loads, pulling trailers, 4500# campers, towing broken down Sprinters, etc. Never a problem or issue.
It looks like you have Gwagon wheels.

caseylentz

I have been running 18" wheels and 255/55/18 109s for the last few years. Medium Sprinter, long/tall Sprinter. Winter, summer, all road conditions, loaded down with 13 people in van, luggage, other heavy loads, pulling trailers, 4500# campers, towing broken down Sprinters, etc. Never a problem or issue.
It looks like you have Gwagon wheels.

Thanks for the reply and giving me the confidence to move forward with keeping my current wheels!

caseylentz

Wanted to circle back and thank everyone for helping me out ! Thanks so much !!

D

Deleted member 50714

I would go back to a tried and tested and properly load tested tyre if it was me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.
:thumbup::thumbup:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. Are wheels the proper load rating?

Although a swap to 18" Mercedes G-Wagen wheels is popular, it is not clear whether these 18" wheels have the same load rating as Sprinter original wheels (and if not, whether owners are thus lowering their maximum weight).

There are several aftermarket 16", 17", and 18" wheels with load ratings for Sprinters. Have not seen any specific G-Wagen wheels which state load ratings which equal original load specs for Sprinter.

2. Are tires the proper load rating?

It appears that there are no 255/55/18 with the proper load rating.

If you go to a larger diameter size of 265/60/18, you can get at least two tires with the proper rating.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8963&highlight=265/60/18&page=3

The issue is whether the combination wheel (ET spec) and tire will require significant modification of wheel wells.

If correct specs, the BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2 seem to come in many different sizes with proper load ratings which may fit Sprinters.

Various confusing info which may be a result of
(a) 140" and 158" T1Ns to USA were lifted 1" or so to provide clearance for 16" wheels and 225/75/16 tires versus 118" T1Ns which had 15" wheels (applicable to all model years?),
(b) different replacement wheels may have had different offsets, and
(c) different weighted Sprinters may result in tire rub or not.

3. Alternatives--what is goal?

Better handling, looks, costs?

A. Can do a vehicle lift to provide room for bigger wheels/tires. Vancompass.com

B. Can do a cut and bodywork--create new fenders--poster here did that.

C. Switch to 17" wheels which offer more tire sizes with proper load ratings--may still require some cutting of bumper cover and fender.

Several aftermarket 17" wheels specifically for Sprinters.

D. Switch to original 16" wheels. May want to look at width of wheels which will affect what tire sizes will fit.

Can get cheap aftermarket $100 per alloy wheel in 16x6.5 or the original Sprinter alloy wheels in 16x6.5. The original Sprinter steel wheels are 16x6.

4. Caveat

There are some postings from Australia and Europe re the more stringent requirements for replacement wheels than the apparently more lax standards here in the USA.

Please post whatever you decide to do. Thanks.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Might also mention that Consumer Reports or other organizations urges caution re oversizing wheels and tires too much. Apparently, rather than skidding and sliding when ideal, vehicles with oversized wheels and tires may stick to road and cause vehicle to rollover in some conditions. What is the safety zone? 18" wheels with same tire diameter or one inch greater diameter and more width doesn't sound like much?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/plus-size-tires-when-more-is-less/index.htm

sepudo

It took some hunting and creative fine tuning on the fronts but I managed to get 265/60/18 load E AT tires on and I gotta say it's been great so far. Already took it through sand and offroad as well as hours commuting and the tires perform beyond expectations. Smooth freeway and traction forever through Pismo Beach.
I wanted falken wild peaks but settled with discover coppers and have not been disappointed.

Mpg dropped 2mpg

Top Bottom