Installing OEM window in cargo van - questions

jamf

I think I've exhausted my terms for searching the forum, apologies if this has been covered before.

I want to install a window directly behind the driver's seat. I bought OEM glass from someone who replaced theirs with a slider window, and ordered the gasket from dodgetruckparts.net (aka Berry Dodge). From searching this forum I understand that the steps will be:

-Cut out the window opening to the pinch weld without going further into the double width portion.
-File and repaint to prevent rust prevention.
-Fit gasket on window.
-Use a soapy piece of string or wire to pull the lip around the pinch.

I tried to get the gasket onto the window and was going to take it down to a collision shop to see what they'd charge to cut the whole and fit the window for me, but now I'm wondering if the gasket I got is defective. Are these supposed to be manufactured to have corners that line up with the window's corners, or are they just a ring that you pull onto the window any way you want? I can't tell where the corners are supposed to be, it kind of snakes around whenever I try and lay it down to line up with the window. I tried for a half hour to fit it on without getting too close, so I wanted to ask here before I accidentally deform the gasket any worse than I already may have.

I tried to find some videos of this type of window installation and I could only find it for classic cars. On those, it was very obvious how the gasket was supposed to line up with the window.

Related question: could this window be installed with adhesive instead of the gasket? Is there a benefit to doing it that way?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
This is a T1N, so the 2006 service manual's section on installing side-window glass may be helpful
(although i don't think it answers your direct question).
Available here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/2006-VA-SM.pdf

(added:) The service manual does not give any hints... it just says "put the gasket on the glass" before trying to install the pair into the metal.

I would expect the gasket corners to kind'a match the window's corners ...otherwise the inner (glass-side vs metal-side) flange would buckle at the corners... and where the corners of the gasket ended up along the straights, they'd buckle too.

WindowFixedCorner.jpg

(hmmm... squinting hard at the photo... the rubber does pull in at the corners, which is what i would expect a smooth loop of gasket to do. If the loop does not have pre-molded corners, that may be what happens.)

There are also (i'll look it up to make sure) 2 or 3 different sizes of window (hence gasket) that fit there... the passenger-side sliding door window is a slightly different size than the driver-side fixed window. And then there are the openable windows, which may be different (yet again).((added:they're not))
On my 118" Sprinter, the sliding door window has 39 and 5/8ths inches of exposed glass, but the fixed side has 41 and 3/8ths.
The part number i find for the fixed (driver's side wall) gasket is 05104246AA (MB: A 901 674 06 20)
The gasket for the sliding door is 05104364AA (MB: A 901 735 09 20)

Another thing to check: does the gasket have a wider metal-side slot than one sheet of metal will fill?
(i'm wondering if a factory-installed window includes an extra layer of sheet metal surrounding the hole (for stiffness))

--dick

Last edited:

jamf

Thanks for the information! I can't find a part number on my order so I'll try to confirm with the shop tomorrow.

I tried again to get the gasket on but I'll definitely need a few more hands to keep it from springing off.

The gap that fits the sheet metal appears to be about the thickness of 1 or 2 sheets, which should work with the pinch weld.

Attached some pics for reference. This is as window-shaped as I can get it to lie.

This is a T1N, so the 2006 service manual's section on installing side-window glass may be helpful
(although i don't think it answers your direct question).
Available here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/2006-VA-SM.pdf

(added:) The service manual does not give any hints... it just says "put the gasket on the glass" before trying to install the pair into the metal.

I would expect the gasket corners to kind'a match the window's corners ...otherwise the inner (glass-side vs metal-side) flange would buckle at the corners... and where the corners of the gasket ended up along the straights, they'd buckle too.

View attachment 84614

(hmmm... squinting hard at the photo... the rubber does pull in at the corners, which is what i would expect a smooth loop of gasket to do. If the loop does not have pre-molded corners, that may be what happens.)

There are also (i'll look it up to make sure) 2 or 3 different sizes of window (hence gasket) that fit there... the passenger-side sliding door window is a slightly different size than the driver-side fixed window. And then there are the openable windows, which may be different (yet again).((added:they're not))
On my 118" Sprinter, the sliding door window has 39 and 5/8ths inches of exposed glass, but the fixed side has 41 and 3/8ths.
The part number i find for the fixed (driver's side wall) gasket is 05104246AA (MB: A 901 674 06 20)
The gasket for the sliding door is 05104364AA (MB: A 901 735 09 20)

Another thing to check: does the gasket have a wider metal-side slot than one sheet of metal will fill?
(i'm wondering if a factory-installed window includes an extra layer of sheet metal surrounding the hole (for stiffness))

--dick

Attachments

thecoast1

If I recall, when I put mine in it didn't have any molded corners or anything.. I just put the seam of the gasket at the bottom middle and wrapped it on. Once you stuff it in there it goes on quite easily, so either you have the wrong part or haven't really gone at it. Putting the glass in however was a bit of a a challenge. Definitely need two people, and worth paying an experienced hand, I tore my gasket a bit the first time. Good luck!

jamf

If I recall, when I put mine in it didn't have any molded corners or anything.. I just put the seam of the gasket at the bottom middle and wrapped it on. Once you stuff it in there it goes on quite easily, so either you have the wrong part or haven't really gone at it. Putting the glass in however was a bit of a a challenge. Definitely need two people, and worth paying an experienced hand, I tore my gasket a bit the first time. Good luck!
Well I got it on the window, I wouldn't call it easy! Keeping it from popping off after getting the gasket on around a corner required some help. Does this look like yours?

Attachments

Top Bottom