PDA

View Full Version : Periodically Ignition Won't Start 2016-I4

Giver123
04-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Having a problem with the ignition in my new 2016, I4. I put the key in the ignition and turn all the way to the right to start but nothing happens. If I keep clicking on the last quarter turn it will not start but if I turn it all the way to the left in the position where I can remove the key and then turn it back to start position it will start. It doesn't do it all the time but it does do it enough to be very concerned wondering:thinking:

Has anyone seen this before? And if so what is it. I contacted my Mercedes-Benz service manager and he's never heard of it before but he wants me to bring the vehicle in.

I made a couple videos please review them and let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/RFs04kfZBdI

https://youtu.be/2Zr-Gfy8OBU

Thanks group!

ptheland
04-03-2017, 10:13 PM
In my 2013, if I put the key in and quickly turn it all the way to start, is sometimes refuses to start. I've gotten in the habit of turning two clicks (to position 2) and waiting for the glow plug indicator to turn off before starting.

I also get funky things happening when I put the key in and don't do anything for too long. Then I have to remove the key (according to my high line dash display, which you don't have) before trying again.

I suspect both of these are related to the various control units (aka computers!) needing a bit of time to initialize once the key is turned. Turn too quick and they haven't completed their initialization. Wait too long and it all locks up again as a security precaution.

PS - Whichever way is "up" when you start recording remains "up" for the duration of the recording. It doesn't really matter which side or end you put up - your phone can figure that out.

Bobnoxious
04-03-2017, 10:56 PM
Does it always start after turning the key completely to the left?

showkey
04-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Many of us have had the "click no crank" on the V6......... there are multiple posts and with list of the possible causes for the V6. The V6 probelm can be very intermittent when it first occurs. V6 probelm can also can occur at relatively low mileage. Mine was under 30k. It might also get worse over time.

List for the V6 in no particular order:
Battery. Weak
Battery cables high resistance...... including the Y cable and engine ground cable
Dirty or loose connections any where in the start system.
Starter itself
Starter solenoid ( internal contacts) ***my personal favorite*****
Start relay
Key immobilizer signal
Transmission selector switch/cable

Use a general info ....Again this V6 stuff^^^^^^^ might have nothing to do with newer 4 cyl models.

Think you might be the first for the 4 cylinder no crank.

sprinterPaul
04-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Mine has done it since new. Maybe 1 in 20 starts. Always fires second time after going back to left.

2016 I4

Bobnoxious
04-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Mine has done it since new. Maybe 1 in 20 starts. Always fires second time after going back to left.

2016 I4

It just might be the quirky nature of the beast. If it always starts after turning the key completely to the left, then I'd be inclined to ignore it as is might be some kind of reset. I just fear that taking it to the dealer may result in disturbing other components and causing further problems. Only God knows what goes on inside a dealership.

Ho-Hum
04-04-2017, 01:49 AM
I just fear that taking it to the dealer may result in disturbing other components and causing further problems. Only God knows what goes on inside a dealership.

AMEN!

Giver123
04-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Many of us have had the "click no crank" on the V6......... there are multiple posts and with list of the possible causes for the V6. The V6 probelm can be very intermittent when it first occurs. V6 probelm can also can occur at relatively low mileage. Mine was under 30k. It might also get worse over time.

List for the V6 in no particular order:
Battery. Weak
Battery cables high resistance...... including the Y cable and engine ground cable
Dirty or loose connections any where in the start system.
Starter itself
Starter solenoid ( internal contacts) ***my personal favorite*****
Start relay
Key immobilizer signal
Transmission selector switch/cable

Use a general info ....Again this V6 stuff^^^^^^^ might have nothing to do with newer 4 cyl models.

Think you might be the first for the 4 cylinder no crank.

Thanks for that but I had my last six cylinder for 11 years and never once experienced the no crank. Just a little paranoid never wioll start.

Giver123
04-04-2017, 07:28 AM

2016 I4

Have you contacted your dealer concerning the issue?

showkey
04-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Thanks for that but I had my last six cylinder for 11 years and never once experienced the no crank. Just a little paranoid never wioll start.

.........that's way the V6 acts too ..........for others benefit, won't fail to start in the beginning just takes multiple attempts.

Consider your self lucky on starters until now.
:hmmm:Note, first year for V6 2007 so 11 years ? Does not compute.:bash:

sprinterPaul
04-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Have you contacted your dealer concerning the issue?

I have not. If it occurs more frequently I will probably deal with it prior to 36k warranty end.

Giver123
04-05-2017, 10:47 AM
I have not. If it occurs more frequently I will probably deal with it prior to 36k warranty end.

I think I worked out the problem between this forum group and my MB dealer. What I gathered is that there is a lot of computer checks and what is known as system waking up when the ignition key is inserted and while turning through the stages until startup. If I turn the key to swiftly it may bypass some of the system checks and failed to start. I am now going to get in the habit of turning the key slowly through its stages and see if the problem goes away.

It's funny though how we transition from one act to another. Meaning, during the winter months I always turn the key on and off multiple times to pre-glow but as soon as it gets warm I'm turning the key in the ignition as fast as I can without realizing the speed. Now I must start turning the key slowly until I get into a habit.

Anyway this thread turned out to be a good one because there are no alarms sounding off from you guys:thumbup:

Thank you group!!

Bobnoxious
04-05-2017, 01:40 PM
I think I worked out the problem between this forum group and my MB dealer. What I gathered is that there is a lot of computer checks and what is known as system waking up when the ignition key is inserted and while turning through the stages until startup. If I turn the key to swiftly it may bypass some of the system checks and failed to start. I am now going to get in the habit of turning the key slowly through its stages and see if the problem goes away.

It's funny though how we transition from one act to another. Meaning, during the winter months I always turn the key on and off multiple times to pre-glow but as soon as it gets warm I'm turning the key in the ignition as fast as I can without realizing the speed. Now I must start turning the key slowly until I get into a habit.

Anyway this thread turned out to be a good one because there are no alarms sounding off from you guys:thumbup:

Thank you group!!

Ii may not be necessary but I hold off on starting until the dash stops blinking and chirping.