Oil/grime on engine block

danpaul000

A man, a van, no plan
Hi all,

I'm starting some minor mechanical jobs under the hood on my 05 t1n om647. I purchased it recently with 200k miles. I don't have any long term service records for the vehicle, but it drives really well right now.

I noticed some buildup on the engine block of what looks like oil or some other black gunky stuff. In the under side of the block, it's on both sides, as well as some near the top of the head. I'm not sure what I'm looking at here.

It's not black death, I checked all the injectors and everything under the cover looks really clean.

The first two photos were from lying on my back facing up at the lower halfof the engine block. On the compressor side, those hoses were a little wet, but the liquid, though dirty, came off and looked/felt like water. On the other side by the alternator and on top of the engine, it is drier and gritty. Any thoughts on what I'm looking at?

Thanks,
Dan

Enviado desde mi SM-G930V mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
But be very careful, Sprinters are VERY fussy about having their engines washed!

There have been numerous postings in the time I have been on the forum about electrical faults as a result of washing an engine. Better possibly just to wipe it clean if it bothers you that much.

Keith.

D

Deleted member 50714

SHAM WOW! Looks like the classic Iffy Lube afterbirth! Even small amounts of spilled motor oil by a negligent, dope smoking, minimum wage earning teenager will create an unsightly mess. Yuck! I drape the area around the oil filler with shop rags to catch any spilled oil. Oh yeah, and wipe any spilled

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric Experience

Dan.
You engine looks normal for a vehicle that has done a few miles. If you want to tidy it up you could get a can of degreaser and just spray the oil not the sensors and then wipe it down. The important cleaning job on a sprinter is under the plastic steps, dirt gets in there and can start rust so best you clean them as well, Eric.

D

Deleted member 50714

If I may suggest, on a slightly warm engine, Gunk brand or equivalent engine degreaser followed-up with a careful rinse with water avoiding electrical components, followed by compressed air and a drying period before start up. Things Quick Lube joints can't afford to do. I avoid use of carburetor or brake cleaners as they may be corrosive to plastic components, such as, electrical connectors, rubber hoses, plastic plenums, etc. I would bet a paycheck, most of the oil is the result of carelessness while pouring the oil and changing oil/fuel filters.

Aerospace mantra: "Clean as you go!"

Last edited by a moderator:

danpaul000

A man, a van, no plan
Thanks all for your responses. I don't need or expect the engine to be spotless, just the distribution of the oil was a little concerning to me, wasn't sure if it was indicating a more serious problem, ie leak or spray from a critical component.

Thanks,
Dan

talkinghorse43

1st pic looks like a weep where oil return from turbo penetrates the block - I have had the same since day 1 - no problem.
2nd pic looks like a weep from the power steering reservoir - again, I have the same and I watch the level - very slow leak.
3rd pic is probably from oil fill spills.
All-in-all, no biggee. I welcome a little oil as it helps keep rust at bay. In fact, anywhere in the engine compartment where there's rusty steel and no oil film, I apply one. Also have added a yearly oil bath to all the undercarriage sheet metal and rocker panel, door, etc. cavities.

Top Bottom