Maximum amount of oil?

noercarr

Just got a 2010 3.0 v6 with 39k. Decided to change the oil and check the brakes at the same time.

Removed the drain plug (driver's side) and jacked up the passenger front to check the pads. This allowed pretty complete draining to the point there was nothing coming out. Lowered the vehicle. Replaced the filter and poured 12.5 quarts in, capped it up and started the engine. Revved to 2k rpm for a little bit, checked the oil stick - barely at minimum. Added another 1/4 quart, checked and just a small bump up. Finished the 13th quart and the level is still in the red.

Before I go adding anymore, am I doing something wrong? Did that slight jacking up actually help in losing another quart?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If using synthetic oil, leave it a 1/2 quart low.

UNLESS it's warm / hot.

The stuff expands that much.

The oil level has to be below the "add mark" before the oil / engine sensor states to "add quart".

edit: I haven't changed my own oil, ,,,,,, yet. Always the dealership. Have had to add a quart, due to leaking oil pan. Just a quart, between oil changes.

I've even had it say, "add a quart", & I leave it go because an oil change is coming soon. (It holds 13 +/- quarts of oil, what's 1 quart?)

Last edited:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
I always put in 13.25 US Quarts; and the dip stick reads @ the full mark.
13.21 is what the service Manuel calls, for the 3L V6.
:2cents:

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Just got a 2010 3.0 v6 with 39k. Decided to change the oil and check the brakes at the same time.

Removed the drain plug (driver's side) and jacked up the passenger front to check the pads. This allowed pretty complete draining to the point there was nothing coming out. Lowered the vehicle. Replaced the filter and poured 12.5 quarts in, capped it up and started the engine. Revved to 2k rpm for a little bit, checked the oil stick - barely at minimum. Added another 1/4 quart, checked and just a small bump up. Finished the 13th quart and the level is still in the red.

Before I go adding anymore, am I doing something wrong? Did that slight jacking up actually help in losing another quart?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
You nee to have the oil at operating temp to check it. With that much oil in the sump, the level changes quite a bit from cold to hot.

It's fine to add 12 quarts, get the van warm, and then do your final top-off. There is plenty of oil in the sump for lubrication at that point.

68protour

07 D 144 high rebadged MB
FYI if you add to much oil you'll have the same fun I did. After driving 20 minutes from home big red warning light say "Oil to High" plus something along the words of "stop driving".
Made it back home and had to suck 1/2 a quart of hot oil out because I had to get back on the road to a appointment asap.

Top Bottom